VW GTI Top Mount Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I recently purchased a 2019 Volkswagen GTI. I am looking forward to its first oil change. I have noticed the top mounted oil filter. My question is, does the oil leak out when you remove the OF housing making a mess? I am used to my previous 2008 VW Rabbit where the cartridge accepted a special tool to drain the oil out of the cartridge. Apparently there is no such provision on this car.

Also, if you would like to chime in on when to do the first OC, or any other break in advice or maintenance, please do. I have enjoyed reading this forum and speculating on what all of those acronyms mean, so thank you for your input!

Usually I crack them loose and let them sit in the housing while I drain it out, so the housing drains during the oil change, and then change filter at the end. Minimal spill.

I don't have experience with that car, but I do have experience with a top-mount filter. Yes, some oil does spill out, but since you're removing it from up top, none of it splashes on you
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
No mess, using Fram Ultra filters on either of my Suby top-mounts

Does Fram make an Ultra for those Subarus now? I know Wix makes an XP, but I didn't know about the Subaru-spec Ultra

ECS tuning has a nice video showing the oil change on the Mk7 GTI. Short answer is you shouldn't spill any oil when changing the filter. As mentioned above, crack the filter housing open prior to opening the drain in the pan. I bought a 2019 GTI myself and plan on the first change at 5k miles.

ECS video on GTI oil change

From videos I have seen, they open the housing slowly to allow the oil to drain down into the transmission. It would seem that you have a DSG. If I had one of those I would not use a Fram filter on that of all things!! Just stick with a good Mann filter. Change the fluid every 40,000 miles or sooner if you think you see a need to. I hear that these make a lot of heat and that could be one reason why they require a special fluid that is unique in some ways.

As mentioned, no oil spills out--just crack it open, drain the oil and then remove.

For the filter, I'd use the OEM filter, but part number 06L115562B. It appeared to be a synthetic media now on the newer part number: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-engine-oil-filter-beetle-jetta-passat-vag-06k115562

You need a new drain plug as well.

I changed my initial fill early, around 2,500--but I'm not going to pretend it's going to make a huge difference in the longevity of the engine. Based on UOA's I've seen of the factory fill, there is some break in material in there, even if it's pretty minor.

No, nothing spills out as others have said. Most of the time the whole oil change is mess free once you get the hang of the plastic drain plug. You WILL make a mess of that on the first change, but the oil filter housing is mess free.

This part keeps the oil in the housing until you loosen it and it drains back into the pan:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I always keep one of those on hand as some people have broken them before.

On my 2017 GTI I changed the factory oil out at 1400 miles. There was a couple pieces of metal throughout the filter, but every filter since then has been really clean. I get the filter and drain plug from the dealer which usually runs about $12-$15 depending on who's behind the parts counter. I usually do 5-6K intervals or once a year depending on use.

[
Originally Posted by Chuckh
From videos I have seen, they open the housing slowly to allow the oil to drain down into the transmission. It would seem that you have a DSG. If I had one of those I would not use a Fram filter on that of all things!! Just stick with a good Mann filter. Change the fluid every 40,000 miles or sooner if you think you see a need to. I hear that these make a lot of heat and that could be one reason why they require a special fluid that is unique in some ways.

The OP is not asking about this, he asked about the engine oil filter, wrong side of car sir! to OP I have the same type of vehicle and have done several as others have said no big mess coming crack that giant nut on plastic top cover then remove the oil under car while its draining is when I like to take the old filter out and pop in the new version, the recommend changing those plastic drain plugs completely each change but I have reused mine several times just bought a new one last it was probably on there for 4 changes and that plus a OEM filter online is $20@ amazon etc

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
I don't have experience with that car, but I do have experience with a top-mount filter. Yes, some oil does spill out, but since you're removing it from up top, none of it splashes on you
happy2.gif

Originally Posted by gathermewool
No mess, using Fram Ultra filters on either of my Suby top-mounts

Does Fram make an Ultra for those Subarus now? I know Wix makes an XP, but I didn't know about the Subaru-spec Ultra

Are you dP-baiting me?
13.gif

XG7317 fits both of my Subies.

Originally Posted by tom in boise
ECS tuning has a nice video showing the oil change on the Mk7 GTI. Short answer is you shouldn't spill any oil when changing the filter. As mentioned above, crack the filter housing open prior to opening the drain in the pan. I bought a 2019 GTI myself and plan on the first change at 5k miles.

ECS video on GTI oil change
Thanks for that. Al of these replies have been really helpful. It seems ECS thinks the 2019 GTI uses 5w-40 oil instead of 0w-20 so their site is a little confusing. I suppose when the time comes to change the oil I can order oil, filter and drain plug separately, instead of a kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back