VW Jetta 12V VR6 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, So first, I am new to this forum, and I am not very knowledgable about oils. Enough said.

I have been searching for an oil for my Jetta, it is a 12V VR6. The factory Oil is Castrol Syntec 5w40.

Question is, should I use Castrol Syntec 5w40, maybe not really synthetic, Amsoil European Car Formula 5w40, or Mobil 1 0w40. Curious about the 0w40. My VR6 has about 90k on it, and runs great.

Please let me know what any of you think.

Thank you.

Coop0129

All of the above oils are great for that engine.
You should also consider M1 T&S 5W-40 (aka. Delvac 1).
This would be like my saturday dinner, red or white wine, or maybe a couple of beers
cheers.gif

M1 T&S 5w-40? Not quite sure what that is. I have also been reading about German Castrol 0w-30. Any thoughts on that oil?

I think that these oils all say 501.00, 503.00, and 505.00, but not 502.00. Is this an issue?

Thank you.

Coop0129

Coop, I think that any oil that meets VW 503 01 would also meet 502 00. 503 is VW's long life spec, while 502 is the standard. Check the bottles. I'm pretty sure Castrol Syntec 5w40 and Mobil1 0w40 meet 502 00. Mobil 1 meets 503 01 as well, as does GC. I'm not sure about Amsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129:
M1 T&S 5w-40? Not quite sure what that is.

It is Mobil 1 5W-40 "Truck & SUV" formula. Recently it has been renamed to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40. A very robust oil, definitely a solid choice for your VR6.

Well, I just found 14 quarts of GC Green. So, I bought them all. I am going to put it in my VR6 Jetta and see what happens. I also found GC Gold, but didn't buy it. Seems to be the consensus that the Green is better than the Gold.

Green has just had more time to be proven. Although there is some difference in composition, the exact effects over time in lots of UOA's is yet to be determined. Some people think the GOLD may be better!

Syntec 5W50 for maximum timing chain component protection in a 12v VR6 if the guides aren't already shot.

Well, the I am not really worried about the guides. I am going to end up doing a new upper and lower timing chain eventually, probably in the next 20k or so. I do know the guides wear out and break, but as long as the chains are not loose or skipping links, I really don't care. I really don't want to put a 5w50 in my motor, it is way to thick. I have ran 5w40 Amsoil Euro Car Formula for who knows how long, probably about 60k. But it is thick and is loud on startup. So, hence the want to change to GC 0w30. I found a lot of Green GC as listed about. I actually just changed to oil earlier today with Amsoil, but that will be the last of that. It was a free oil change for me. Next OC will be GC Green M0428....Thanks

quote:

Well, I just found 14 quarts of GC Green. So, I bought them all. I am going to put it in my VR6 Jetta and see what happens.

I recommend you park it outside for a while after you change it because with your Jetta going
fruit.gif
you don't want it bouncing around in your garage...really

Bad News, I was on my way home from watching the Big Ten Championship game at a friends house. Well, long story short. I hit a deer, something punctured my motor, and now I have no oil left in my motor. Well basically no front end of my Jetta. I am not too happy about it. But, good news is I am not hurt and nobody was with me in the car. But, now it will be a little while until I can post the results from the GC or the Auto-Rx results, because it is all over the ground. Well, hope everyone else had a better day than I did today.

I'm really impressed with the GC 0w-30 so far, I also have a 12V VR6. It's been in the engine for almost 3k, and the oil still looks relatively new..

I've used Mobil1 (both 0w-40 and the 5w-40 T&SUV) for most of the life of the vehicle without a problem. No noticable oil consumption at 85k miles.

I switched to 0w-30 Castrol solely for winter use, as it's a thinner than Mobil1's offerings in the colder temperatures. Still I will use Mobil1 5w-40 when I begin to see it back on shelves for the summer months, that and the 0w-40 are great oils that have performed beautifully in this engine.

i just changed the oil in my 1998 VR6..used Schaeffers 9000 5w40...it is much quieter than the M1 0w40...i know it's no indication of protection, but it sure does sound better!!

Sorry about the Jetta and glad you are OK. Was it a MkIII or a MkIV? A punctured motor sounds expensive. Is the car repairable, or will you be getting a new car for all your GC? My sister was in an accident once a few years ago, and the car looked repairable until the body shop noticed that the engine was irreparably damaged. $5,000 to replace the engine was enough to total the car.

Well, they are fixing the Jetta as we speak. The radiator is gone, and something about an oil cooler. I am not too sure. But the damages were about $5k and so, they are fixing it. So, I will still have my Jetta to put GC in. I just hope that it is the same as before the accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back