VW TDI diesel 505.01 oils, preferred?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Word to the wise... change your fuel filter about every 15,000 on the TDIs, they really need it. I changed my dad's at 20,000 and it was soot black and it fixed a stumble at idle.

Quote:

Word to the wise... change your fuel filter about every 15,000 on the TDIs, they really need it. I changed my dad's at 20,000 and it was soot black and it fixed a stumble at idle.

I changed the fuel filter during the 20,000 mile service. I have to wonder if the lift pump in the fuel tank has a sock type filter on it as many do, and if so if it gets obstructed by fine debris in the diesel fuel. I agree that diesel fuel seems notorious for having more debris in the underground storage tanks at fuel stations, etc. If there is a bulb/sock filter on the fuel tank lift pump seems like it would be the first to clog up.

There should be spin on filters on the pump equivalent to your own fuel filter. At least thats what I have seen when the pump covers were off for service.

The only way dirt is getting anyones tank is from the tank being open to the air during filling.

If your fuel filter is soot black then you need to change stations.

The dealer telling people to change every 5k is just another way to get money out of people.

Gentlemen:
Can you help with clarification here? I have a 2005 Jetta 1.9 PD Diesel wagon and I live in Minnesota. At the time of my first oil change, I was a bit shocked to discover that the dealer price was nearly $8 per litre. In checking with my local auto parts outlets (Auto Zone, Checker, NAPA, etc., back in early 2006), I couldn't seem to find ANY oil that met the 505.01 requirement. In perusing both the BITOG and Bentley forums, I have read comments about AMSOIL European Blend, Valvoline SYNPWR, Motul, Elf and Pentosin. Am I correct in assuming that all of these meet the 505.01 standard? Can I also assume that any of the later specs (506.01, 507.01) will EXCEED the 505/01? Lastly, are any of the above-referenced alternatives priced more competitively than the $8 I mentioned above?
Thanks,
ddawg

About the best you will do is $ 7 per liter. I bought a bunch of Motul Specific 505.01 for a little less than that, $ 32.63 per 5 liter jug, so it will be a while before I need to test the true synthetics. I don't trust the Castrol, I understand its mostly Group 1 and Group 2, while the characteristics of the Motul at least indicate Group 3.

Unfortunately, you will never get clear answers on the 505.01 oils. I understand the 507.01 is a true synthetic but am not sure about the 506.01.

I have never seen any of those oil for sale anywhere but at a VW dealer.

Quote:

Gentlemen:
Can you help with clarification here? I have a 2005 Jetta 1.9 PD Diesel wagon and I live in Minnesota. At the time of my first oil change, I was a bit shocked to discover that the dealer price was nearly $8 per litre.

Some dealerships charge even more than that, some charge a bit less. Somewhere between $6-7 is as cheap as you're going to find, and the only way to get that is to find an online vendor that ships for free if you buy $75-100 worth or more.

Quote:

In checking with my local auto parts outlets (Auto Zone, Checker, NAPA, etc., back in early 2006), I couldn't seem to find ANY oil that met the 505.01 requirement.

True. The closest thing to a VW505.01 oil at normal retail outlets is the Quaker State Q Diesel 5w40 that can sometimes be found at Jiffy Lube outlets. This is repackaged Shell Helix Q Diesel, sold in many European countries. The product is good, but I recommend that buy the oil from them and then change it yourself. Or, bring your own oil filter, have them change the oil, but make positively certain that they install the filter properly, that they don't strip the threads on the drain plug/oilpan, that they fill only to the proper level and then give you back the partial container, etc. If you want it done right, you should probably do it yourself.

Quote:

In perusing both the BITOG and Bentley forums, I have read comments about AMSOIL European Blend, Valvoline SYNPWR, Motul, Elf and Pentosin. Am I correct in assuming that all of these meet the 505.01 standard? Can I also assume that any of the later specs (506.01, 507.01) will EXCEED the 505/01? Lastly, are any of the above-referenced alternatives priced more competitively than the $8 I mentioned above?

No one can verify regarding Valvoline. As for the others, they each offer one or more products that meet 505.01 or better. They also offer products that don't -- so do your research.

I suggest you forget about 506.01 -- it is being phased out everywhere, and it wasn't that great in the first place unless you had an engine that produced extremely low levels of soot. One of the important qualities of a diesel engine oil is its ability to handle soot, and the Elf CRV 506.01 failed this test.

Several oils meeting the VW507.00 spec are starting to be offered. I believe all of them are 5w30 viscosity, not 5w40. Oils meeting VW507.00 absolutely meet the older spec for warranty purposes. Many VW dealerships only carry the 507.00 5w30 oil, and have completely stopped carrying the older 5w40 stuff.

Quote:

The closest thing to a VW505.01 oil at normal retail outlets is the Quaker State Q Diesel 5w40 that can sometimes be found at Jiffy Lube outlets. This is repackaged Shell Helix Q Diesel, sold in many European countries.

I forgot to mention that Quaker State and Jiffy Lube are both subsidiaries of Royal Dutch Shell.

Originally Posted By: 1sparrow
I use Schaeffer 9000 5-40 in my 2000 TDI's it is 505.01 and under 16.00 a gal.

I don't believe it is VW approved, which might make a difference to some (PD) people.

Most 505.01 I've seen has ACEA A3/B4 and API SL/CF (Castol, Fuchs, Total/Fina/Elf, etc).

when I first started using Castrol TXT 505.01 5W-40 oil in '05 it was rated API SJ/CF. The second batch of TXT I bought in '06 was a little different looking and had no API rating on the bottle, but a BITOGer from the Ukraine posted a European PDS which showed it was API SL/CF. I have a bottle of the new Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30 which is marked API SL/CF.

Valvoline claims their 5W-40 meets VW 505.01. This is an ACEA A3/B3/B4/C3 and API SM rated oil.

Quote:
After some of the build up and soot that I have seen on my neighbors, sorry, no way.

You're also talking about a Castrol product.
frown.gif
I'd feel better using Valvoline/M1/Amsoil if 10k miles is called for.

At Carquest and NAPA, Pentosin hydraulic fluids are sold for cars that use them exclusively. However, they don't sell other Pentosin products, I guess because there are other products that could take the place.

Autozone, Pep Boys, and Advance Auto don't have any Pentosin products.

Hi Marco
Castrol TXT 50501 5W-40 has the following rating when sold in Germany and the Scandinavian countries :
VW 505 01 / 505 00
Fords WSS-M2C917-A
MB 229.1
ACEA A3/B3
API SJ/CF
further details:
Flashpoint 226 deg Celsius ( ISO 2592 ) (ASTM D 93 )
Density kg/cbm 856.8 (DIN 51757 T4)
Visk. at 40 degr Celsius 95.3 ( DIN 51562)
Visk at 100 degr Celsius 14.4 (DIN 51562)
CCS at -25 degr Celsius 3400 ( DIN 51377)
TBN mg KOH/g 10.2 ( ISO 3771)
Viskosity index 156 ( ISO 2909 )
Sulfat ash 1.2 % wt (ASTM D 874 )
Zinc 0.102 % wt (ASTM D 4951 )
Lowest " pourpoint" ? -51 degr Celsius ( ASTM D 97 )

// Bjorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back