W8 Passat wagon now in my garage...gulp....

Sounds Awesomely!!! That doo-hickey hanging from the rear view gave me a sense of the “G forces” you were achieving. What kind of tires were you running?
Your co-pilot seemed to enjoy the ride 😊

Sounds Awesomely!!! That doo-hickey hanging from the rear view gave me a sense of the “G forces” you were achieving. What kind of tires were you running?
Your co-pilot seemed to enjoy the ride 😊
That's just an airfreshener...."Grocery Getter"..hahahahaha. Those are just Nitto Neogen high performance all seasons...nothing fancy. He loves riding along.

Had it delivered last week from Doug Demuro's auction site Cars & Bids: Auctions of cool modern cars, trucks, and SUVs (carsandbids.com)

I always wanted one and remember when they were first out - these were $40K new and I probably made that n 2003..hahaha. I've been spending time going over it an fixing any minor things that I can. Only major things I see are d. side CV boot torn, center diff rear seal leaking, and a/c compressor doesn't appear to be working. I am a VW guy and have the necessary scan tool etc. and the a/c appears to be a fualty high pressure switch. Will be having my trusted Euro/VW shop spend a day with it and look at the issues that I will not be tackling. Interior is immaculate and nearly everything is functional. I'll likely lower it on sport springs and do some sort of custom exhaust to unleash the glorious W8 sound! Had an oil change before I took delivery using M1 0W40 so good there but likely will add some Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver to help with a few weeps.

I was always a fan of this generation as well. I remember going to look at one and I swear the interior on it was just as nice if not nicer than the comparable Audi A6 which it may or may not have shared the same platform with. Personally, I’m not a fan of lowering only because these handle so beautifully like German cars from that era did, but I’m sure it will look sharp no matter what you decide. Count me as “jealous“ 😎

I was always a fan of this generation as well. I remember going to look at one and I swear the interior on it was just as nice if not nicer than the comparable Audi A6 which it may or may not have shared the same platform with. Personally, I’m not a fan of lowering only because these handle so beautifully like German cars from that era did, but I’m sure it will look sharp no matter what you decide. Count me as “jealous“ 😎
No lowering here - I've had it a year now and went with Bilstein B6s on the stock sport springs. It's perfect that way and does handle well actually.

Been a while so here's an update. Will be coming up on 2 years in not too long with this German Panzer Tank beast! I drive it regularly so that's a few times a week mostly short trips around town plus the kids drive it as well but it did make a ~1K rountrip to GA in 2021 without drama. I just got it back from the shop I use (that isn't scared to work on it/source parts for it!) for a malfunctioning thermostat - that part is still produced at a cool ~$800..hahahaah. Also did the expansion tank as it was cracked/leaking and the upper radiator hose, the two later parts were sourced from Latvia. At this point I'm in about $10K on this thing for just repairs and it's like folks say...owning this isn't for the faint at heart but when you hear that Wookie howl exhaust it's so good....if you have the means I highly recommend it...it's so choice....

I just sourced a balance shaft belt to keep in case the f. end is ever off as this part was discontinued but folks were able to convince Continental to produce more. The headlights are appaling as the bowls are cooked from the DRLs so may make that a winter project to either get new ones (you can still find them but $$$$) or just rebuild them with new Morimoto HID parts. It's almost un-driveable at night b/c the lights have no throw. AC was leaking but a handy can of the stop leak/charge sorted it...really cold AC! Powersteering pump leaks, I just keep an eye on it/top off as necessary. Needs a new pump/lines.

Some videos if you look around on my YouTube channel:

20220424_134043.jpg
20220424_134151.jpg

20220721_161545.jpg

Worth every penny. :)

Somebody had a recent post of headlight cleaning with an aluminum wheel paste, amazing results you might look into it.

Worth every penny. :)

Somebody had a recent post of headlight cleaning with an aluminum wheel paste, amazing results you might look into it.
The issue isn't the lenses...those are fine/clear. It's the HID bowl in the projector...it's cooked/no reflective coating left b/c this cars runs the HIDs 100% of the time as DRLs.

I’ve used several morimoto projectors from TRS. The D2S units I picked up 3 years ago have a wonderful distribution, better than the smaller kit which I think was H3 style. BUT, I’ve experienced an odd issue where if the hi/lo relay is connected, the ballast can’t hold the bulb or strike…. On -2- units, tested with 2 ballasts.

ill still use them - just TEST THEM before you seal it all up. In my experience if you do all your troubleshooting homework TRS is more than willing to make things right.

We have mental moments,,,I know I do,,,,,still loving my 96 Sportster, rides rough and so on....my F150, 2010 still runs great,,,good luck on your new to you ride,,,dont forget the Marvel Mystery Oil,lol🚘

Cool.cart delivered last week from Doug Demuro's auction site Cars & Bids: Auctions of cool modern cars, trucks, and SUVs (carsandbids.com)

I always wanted one and remember when they were first out - these were $40K new and I probably made that n 2003..hahaha. I've been spending time going over it an fixing any minor things that I can. Only major things I see are d. side CV boot torn, center diff rear seal leaking, and a/c compressor doesn't appear to be working. I am a VW guy and have the necessary scan tool etc. and the a/c appears to be a fualty high pressure switch. Will be having my trusted Euro/VW shop spend a day with it and look at the issues that I will not be tackling. Interior is immaculate and nearly everything is functional. I'll likely lower it on sport springs and do some sort of custom exhaust to unleash the glorious W8 sound! Had an oil change before I took delivery using M1 0W40 so good there but likely will add some Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver to help with a few weeps.
Cool car. The sold the awd W8 passats with a manual transmission as well. Apparently from the numbers only 100 were shipped to the USA.

These are IMO one of the best wagons ever. I remember when this gen Passat came out.... lots of attention to the interior, the daring (for the day) blue/orange instrument lighting, and VW was in a hayday with the wr6, new I4 turbo, and tdi.

were all passats longitudinal? I thought they were cross-wise like everyone else.

im not a VW guy.... we got burned by a few in the 70s and 80s and i just couldn’t go there. But I became a Volvo guy and it’s probably a similar “disease” - you know VWs so this is in your wheelhouse. And I admire this one - I would not turn down an 03 tdi if it showed up in my driveway!

great car!
Got some reason VW decided to neuter the last two generations of passat for the US market. They dropped the manual transmission option and didn't offer awd when many manufacturers were adding awd. I have seen exactly one tdi manual passat in person. That was a unicorn.

Cool car. The sold the awd W8 passats with a manual transmission as well. Apparently from the numbers only 100 were shipped to the USA.
97 wagons with the 6 spd in U.S.

Got some reason VW decided to neuter the last two generations of passat for the US market. They dropped the manual transmission option and didn't offer awd when many manufacturers were adding awd. I have seen exactly one tdi manual passat in person. That was a unicorn.
B5 Passat was basically Audi. Longitudinal engine, more complex front suspension, Torsen.
VW killed that concept in 2006 with B6 Passat which got back transverse engine etc. B5 Passat became a problem for Audi, especially in Europe. One could argue that current VW woes are caused with the direction of trying to separate Audi more from VW.
In US, VW REALLY decided to drop the axe and separate Audi from VW. The result is confused VW brand and Audi which has never been weaker.

B6 had a cool awd wagon variant with the 3.6 VR6 but only auto I believe. After that it went downhill here in the U.S.

B6 had a cool awd wagon variant with the 3.6 VR6 but only auto I believe. After that it went downhill here in the U.S.
It's odd how certain markets get variations on vehicles. A guy in Denver converted his Audi S8 to a manual. Apparently that was an option in Europe but not the USA. On the flipside the USA and Canada had the manual transmission option for the F10 BMW M5 as supposedly there was enough demand yet wasn't offered in Europe.

B5 Passat was basically Audi. Longitudinal engine, more complex front suspension, Torsen.
VW killed that concept in 2006 with B6 Passat which got back transverse engine etc. B5 Passat became a problem for Audi, especially in Europe. One could argue that current VW woes are caused with the direction of trying to separate Audi more from VW.
In US, VW REALLY decided to drop the axe and separate Audi from VW. The result is confused VW brand and Audi which has never been weaker.
I worked at a VW dealership for almost a year. I started two weeks maybe three before dieselgate happened. At one point we had executives come from Chattanooga and show us the "new" Passat built there. I chatted with several executives and highly suggested that they bring over the Amarok but build it here and maybe give it a different name for our market. I had so many customers that said they'd bring cash the second VW offered a pickup truck. From talking with the dealership owners VW is in a weird spot in the USA. VW positioned itself as a more upscale brand but if it goes too upscale or high tech it steps on Audi sales. It was rumored that VW was considering bringing the Seat or Skoda brand to the USA as a more entry level option to VW, but not sure how well that would have gone over. Shoot 12 years ago Dongfeng, and Geely supposedly purchased dealerships with the intention of selling Chinese vehicles in the usa.

Back