VW W8 and Motul 8100 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car is a VW Passat with W8 engine. I've used the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 since the inservice date, per dealer service. Looking for some added protection now. I saw an ad for Motul 8100 Ester E-Tech 0W-40 and was impressed.

The only concern I have, which is a BIG one, is that reading the owners manual, it clearly states to use a 5W-40 oil. Some people say at long as it meets VW specs it won't void the warranty. I'm not exactly sure how to verify that...perhaps call VOA? That could be a problem since I'm under VW factory warranty and have an extended warranty which requires me to follow manufacturer specifications. Any insight? I had a fellow W8 owner recommend Pentosynth 5W-40. Any help would be appreciated.

Motul 8100 Ester E-Tech meets all VW specs:
STANDARDS - ACEA A3 / B3 / B4
APPROVALS API SJ / CF
VW 502 00 / 505 00 / 503.01 - Mercedes Benz 229.3 - Porsche

i could be wrong about this but it should be fine as long as your car requires oil that meets one of the 502.00/505.00/503.01 specs. if there is a way you could contact vw's tech line, dont know if they would be much help or not.

VW manuals generally list a required oil specification in addition to a recommended grade. Your engine probably requires a VW 502.00 or 503.01 approved oil, so Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a choice as it is approved for both 502.00 and 503.01 apps.

I think protection will be about the same regardless of the oil brand provided that it meets the required specs.

Amsoil 5w-40 is also a good alternative but note that it is not VW approved, but is only recommended for 502.00 and 503.01 by Amsoil.

I believe that you can also use Castrol Syntec 5W-40 which meets the 502 spec.

We use this in our Audi 1.8T when M1 0W-40 is not available. I recently changed the valve cover gasket and was pleasantly surprised to see a very clean top end at 70,000 miles. That was with the larger filter, the oils mentioned, and 4000-4500 OCI's. I also add 6-8oz of LC at each oil change.

As you probably know, there are issues with sludge in these engines, I think due to the long dealer OCI, small engine oil capacity, and the bulk oil that they use (regular dino in many cases).

Anyway, based on my experience, I think that M1 or the Syntec would be fine. Nothing against the Amsoil, I just don't use it, that's all.

"VW says you can use 0w40 or 5w30 if you can't find 5w40, so long as the oil also meets VW 502.00. My dealer uses Mobil 1, so they are putting in 0w40."

This is correct, but good luck putting your paws on a 502.00 approved 5w30.
wink.gif

8100 has 502/503.01/505 approvals, so you're fine.

Well, it's 8100, so you're well beyond fine.

It's the only 502 approved, ester based group V oil.

quote:

This is correct, but good luck putting your paws on a 502.00 approved 5w30.

Interesting. I wanted to prove you wrong, but I couldn't. All the 5w-30 oils on the Audi TSB list are either not available in the US or are mistakes, like Valvoline SynPower 5w-30, which is still in TSB, yet it's not a 502.00 oil per Valvoline.

quote:

8100 has 502/503.01/505 approvals, so you're fine.

Well, it's 8100, so you're well beyond fine.

It's the only 502 approved, ester based group V oil.

That's what I figured. I see The Motul 8100 xcess 5W-40 as an approved VW oil. Maybe VW just hasn't updated their own internal list. But like you said, well beyond fine.

Do I need to worry about any detrimental effects associated with using Castrol Syntec 5W-40 since day one and the ester-metal bonding properties of Motul 8100 Ester E-Tech? I read on other posts about that specific property being diminished with prior use of certain oils.

The other oil I'm considering is Pentosynth 5W-40. But being a scientist, this Motul E-Tech and the ester bonding has me sold, lol.

Plus right on Motul's product spec sheet it says:
Recommended for Audi TT and S3 and all W engines from Volkswagen group.

Worry about detrimental effects of Syntec 5w-40? No.

Metal-bonding? Heh... sounds like marketing ** to me. Is there any hard facts behind this? FYI, in Europe, Castrol has been riding a similar slogan for years with their Magnatec line of oils, claiming it "clings" to metal surfaces and protects better even if there is no oil (like at startup). I have yet to see any benefit of this through UOA in even higher-end Castrol products such as GC.

Just use any oil that meets the VW specs and your warranty requirements and you'll be fine.

Might I suggest ELF Excellium LDX 5W-40? This oil meets the VW 502/505 specs and you can get a discount on it too. There is a site sponsor that sells this oil and from what I can find it seems to be a well made oil. Go to the Sponsors area and look for ELF Distributor and tell him your are a BITOG member and he will help you out.

Do you guys recommend a specific distributor to buy from? The Motul and Pentosin Oils seem hard to come by. Plus prices vary significantly.

I live in Delaware (near Philly). Not sure if someone knows a local place that may carry it?

Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic 5-30 meets:

VW 502.00 and 505.00
MB 229.3 and 229.1
BMW LL01/98
ACEA A3/B3/B4

Maxlife line of oils are supposed to be "on the thick" side of their given weight.

I ended up getting 2 cases of Motul 8100 E-Tech 0W-40 from a Group buy. $140/case, 20x1L bottles/case, that's $7/bottle! He lives close by so no shipping necessary, that was the key.
I know to some that may be alot, but want to give my rare W8 the best.

Thanks for your advise. I'll update you guys on how it's running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back