VW oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual recommends using 5W-40 or 5W-30 synthetic or regular. So I got a few questions about that. 5W-40 only comes in synthetic, why aren't there regular 5W-40? and only the 5W-40/0W-40 has that VW 502/505 i think thats the number plus the ACEA number also. Since I'm using Mobil 1 5W-30 right now, they don't say the VW 502/505 on it. So does that ACEA number on the bottle mean the same thing basically? I'm planning to switch back to 5W-30 regular oil since my 02 VW Jetta 2.0 burns oil and its waste of money to put synthetic in it and let it burn. Just wanted to make sure if the regular oil meets the same warranty requirements for VW. By the way the dealer uses Castrol Syntec or Syntec Blend, I see their advertising thing at the shop. But I change the oil myself.

[ March 09, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: lpcmidst128 ]

On my 2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6), Castrol "German" Syntec 0W30 slowed oil consumption to virtually nil, you might give it a shot.

I will be doing an oil analysis on it in the next few months (7500 miles on the oil). Will post the results when I hit 40,000 miles.

Next oil is Mobil 1 SUV & Truck oil (i.e. Delvac 1) 5W40.

I would increase the viscosity until the oil consumption is reduced to no more than a quart in about 4K miles. Try one of the 10W-30 high mileage oils first. If that doesn't slow it down and then move to 15W-40. Your S.F. climate doesn't require a 5W-x anything. No need for 5W unless you have temps below 0F.

VW does NOT recommend any *W-30 oil.
They say you may use it if you can not find 5w-40.

Personally I firmly believe that a 40 is best for this motor.
I have owned water cooled VW's for 28 years and they like their oil on the heavy side.

Your oil burning is caused by the low tension piston rings in that year/model. A normal VW block will do 250,000 miles and still not burn a drop between oil changes

I agree with Nosmo King. Use a thicker oil. I would start with a 5W-40 motor oil such as Valvoline SynPower, Havoline Synthetic or Chevron Synthetic. I have seen the above 5W-40 oils sold at AutoZone and Checker Auto Parts. If after using a 5W-40 motor oil you are still having a problem with high oil consumption than you may consider using a 10W-40 or 5W-50 synthetic oil such as Castrol Syntec.

I would suggest using an ACEA rated A3/B3 or A3/B3/B4 motor oil. I would not use any 0W-30, 5W-30 or 0W-40 motor oil even if it was rated ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B3/B4 since you are already having a problem with high oil consumption. I am not very familiar with the VW oil specifications but I believe they are similar to the ACEA specifications that I have given you. If you are determined to use a conventional oil than I would suggest an API rated CI-4/SL 15W-40 motor oil.

Again, no need for a 5W-X anything. It's San Francisco guys. Lows around 40 and highs around 75. 10W or 15W is just fine. Also, the High Mileage 10W-30's are darn near a 40 weight with some esters to help clean the rings and swell the seals.

The 5w-40 recommendation in my manual is just that, a *recommendation*.

The *requirements* are either:
ACEA A3
or
VW 50X

As for oil consumption, my wife's Volvo 850 turbo is an oil consumer. I have run M1 10w-30, 0w-40,
GC 0w-30 and Synpower 5w-40 and Synpower 10w-30. It consumed the least amount of oil with the Synpower 5w-40 and most with GC and M1 0w-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back