VW warranty extension....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received a letter from VW stating that certain 2014-2015 VW vehicles have a warranty extension (10 years / 100K miles) on the steering column lock housing. We have had this issue our Jetta twice where the key becomes difficult to remove and will even get stuck at times. Both cases were under warranty and covered, so it's nice to know VW is stepping up and extending the warranty.

Originally Posted by gregk24
We have had this issue our Jetta twice where the key becomes difficult to remove and will even get stuck at times. Both cases were under warranty and covered, so it's nice to know VW is stepping up and extending the warranty.

1. It never should have happened in the first place, but if it did it should have been fixed right the first time.
2. VW doesn't have a choice-they're not "stepping up", they've been forced to extend the warranty.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
We have had this issue our Jetta twice where the key becomes difficult to remove and will even get stuck at times. Both cases were under warranty and covered, so it's nice to know VW is stepping up and extending the warranty.

1. It never should have happened in the first place, but if it did it should have been fixed right the first time.
2. VW doesn't have a choice-they're not "stepping up", they've been forced to extend the warranty.

I have to agree. This problem shouldn't have appeared in the first place, but especially not multiple times after that. Faulty parts they can't improve? They better be covered for longer.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

I have to agree. This problem shouldn't have appeared in the first place, but especially not multiple times after that. Faulty parts they can't improve? They better be covered for longer.

Hopefully this is an improved part, since the warranty extension only covers 2014-2015 model years. That leads me to believe 2016+ don't have the issue and possibly an updated part.

Stuff happens, cars aren't perfect. Remember Toyota zip tying floor mats to seat tracks and cutting the bottom of gas pedals with hacksaws? That never should have happened either.

Toyota has had worse problems which resulted in deaths due to unintended acceleration. All car companies are fallible.

2012s also have this issue. I have had mine replaced twice too. Luckily the first one under powertrain warranty and the last one under extended warranty. Just a month before the extended warranty.

Originally Posted by Nick1994

At least their ignitions didn't kill people.

At least they didn't try to cover it up.

Just one direct comparison. All brands have recalls, both silent and public, warranty extensions, TSBs, etc.

Our old Subaru and my current Acura had a bunch of goodwill campaigns. I don't think they are always forced and many times goodwill. My MDX got a steering pump and my prior 2005 Subaru rear wheel bearings at 97k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back