VW reveals electric-powered Pikes Peak contender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Things change, given enough time. I'm not some big fan of electric racing or proponent of electric cars, but I'm sure many horse racing enthusiasts found it hard to get excited about automobile racing.

Yes they do. I think when it comes to racing and performance, electric cars are fun, and even exciting to some degree. (We've all seen the videos of the stripped down Tesla beating the Hellcat). But from a practical standpoint of powering private vehicles across the country in a timely fashion. And on a daily, practical, cost effective basis, we're decades away..... If it ever even happens at all. Battery technology, along with recharge distance and times are no where near where they need to be at this point.

Off in the distant future it may be. But right now these thing are nothing but overpriced toys for the guy who has everything. And simply wants the technology, because he likes and believes in it. And that's just fine. But it's not going to take gasoline powered vehicles off new car lots anytime soon.

I think the problem is people tend to take this Pikes Peak, Formula-E, and Tesla stuff, and run with it too quickly. All in an attempt to connect the dots to a world full of electric cars they want to believe are just around the corner. It will take a worldwide diminished petroleum supply, to drive the cost of development of these things, to where they need to be in order to succeed in the marketplace. And that could be over a century away, or even longer. It won't happen on it's own because there simply isn't enough need at the moment.

Even Tesla wouldn't be where it is today based on it's own sales. It has received billions of dollars from the government to help it along. And I won't even get into the whole Solyndra financial debacle. This type of technology cannot be legislated by a "green" government. It has to be developed in the private business sector. In a market climate that will support it with good, solid profitability. That just doesn't exist at the moment. Will it in the future? Perhaps. Then again, who knows what might come along in the future that leaves batteries and electric cars in the dust.

And when you add in the fact gasoline powered vehicles are getting cleaner and more fuel efficient every year, it will slow down the desire and the need for development of electric vehicles even more. Along with the batteries they require, to be anywhere near as long lasting as they need to be, to directly compete with the gasoline powered cars of today, and the future. But I agree, it is fun to watch all the tinkering and experimentation.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Interesting...no loss of power with altitude, no turbo to blow up...should do well.

Yes, that's the good thing about electric power in this application, but they do have to be careful with the high voltage wiring, making sure that the insulation doesn't break down and allow arcing in the low pressure at high altitude.

And as for turbos blowing up; as long as they are properly matched to the engine, there is no problem. Turbochargers were originally developed to provide sea-level performance at high altitudes for piston aero engines. As a matter of historical fact, one of the first turbochargers tested was at the top of Pikes Peak on a WW1 Liberty engine.

And speaking of Pikes Peak...
When I completed a run to Denver, CO in January 2017, I took a half-day off and traveled up Pikes Peak just because it was there.
I took some pictures:

The road up Pikes Peak is a toll road. Here is the toll booth. I think it costs $10.

Getting into the hairpins is interesting when there is snow on the ground.

Sighting past the fuzzy dice helps me set up for the turns.

The pucker factor on this turn was particularly high, as there was no guard rail, and a lo-o-o-o-ng drop if I blew the entry.

Having completed the run to the clouds, Adventure Dodge takes a rest. It took about 30 minutes to run the 15 miles from the toll booth.

And it really is 14,115 feet high.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
And speaking of Pikes Peak...
When I completed a run to Denver, CO in January 2017, I took a half-day off and traveled up Pikes Peak just because it was there.
I took some pictures:

The road up Pikes Peak is a toll road. Here is the toll booth. I think it costs $10.

Getting into the hairpins is interesting when there is snow on the ground.

Sighting past the fuzzy dice helps me set up for the turns.

The pucker factor on this turn was particularly high, as there was no guard rail, and a lo-o-o-o-ng drop if I blew the entry.

Having completed the run to the clouds, Adventure Dodge takes a rest. It took about 30 minutes to run the 15 miles from the toll booth.

And it really is 14,115 feet high.

Very Cool, I'd like to go there myself one day.

It's a great drive. Here are a few shots from my 2016 trip. Late June, still lots of snow in some spots.

Sidelong hill...
eUoD1LM.jpg

It's really steep...
jUTD0fa.jpg

Drop off....
Ljbf3Vk.jpg

Check the mirror....
JCwCLOK.jpg

Ha, must have grown or been re-measured since then:
TrJQy0J.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photos gents.

:sniff:, I've only got Bathurst...

I recall an article by Tom McCahill where he ran out of brakes on the way down (some 60s sled Convertible, 426, 4 wheel drums IIRC).

Originally Posted By: billt460
Yes they do. I think when it comes to racing and performance, electric cars are fun, and even exciting to some degree. (We've all seen the videos of the stripped down Tesla beating the Hellcat). But from a practical standpoint of powering private vehicles across the country in a timely fashion. And on a daily, practical, cost effective basis, we're decades away..... If it ever even happens at all. Battery technology, along with recharge distance and times are no where near where they need to be at this point.

Yes, this stuff will take ages. In fairness, there are some promises and technologies in F1 right now that we don't see in ordinary road cars yet, but are too technical for the mass media to run with. The current thermal efficiency they have for cars running on essentially pump gas is amazing, but that's beyond the average reader or sound bite.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
(IF I did not care at all about that one aspect, I would have no qualms at all about electric vehicles, and not fight them tooth and nail like so many on here do, whom I'm guessing are heavily involved in/employed by the petrochemical fuel industry.
wink.gif
)

Power Industry here...so have more than half an idea what I'm talking about.

I was speaking to the actual product itself, and it's performance, and NOT to the non-existent power grid support they do and will require for a majority (or TOTAL) usage.
My point was that many who hate on them do NOT do so out of a lack of sound, or any devoted love for the I.C.E., (they could not care LESS about performance or visceral effects), but solely because of the 'green' image they project, which they DESPISE.

YES, that is a MAJOR problem they face, of course.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I was speaking to the actual product itself, and it's performance, and NOT to the non-existent power grid support they do and will require for a majority (or TOTAL) usage.
My point was that many who hate on them do NOT do so out of a lack of sound, or any devoted love for the I.C.E., (they could not care LESS about performance or visceral effects), but solely because of the 'green' image they project, which they DESPISE.

YES, that is a MAJOR problem they face, of course.

They "despise" the "green image" because it is FALSE. Using electric vehicles for race applications, along with other specialized uses is perfectly acceptable. Even fun and enjoyable to see. No one "hates" or "despises" this. Yet that is the determination made by most lovers of electric powered vehicles. They fail to realize that pointing out their shortcomings, along with their inability to compete with current gas powered vehicles in an open market is not "hate". But rather fact. Nor is it a sign that the person pointing this out automatically has some secret connection to the petroleum industry. That is even more idiotic.

And yet that is the position which is usually taken by the electric lovers. They simply do not want to listen to ANYTHING negative about electric cars, regardless of how factual it is. They are so in love, or else outright intoxicated with this technology, they take any negativity associated with it personally. They want to believe these issues either don't exist. Or else they can be overcome in a much shorter period of time than they will be. If they ever are. In short many are being ignorant.

And as far as this whole "green" image so many electric car lovers like to embrace. That is completely FALSE. Where do they think the power comes from to recharge all of these Tesla's, Nissan Leaf's, electric golf carts, and other electric powered vehicles that are sitting in garages, and plugged into electrical outlets all over the country? This electricity doesn't magically appear out of thin air. Most all of it comes from burning fossil fuels in oil, coal, or natural gas power plants across the country. So this nonsense they are somehow "greener" than a new, modern gasoline powered vehicle that gets over 35+ MPG is just not true.

No one "hates" greener transportation...... Assuming the fact it is actually greener. What most people like myself dislike, is how many supporters of electric cars conveniently side step, or else outright ignore all of these issues, in order to promote a false image of their favorite toy that in reality doesn't exist. And as soon as someone points this out, they are immediately labeled as "haters" of electric powered vehicles, who "despise" them.

I don't "hate" electric cars. I hate all the B.S. that is associated with them. All in an attempt to try and falsely project them as some future type of environmentally "green" saviors of planet Earth. That will somehow rescue us from our own self destructive ways, of trying to get from place to place for over the last century. But as far as running one up Pikes Peak in record time? I hope it works out.

^^^Could not agree with you more on most/all of the above, if done in a thoughtful, intelligent way as you have laid out above!
thumbsup2.gif

Merely pointing out those who do such solely to be counter to anything connected to "the other side" of the spectrum (which they MUST/DO HATE!), knee-jerk type reaction required of them due to THEIR worldviews, with no thought process involved at all.
(Like the outright, abject ****** ******* deniers.)

I personally LOVE the visceral feel of internal combustion engines, and hope that they are around for the rest of my life, but I doubt they will be for much past that time.
wink.gif

You have to remember how much cleaner and more economical gas powered cars are today. Over what they were just 30 years ago. 10 MPG was the norm back then for most big V-8's. Large SUV's like Chevy Suburban's were getting less than that. And they polluted an ungodly amount. Inefficient carburetors were the norm.

Today 30 MPG is nothing. And they are cleaner than ever. Transmissions have up to 10 speeds. Several of them overdrives. This will continue. V-8's are being phased out, with several 4-cylinder models producing as much or more H.P. with half the displacement and cylinders. Even without turbochargers. So whatever fuel that is left is going to last that much longer. And they're finding new reserves all the time. Along with profitable methods of extracting it. So don't write off internal combustion just yet. It will be here for a long time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back