VW Jetta 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all....this is my first post in the Euro forum. I'm picking up my new to me '07 VW Jetta 2.0T tomorrow (Tuesday) and we're pretty excited and this will be our first VW.
It is pretty loaded with the leather/luxury pkg and 6 speed manual transmission.

Any words of wisdom on this engine or VW ownership in general you can pass along is cool!

As well, I've done some reading and I understand VW does not recommend a grade of oil but rather go by their VW 502 00 spec recommendation, which some different oils/grads are approved. For me it looks like it will be between the Mobil 1 and Castrol as far as availability is concerned - to bad, I'm a Pennzoil fan, but it looks like their Euro formula is tuff to find, I've never seen it. I live in Eastern Ontario Canada so that means cold winters & hot summers, extreme on both ends. Does either one fit the bill?

Last edited:
Congrats on the new VW! I am lovin my Jetta, so I hope you enjoy yours!!

As for oils, you nailed it on the head.

Here you can find all the oils that meet VW 502:
http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

Like you, it is easy for me to find M1 0w40 and Castrol 5w40/0w30 locally.

After doing my own digging and asking, I chose to go with M1.

Up north, I would for sure go with a 0w oil. So GC or M1 would be my choice and recommendation for you.

As for Pennz Ultra 5w40, I think you can order it online by the case.

Thx for the oil suggestion
smile.gif

I'm not to worried about the 91 Octane as the EPA ratings are pretty good and regardless it will still be cheaper than the Nitro.

Last edited:
It's 120,000 miles for the warranty extension for the camshaft & follower, through VWoA. VW of Canada should have an equivalent extension.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Change the cam follower before it destroys your camshaft.

However, they did issue a warranty extension until 100k?? so you could just wait until it explodes.

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102858

The Jetta is at the dealership getting a new cam follower and camshaft along with fuel pump & tensioner. Should be back in my laneway tomorrow
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

However, they did issue a warranty extension until 100k?? so you could just wait until it explodes.

The Jetta is at the dealership getting a new cam follower and camshaft along with fuel pump & tensioner. Should be back in my laneway tomorrow
smile.gif

Laneway? That's Canadian for "driveway," eh?

You Canucks always confuse me, calling the bathroom the "washroom," etc.

Originally Posted By: dbrowne1
Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog

smile.gif

Laneway? That's Canadian for "driveway," eh?

You Canucks always confuse me, calling the bathroom the "washroom," etc.

...either or is acceptable LOL

We also might through in a "u" in words like colour.....but at least we drive on the correct side of the road
grin.gif

Can I ask what dealer you bought at, I tried Owasco in Whitby, worst experience I ever had, poor response from VW Customer Assistance when I wrote them and VW in Germany about the attempt to purchase one of their products. It sours you on the product, even though I still like the GTI!

Originally Posted By: vintagegz
Can I ask what dealer you bought at, I tried Owasco in Whitby, worst experience I ever had, poor response from VW Customer Assistance when I wrote them and VW in Germany about the attempt to purchase one of their products. It sours you on the product, even though I still like the GTI!

Myers VW in Ottawa.
http://www.myersvw.com/

Last edited:
OK...I took the GC bait...picked up 5 qts of GC 0W-30 at Canadian Tire on sale for $7.47/litre bottle to try out in my 2.0T next OCI.
It says "Made in Germany", so I think I got the good stuff.
Sale was to good to pass up- about $2.50 in saving per bottle. I'll see how the 2.0T likes the GC. If it does I'll stick with it, if not M1 0W-40 will be my next try.

I did some phoning around for Pennzoil Euro 5W-40..found one place and they wanted $17.00 per 1 Liter bottle...I almost fell off my chair!!!! Now, I like Pennzoil, but no freaking way I'm paying that per litre.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Premium fuel in Canada! Wow! Too expensive?

Premium fuel cost 10% than regular. Premium gas here is ethanol free, so it has 3.5% more energy that e10 regular.

So 6.5% more expensive that regular; I think he can afford that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back