VW oil specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
moribundman ,

It appears you are suffering from the same condition that caused me to start this topic:

"VW obsessive specification disorder"

I feel your pain.

Y

Ha-ha! Yeah, I've been trying for quite some time to find some conclusive answers. Say, can you tell me what engine (year and three-letter engine code) you have? Mine's the 2.8 SOHC 12v V6 AFC ('96 model year) Audi engine.

I have a 1999, 1.8 DOHC 20v 4 cyl. AEB (I think AEB is the engine code, I'm kinda confused as to where to find it.), VW/Audi engine.

Some adicts smoke, others drink, gamble and then there's sex, Me... I'm a slave to motor oil...... I do filters too.
smile.gif

Yeah, the AEB is the first generation 1.8T engine. According to my German repair manual you need also VW 500 00 if you use full synthtic.

So I had a friend in Germany ask the master tech at the local VW/Audi dealer about the oil issue. He said 502 00 has replaced 500 00 (I don't know if that's even true). He also said we should be using 5W-30 or 5W-40 oils that fulfill VW 502 00. Then again, I don't know if that guy knows what he's talking about. He flat-out claimed M1 15W-50 was not a full synthetic. One again, it sounds just like another opinion.
tongue.gif

offtopic.gif
I agree with Dr. T et al - it seems the latest verion or two of Adobe Acrobat are very version picky. The latest will work to open everything, but go back one or versions and the "no open"/errors happen. I have found the auto-update clumsy but does work (I make sure it prompts me before searching for the latest)

As you may know my Passat has had a steady diet of Castrol Syntec 5w50, which does not meet any of the VW specs mentioned (at least according to the bottle label). I'm now running Mobil 1 15w50, just to see if I can distinguish a difference between it and the 5w50.....I can't. The Mobil web site says, "Mobil 1 15W50 has the following builder approvals: VW 505.00". The next batch of oil to go into the crankcase will most likely be Castrol Syntec (German) 0w30, with: VW 502.00, 505. 00 and 503.01. No mention of 500.00.

Apart from a little sludge (I don't know how much, I haven't had the valve cover off yet) the engine works very well. After 80,000 miles it has great fuel economy, power and it doesn't burn any oil. I mean not a drop, I measure the oil going in and out. I guess the lack of oil consumption may be due to the xw50, but still I think its a good sign?!

So, does using VW 500.00 spec oil make a difference? Duh, I dunno.... Let's just hope we find an answer before I sell the car, for peace of mind if nothing else!

1) VW 502 HAS replaced VW 500.00
2) These oils both require HT/HS > 3.5 Cp
3) The M1, 0w-40 also meets VW 505 and ACEA B4 - these passenger car diesel specs have even more stringent requirements for piston cleanliness than the gas engine specs, so you are totally better off using the newer stuff.

I've been an Amsoil dealer since 1980 and I keep up with this stuff
wink.gif

TooSlick

TooSlick,
Had I known that 502.00 had replaced 500.00, then it would have saved me some pounding headaches, and all those threads regarding the VW specs would have been A LOT shorter.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back