VW's Emissions Retrofit May Be Among Costliest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Funny most of you don't bat an eye when the government abuses the people, it's just because VW is a private entity, right..an "evil" corporation. If the government made cars you wound't question a thing.

Not only VW have to fix the half million diesel cars in US, they have to fix 10.5 million diesel cars worldwide.

No, I'm not slamming VW in this post, I'm just posting an article about a very costly mistake VW committed.

What do you think VW should do now ? Don't fix anything ?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: tcp71
It's enforced when he goes to register the vehicle in his name and is required to provide a letter from the dealer that all recalls have been performed.

so in canada every single vehicle transaction involves a trip to the DEALER? holy smokes!
do you people have that much free time?
who wants to go to the dealer on their day off and sit around a for a few hours?

w_t_f are you talking about? adding the urea fluid?

Again, wolfgang Bearnhard told them to liscense blue tec, but obnoxious higher ups at VW, thumbed their nose and once they couldnt meet the emissions standard cheated.

Bearnhard was given the boot for being a non team player.

THis couldnt happen to a nicer company
wink.gif

The stigma around this issue is getting crazy. Someone I know had his MK6 GTI keyed yesterday and a card left under the wiper saying "f*** Volkswagen". And that car isn't even a diesel!

Most states with emissions testing only check the OBD system, which it will pass anyway, with no way of knowing whether the recall was performed.

And a few of the states with inspection exempt diesels.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I'm guessing the fix is cheaper than buyback and crushing.

Why crush when you can buyback and resale to third world.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
What kind of person would bring their VW TDI in for this "service" ?

the mentally insane tree huggers are the only ones who come to mind.

That being said I may start looking around for an undoctored TDI Jetta wagon at 50% less than the kbb blue book value...

In the long term, I do not think non-compliance of any fix will be avoidable by any TDI owner. The simple fact is each vehicle is illegally non-compliant in relation to emissions. I can see the EPA eventually pushing the issue for VW to show compliance for every single vehicle with whatever recall comes about or have any non-compliant vehicle confiscated and crushed for which the EPA has the power to do.
Florida, among others, doesn't test for emissions. They are in a clean air zone where even the EPA can't force it upon them.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Most states with emissions testing only check the OBD system, which it will pass anyway, with no way of knowing whether the recall was performed.

And a few of the states with inspection exempt diesels.

Correct, hereabouts they plug into the OBD II port and if no codes show triggered or pending you're on your way. Makes one wonder how VW got caught.

Running the EPA program code all the time would probably yield lower real life mpgs thus stirring up the dissatisfaction of customers..lawsuits like what happened to other companies.

The bean counters must have gone over the choice to run EPA program code vs the urine fix...and decided urine is less beans.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What do you think VW should do now ? Don't fix anything ?

I have the solution. It has recent precedent too.
Remember when GM emerged from bankruptcy and changed its name to the "New GM"?
VW could declare bankruptcy, change its name to "New VW", and not owe anybody anything, just like GM did! Very clever. GM simply said "We're not the same old company, technically we are a different company now, so we have no liability for old GM problems now." They actually did that. It was amazing when it happened. VW could too.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: tcp71
It's enforced when he goes to register the vehicle in his name and is required to provide a letter from the dealer that all recalls have been performed.

so in canada every single vehicle transaction involves a trip to the DEALER? holy smokes!
do you people have that much free time?
who wants to go to the dealer on their day off and sit around a for a few hours?

w_t_f are you talking about? adding the urea fluid?

no if you read the thread he said that when you sell a car in alberta canada you have to have a ceertificate from the dealer showing that there are no recalls on the vehicle.
thx for the post bruh

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how much nanny there is in the nanny state you live in.

+1 if it was a software cheat not sure how it can be anything other than a software fix.

+1 I would never go have it "FIXed" unless it was at the barrel of a gun.

Originally Posted By: bruno
Definitely time to reform the EPA .

Yeah! Because this is all the EPA's fault. LOL.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Yeah! Because this is all the EPA's fault. LOL.

I blame the EPA for not being clever enough to figure it out the FIRST year it happened. It took non-EPA watchdogs to break the story, people who are now heroes of VW software engineers BTW....
spankme2.gif

EPA has seen software cheats before, so why not do a little something to check for high levels of noxious fumes (some here luv to breathe it in) off-rollers?

Why ? What did EPA do to VW ? Did EPA do anything illegal ?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
The article is speculating about the urea fix. At this point we don't know what the fix will be.
The fix will be to put Chevy Cruze diesel engines in all the VW-Audi stinkers. Cheaper that way.

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus

EPA has seen software cheats before, so why not do a little something to check for high levels of noxious fumes (some here luv to breathe it in) off-rollers?

If they went to Congress and asked for $1 for a gizmo to sit roadside and sniff out cars that had already passed their barrage of tests, Congress would ask why, and deny them.

Comparing a giant corporation gaming an emissions test on millions of cars to a tiny hundredth percentage of diesel truck owners who put in tunes is ludicrous. Dodge sold the truck compliant with the rules. Who is supposed to chase down the coal rollers?

What a mess, some owners want their TDIs to stay as is, other cheapskates want to buy them for %50 off, some are upset over the deception and tanking resale value. A marketing guy at work who puts on big miles was quite pleased that his TDI got great mileage and was "clean". He's certainly not a mouth-breather, cheapskate tree-hugger and he's not at all happy with VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back