VW transmission oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright ive been battling out with a few guys on a vw board about what tranny oil is best for my 84 scirocco. Ive used Redline after i got the tranny rebuilt, i put about 40k miles on the tranny with that oil. I decided to change it and when i draind the oil i found it to be like new. hardly any signs of use, and i never really had any problem shifting. Now after consulting the vw board on what oil to use I was told never never use Redline or Amsoil in my vw tranny. I have been recomended by numerous vw tuners ( even the mechanic that did my tranny at a vw spacific shop ) all of them said Redline Mt-90 "its the best you can get for these cars" The 3 or guys that are rippin on Redline clame that it was the casue of numerous tranny failures but fail to show any info other than personal feeling twards the lube. Do any of you know much about Redline, any issues of it failing to do its job or destorying a tranny .

BTW im now using GM syncromesh and loving it. It seems to feel better when i drive on a cold mornings.

If a GL-4 lube in that viscosity range is specified for your Scirocco, then MT-90 will be just fine. I'm using MT-90 in my '96 Audi, and it works great. I used to have two Sciroccos ('81 and '89), but I never changed the tranny fluid and I can't remember what spec was required.

Thanks for the link. It does help to get more that two views on a product.
cool.gif

I just recently changed my MkIV GTI 1.8T tranny fluid to SF MTL-R and have been happy with the results. Hasn't been in long eough to really judge how much imporved it is from the OEM fluid, but it does feel pretty smooth so far.

If the 'Rocco specs GL-4 you should be ok going with the MTL-R.

Redline will protect your car better in the long term as compared to Synchromesh, but you are correct about cold temp shifting being better with Synchromesh. You might want to consider Redline MTL if your tranny can take a 70w-80 fluid, it is a tad thicker than Synchromesh but is a full synthetic with antiwear additives and made to work well with synchros. I'd recommend the Redline product that best meets your manufacturer viscosity recommendation.

As for the stories about Redline killing trannies, those are all internet rumours. I spoke with Dave at Redline about them and according to him no person has ever contacted Redline about a tranny failure claim attributed to their fluids. Lots of guys posting b.s. on the internet but no one calling Redline with complaints. I'm using Redline MTL in my turbo dodge 5 speed, and it has been working great. If you need a thicker fluid then I would go with MT-90.

MTL-R is simply the best GL-4 fluid i've used in my VW 02J box(75W-90 is recommended).

i heard about this on vortex, the EP additives in a GL5 oil can attack the brass synchro rings on transmissions not rated for GL5 oil and the oil is too slippery for proper synchro operation.
a GL4 like MT-90 should be ok.

What should be used in a late-model Mark lV five speed? Mine has 100,000 kilometres on the original fluid and everyone (including a couple of VAG dealers) tells me that it is a lifetime fluid - whatever THAT is... Anyway, I'm not happy with the suggestion. Was also told that it's a b!tch to replace but I have not first-hand experience in that regard.

John.

The Synchromesh fluid is much too low in viscosity for that transmission.

Our MTL-R is a 75W90 GL4/GL5 that works very well in VW manual transmissions. It has solved many hard shift and cold weather problems.

I've used Amsoil in VW/Audi transaxles and differentials since 1980, with excellent results. That's longer than most of the so called oil "expert's" on the VW Vortex, or Audiworld.com have even been alive, much less capable of rational thought. Come to think of it, I'm not sure most of them are capable of rational thought now?, but I digress...
wink.gif

Redline MTL and MT-90 are also excellent choices for this application. In particular if you live in a very cold climate, the SAE 70w-80, Redline MTL or a similar viscosity syncromesh oil are the fluids of choice.

Tooslick

VW recommends synthetic 75W90 for the trannys and Redline's 75W90 is GL5 so maybe that’s where the problems came from.

quote:

Originally posted by baomo:
VW recommends synthetic 75W90 for the trannys and Redline's 75W90 is GL5 so maybe that’s where the problems came from.

The MT90 is GL4
The 75w90 is GL5
Two different products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back