VW Amarok 2.0 TDI - Oil getting hot towing & Interval

Kühlmittel Audi Customer Racing R8 LMS GT3 - 65 zu 35 % bis -20°C.jpg

Most engines don't measure oil temp at all, they use a dummy calculated value. The ones that do measure oil temps have a sensor somewhere on the oil filter assembly, usually.

No, in a lot of scenarios the oil is colder than the coolant and the coolant is maintaining the oil temperature.

For example the engine my my Vauxhall Insignia, when cruising follows the coolant temperature almost to within 0.5°c.

Only when I really start to load the engine up (90mph up long hills, towing a caravan or generally hooning about) does the oil temp start to surpass the coolant temp.

Do most engines measure the oil temperature at the sump? I must say I've never seen a sensor on the sump.
That is fluid/fluid heat exchanger.
Performance vehicles (serious ones) will have oil cooler radiator type. BMW’s inline sux now come with both heat exchanger and radiator type oil cooler.

In that case temperature difference can be substantial, especially if electric water pump or electronically controlled thermostat.

There's several ways to increase cooling capacity of engines. Performance engines often also have finned sumps, and larger oil capacity which increases the dwell time in the sump.

There's several ways to increase cooling capacity of engines. Performance engines often also have finned sumps, and larger oil capacity which increases the dwell time in the sump.
Finns are just one of the tricks in the sleeve. But when you are hovering at such high temperatures like this VW radiator type is the only way to go.

Reactions: 4WD
I tow a 1500kg caravan with a tiny 1.5 litre 3 cylinder 122hp diesel engine in a Vauxhall Inisgnia.

On motorways I tow at 60mph. 6th gear when towing is an absolute no-go. So I have two real choices, 5th gear ~2000pm or 4th gear ~2500rpm. 5th sometimes struggles with inclines which means I have to drop into 4th anyway. So now I just leave it in 4th gear with cruise control set to 60mph and let it chug along.

What's interesting is my oil temperatures and EGT's are significantly less in 4th gear at 2500rpm than 5th at 2000rpm.

I see oil temperatures of 130-140°c on long inclines. It very quickly cools and drops to ~100°c once the road flattens out.

What you are describing is nearly universal when towing.
I don't know whats connected to the engine and whats electric in that rig, but typically higher RPM lets the fan, oil and water pumps spin faster which helps keep everything cooler.

Reactions: 4WD
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. To answer a couple of questions I am in South Eastern Australia. An oil cooler would be solution but I am selling the vehicle next year so not super keen to spend on it now. Ambient temperature when seeing the oil temps in the original post is mild, not a hot day at all.

When making the original post I was hoping that by using one grade up on the hot rating I'd be giving it a little extra film strength whilst not making the engine work excessively harder as the oil was so hot (and therefore thin).

Another question, how hot is too hot?

And given the oil temps I am seeing when towing would you suggest a shorter drain interval?

Cheers

When making the original post I was hoping that by using one grade up on the hot rating I'd be giving it a little extra film strength whilst not making the engine work excessively harder as the oil was so hot (and therefore thin).
You increase the film thickness or MOFT which prevents wear. Except a tiny fuel economy difference there is no disadvantage to an oil with a somewhat higher HT/HS.

Ok, thanks. Looking at HTHS. Factory fill is

CASTROL EDGE 5W-30 LL - HTHS 3.5​

The Mobil 1 receommnded oil for this vehicle, including compatible with DPF is

MOBIL 1 5W-30 ESP - HTHS 3.5​

Whilst looking at Mobil 1, this looks quite good, is compatible with DPF and meets VW specs, but seems hard to buy locally.

Mobil 1™ Turbo Diesel 0W-40 - HTHS 3.8​

This looks quite good, lists "prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems in both diesel" but interestingly doesn't list the VW approvals.

Mobil 1™ ESP 0W-40 - HTHS 3.76​

This also looks good, lists VW approvals, says full synthetic, and is much cheaper, but is NOT suitable for vehicles with DPF so not an option.

Mobil Super™ 3000 Formula 5W-40 - HTHS 3.7​

There appears to be a Castrol Edge 0w-40 Diesel available locally, but I can't find HTHS numbers for it. I'll have a look for other oils later, but any suggestions welcome.

Also, still curious on how hot it too hot, and recommended drain interval when running under semi regular high load / high temp conditions?

Last edited:
I found mobil1 esp x3 0w-40, is that the one you said isn't suitable for dpf? ESP stands for Exhaust System Protection, and the x3 at least is a C3 oil so where do you get it's not suitable for DPF? Didn't find that wording anywhere

Hi,
Yeah not idea what i did there, you are correct that mobil 1 esp x3 0w-40 IS suitable for DPF. I appreciate the correction, thanks.
Interestingly the mobil 1 esp x3 0w-40 shows VW approval VW 511 00, not the much more common 502 / 505. I'll have to dig into what they mean...

VW appear list VW 507 00 for this vehicle, however I can't seem to find a 0W-40 which meet this spec!

VW appear list VW 507 00 for this vehicle, however I can't seem to find a 0W-40 which meet this spec!
VW504.00/507.00 are ONLY 0/5W30! VW511.00 is basically thicker version of VW504.00/507.00. So use VW511.00 with confidence in your engine. Problem with higher HTHS is more heat. It will create more resistance. But, considering your location dilute coolant concentration to 20% coolant, 80% distilled water. Or do it to -10c. That will allow better heat dissipation.

Still no answer. :rolleyes:

Apologies.

See Post 29, I am in South Eastern Australia.

Ambient temps for the oil temp mentioned in the original post was around 15c.

Coolant temp at the oil temps mentioned are 90c or just above. Coolant sits on 90c once warm. on a very long uphill it will move up to about 95c max, but then go back to 90c very shortly after.

Thanks

It doesn’t matter. Even though the approval lists acceptable grades the technical requirement is for a minimum HT/HS. That makes the grade irrelevant. Just buy an oil with the proper approval. The bigger reason you won’t find a 0W-40 with VW 507 00 approval is different.

Back