VW507 OCI CATA

I have a 2010 Audi Q7 with a (CATA) 3.0 V6 TDI. Blackstone Labs recommended I dial back my oil change interval from 10,000 to 7,500 due to above average Iron and aluminium.

Has anyone been able to get a healthy UOA using the 10,000 mile OCI? If so with what oil?

Last edited:
It is not on either the Audi nor the VW list.

Why individuals insist on using these unapproved oils is just a mystery to me. Schaeffer’s included especially considering they list it as recommended or suitable for multiple incompatible approvals.

Is this Triax actually an approved oil?

At least I don't see it:

At just 9,9 cSt it's below what's common for VW 504 00/507 00 and the moderate fuel content doesn't explain this. I'd bet HTHS is near 3,0 instead of 3,5 (which is minimum for virgin 504 00/507 00 and I bet there are certain stay-in-grade requirements). Do we have a VOA of this oil?
That said, I don't agree with everything Blackstone say. While it's always a good idea checking air boxes for leaks and it's actually true that Fe at 139 ppm and Al at 62 ppm are somewhat elevated even for a Diesel engine, silicon is still normal. Remember most of this 12 ppm Si likely is anti-foaming additive. Cr and Cu are fine, while Mo and Ti are probably from FM additives of previous oil fills, perhaps Boron as well. I highly doubt lead is from bearing wear as Blackstone claim. Audi certainly didn't use leaded bearings in 2010 anymore. Should we blame Diesel fuel or whatever? Any engine repairs done with aftermarket parts?
Anyway, I'd recommend going back to 7500 mls and using an approved oil, see VW 507 00 table above. This link will direct to the latest. M1 ESP 5W-30 and Ravenol VMP 5W-30 are great choices if Diesel fuel doesn't exceed certain sulphur limits. Personally I prefer Ravenol REP 5W-30 to them, but REP lacks VW approvals (however it's got several BMW and MB ones instead) and that's just me. To be clear, you're safe with any VW 507 00 approved oil.

shorter changes are a good thing for sure + being without a warranty use what you want as it matters NOT + approved oils are NOT necessarily better IMO! i used unapproved real synthetic 10-30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T for trouble free 200 thou until i traded just because, + use unapproved oils in my 2001 TT 225Q roadster as well. approved oils are BS IMO unless recommended for warranty!

I run 5k on the oil and 10k on the filter in my CATA.

I don't trust the "fix" with regards to more EGR, more fuel, more regens, different shift points, etc.

So I keep it to 5k with approved oil in case I need the extended warranty for HPFP, turbo, or timing chains.

Once the warranty is up and I spend some money with our friends up north I will go to 10k OCI.

a great performer + somewhat economical BUT hoping you did some research on that engine as depending on the miles + upkeep repairs are big $$$$. good luck as some owners are "lucky" others not so much + if you are a DIYer especially a savy one you can save if the simpler issues arise, good luck!!

I would be very vigilant on using an approved oil until you hit that 12 year 162k mile extended warranty VW was forced to extend on these dieselgate vehicles. I am sure they would love to deny a claim because of it. Keep good records also, of this and other required maintenance. That being said, any 504/507 with official VW approval will be fine, follow the sales on M1 ESP 5W30 at NAPA or whatever else is out there. TRIAX seems pretty shady as they baited and switched an order on me a couple years ago and their approval/recommended/suitable language is suspect as they make nobodies actual list for approvals, or didn't in the past. I'm using the M1 ESP but also have Valvoline 504/507 in one vehicle and Red Line in another. At least with Red Line and probably Amsoil, they will stand behind you if there is a dispute about their product suitability if they recommend it. I have also used Ravenol in the past and it is good but somewhat expensive. Motul specific is also a good, sorta expensive alternative. I use Castrol for oil bath air filters.

Last edited:
Now there's actually a UOA where "wear numbers" are really telling us something. This oil is a poor choice for your Audi. Definitely switch to something approved, preferably from a major then check back and see what you get. JMO.

With the stupid EGR, DEF and other emissions crap on these TDi's I won't go beyond 7500miles on any OCI. Too much working against your oil. My '13 Passat TDi also calls for 10k OCI's on the 507 oil but when I dump it at 7500 its nasty! Dark black, stinks terribly and is water thin. I use approved, name brand oils and I'd never use something like this Triax you mention, who the heck makes it? Why did you use it in the first place?

I would be very vigilant on using an approved oil until you hit that 12 year 162k mile extended warranty VW was forced to extend on these dieselgate vehicles. I am sure they would love to deny a claim because of it. Keep good records also, of this and other required maintenance. That being said, any 504/507 with official VW approval will be fine, follow the sales on M1 ESP 5W30 at NAPA or whatever else is out there. TRIAX seems pretty shady as they baited and switched an order on me a couple years ago and their approval/recommended/suitable language is suspect as they make nobodies actual list for approvals, or didn't in the past. I'm using the M1 ESP but also have Valvoline 504/507 in one vehicle and Red Line in another. At least with Red Line and probably Amsoil, they will stand behind you if there is a dispute about their product suitability if they recommend it. I have also used Ravenol in the past and it is good but somewhat expensive. Motul specific is also a good, sorta expensive alternative. I use Castrol for oil bath air filters.
Triax doesn’t even understand what is VW504.00/507.00 specification as they mix 5W40 when recommending it.
It is shadiest of all these blenders.

shorter changes are a good thing for sure + being without a warranty use what you want as it matters NOT + approved oils are NOT necessarily better IMO! i used unapproved real synthetic 10-30 in my 2001 jetta 1.8T for trouble free 200 thou until i traded just because, + use unapproved oils in my 2001 TT 225Q roadster as well. approved oils are BS IMO unless recommended for warranty!
IMO is the key here. It just your opinion. You don’t have ANY facts for what you state.
Approvals are cheap. Nothing stops those companies to get approval if their oil is so good or better.
But, no they cannot pass test requirements.

Back