VW 508 Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
What current engine oils are available in the US that meet the new 0W-20 VW standard? I went through my Autozone and Advance stores today to see what is available and nothing states compatibility with the standard. I'm changing my oil of my 2018 Passat (2.0 turbo) at 1K since VW has an actual break in process stated in the owner's manual. I know, it is pretty short change interval for an expensive oil.

Thanks

Liqui Moly Top Tec 6200, Castrol EDGE® Professional® LL IV FE 0W-20(dealer), Motul SPECIFIC 508 00 509 00 0W-20. Fuchs 508.
Are you sure 1k mile break in for an oil change? or take it easy for the first 1k. Multiple family members have VW's including 2018's and not one manual says change oil at 1k.

Changing break-in oil at 1K miles is not necessary when the engine has a full-flow oil filter. In fact, some car manufacturers (eg, Honda) specifically recommend not changing the factory-fill oil until the first regularly scheduled interval.Apparently special additives are added to the factory fill to help with break-in. Save your time and money.

Many owners do like to change the factory fill out. I do it at the 1000 mile mark as well.

There are dozens of threads on this subject. In the end, do what helps you sleep better. It's a personal decision.

Out of the oils Tech819 mentioned, the Liqui Moly is probably the easiest oil to get, as most Napas sell Liqui-Moly products, and the ones that don't can easily get it for you. In fact, it's the only VW 0w20 available anywhere at any price.

0w20 in a VW?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
0w20 in a VW?
crazy2.gif

This VW 50800 Long Life oils are for OCI upto to 20,000 miles or 24 months , as per OEM !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back