Vw power steering... Stop leak?

I have a mk4 jetta tdi which I got a few months ago... The car had a power steering leak from the rack, it was so bad I had to keep topping off every 2nd or 3rd day because the reservoir was below min. Since it was such a cheap car, I got a used rack, had it installed, and no more leaks, until now it seems.

The car has many oil leaks (typical German cars) such as the valve cover gasket... But because vw in their infinite wisdom decided to make the valve cover gasket permanent, I need to buy a new valve cover, which I don't want to because again, cheap car...

So yes, I know regarding the rack, I probably should've gotten a new one as now it's coming back to bite me in the ass... However, since the new rack went in, I've had to fill up the reservoir twice, 2nd time being today. I did check the rack, and from what I can see, the leak appears to be from the left inner tie rod boot (exactly the same as the old one, go figure), the only difference is this one isn't a waterfall like the previous one...

I sure don't want to spend money on another rack, because again, beater car and I already spent money once

So that said, any stop leak that will work with fancy vw power steering fluid? Gotta love German cars and their fancy liquids... Can only use specific pentosin chf11s or it's equivalent, so given it's so picky, I'm afraid of what power steering stop leak may do... Wanted to get others opinions/expiriences

You could try atp 202 re seal, I'd only use one ounce in a system that small. Or go with Lucas ps fix. I've only seen the Lucas work once in an old Jeep of my dad's. Best of luck with your various leaks.

Attempts to stop a rack and pinion leak with a stop leak product likely won't help you.

Thanks for the info guys

Lubener, yea I realize, hence why I don't even want to add stop leak if it can potentially do more harm then good

I have a mk4 jetta tdi which I got a few months ago... The car had a power steering leak from the rack, it was so bad I had to keep topping off every 2nd or 3rd day because the reservoir was below min. Since it was such a cheap car, I got a used rack, had it installed, and no more leaks, until now it seems.

The car has many oil leaks (typical German cars) such as the valve cover gasket... But because vw in their infinite wisdom decided to make the valve cover gasket permanent, I need to buy a new valve cover, which I don't want to because again, cheap car...

So yes, I know regarding the rack, I probably should've gotten a new one as now it's coming back to bite me in the ass... However, since the new rack went in, I've had to fill up the reservoir twice, 2nd time being today. I did check the rack, and from what I can see, the leak appears to be from the left inner tie rod boot (exactly the same as the old one, go figure), the only difference is this one isn't a waterfall like the previous one...

I sure don't want to spend money on another rack, because again, beater car and I already spent money once

So that said, any stop leak that will work with fancy vw power steering fluid? Gotta love German cars and their fancy liquids... Can only use specific pentosin chf11s or it's equivalent, so given it's so picky, I'm afraid of what power steering stop leak may do... Wanted to get others opinions/expiriences

There is nothing you can do for that other than repair or replace the rack, the rack tube inside is rusted. The problem with using sealers in the PS system is the sealer attacks all seals and rubber components it comes in contact with possibly taking the pump seals out eventually.
The seals you would need to swell are solid teflon rings and are resistant to these sorts of products and even if they blew up like an elephants trunk would still not seal against rust pitting so don't bother.

VW dealers sometimes have a deal on a big $$$$ rack for about $250 that are used in MK IV city cars in Canada. I bought some a few years ago from the local dealer so ask around. If not then get a rebuild from a reputable company not a parts store.
This is a case where spending a little more and doing it right the first time would have really paid.

There is nothing you can do for that other than repair or replace the rack, the rack tube inside is rusted. The problem with using sealers in the PS system is the sealer attacks all seals and rubber components it comes in contact with possibly taking the pump seals out eventually.
The seals you would need to swell are solid teflon rings and are resistant to these sorts of products and even if they blew up like an elephants trunk would still not seal against rust pitting so don't bother.

VW dealers sometimes have a deal on a big $$$$ rack for about $250 that are used in MK IV city cars in Canada. I bought some a few years ago from the local dealer so ask around. If not then get a rebuild from a reputable company not a parts store.
This is a case where spending a little more and doing it right the first time would have really paid.

Yup, lesson learned... The used rack was 80 bucks and it came with a pump too, so good deal there but where I lost is I paid in labour because I didn't feel like dropping the subframe on my back... This was one of those jobs were it's so much easier if you have a hoist, which I don't...

Good know dealers have this deal, but for now, I'll keep my eye on it and see how much it's losing... Again doesn't appear to be much, if I'm only topping off once a month, then I'm ok with that

Back