VQ35DE Oil Change Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on data compiled and posted at my350z (thanks to this person, who I believe is a bitog member) it appears the are several good, readily available VQ35DE oil options:

PP 5W30
M1 0W40
GC
Castrol GTX 5W30
Castrol Syntec 5W30
QS Q-HP 5W30

Oil_Comparison.jpg
My350z VQ35DE UOAs

My dilemma is what oil & filter to select based upon this data and the latest AAP sale (below). PP and QS are a bit cheaper than M1, but come with a lesser filter (?). What is the group's thoughts?

A few notes on my application & I:
-2002 Nissan Maxima 6MT
-~4k mile OCI (~6 months)
-use synthetics (previous OCs: GC & M1 5/10W30)
-some short trips, little highway use & and some aggressive driving
-consumes ~1 qt per OCI (haven't tracked this as well as I should have)

34xf4hc.jpg
Advance Auto Parts Oil Change Specials

PP with a PureOne is a winner. No need to spend more than that. In fact, you could spend less with GTX and a regular Purolator Premium.

Pick any one of those and up your OCI to 6,000. While it certainly won't hurt, there's no reason to change synthetic at 4,000 miles. Like webfors, I'd suggest the Pennzoil Platinum with the Purolator PureOne filter.

Originally Posted By: webfors
PP with a PureOne is a winner. No need to spend more than that. In fact, you could spend less with GTX and a regular Purolator Premium.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Pick any one of those and up your OCI to 6,000. While it certainly won't hurt, there's no reason to change synthetic at 4,000 miles. Like webfors, I'd suggest the Pennzoil Platinum with the Purolator PureOne filter.

Thanks.

In my naivety, I believe synthetics offer some advantages at a marginal absolute cost increase per oil change (~$5-10). I am likely incorrect, but it's little piece of mind.

Last edited:
i would love to figure out what oil to run i have a 2004 G35. I've so far used Castrol edge 5w30.. Mobil 1 5w30 and Redline 5w30... only difference i can tell is with castrol edge i got 2 more mpg over the life of the oil. I have no UOA so cant say anything about the wear rates. Where can u find more info on G35/Z350 oil issues?

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
i would love to figure out what oil to run i have a 2004 G35. I've so far used Castrol edge 5w30.. Mobil 1 5w30 and Redline 5w30... only difference i can tell is with castrol edge i got 2 more mpg over the life of the oil. I have no UOA so cant say anything about the wear rates. Where can u find more info on G35/Z350 oil issues?

DD,

I don't know the best place to find information regarding VQ35 oil issues, but believe this site and my350z are likely the best. These sites seem to have the broadest enthusiast audience (lubricants & VQ35's, respectively) and therefore the richest information.

Regarding my original inquiry, while there are many great VQ UOAs with PP there are many comments, for which I cannot find substantive data, stating the VQ likes 'heavier' oils (GC & M1 0W40. So my new question, is anything gained by using thicker oils in the VQ, M1 0W40 over PP 5W30 for this case?

As always, thanks.

Some added information about my application:
-105k miles on the engine
-PO had dealership oil changes with OE filters and likely bulk conventional oil
-I don't recall make-up oil contributions with GC, but did with the 5W30 M1 (I didn't track this well, or at all)
-I prefer to spend a little extra (initial cost or shortened OCI) for conservative usage and continued adequate lubrication
-I don't feel UOA data collection is worthwhile for this application due to slow mileage accumulation (few data points) and cost (doubles the oil change cost)--will likely draw flak for this

Edit: previous GC usage was for GC Green

Last edited:
Being a long term Nissan owner my choice is for the Mobil One Oil filter M1-105. My personal chioce in oil in Winter - Valvoline Syntec 5W30, Summer - Mobil 0W40, Quaker 5W30, & Rotella T6 5W40. Of course the oil I will never run is the Mobil 5W30. For some reasons the Nissan engines show high Fe wear with the Mobil 5W30.

Isn't the severe service interval for that engine 3750 miles?

Either way 4k miles with a quality synthetic would be fine, especially for a known sludger.

@901Memphis ~ You are correct with the "severe service interval being 3750 miles". I bought a used 2006 Maxima and looking in the oil fill hole it was sludgey. The original owner fed it a diet of dino from quik lube changes. I am using the Valvoline Syntec and my oil comes out with a red tint from the sludge break down. The VQ35DE's do very well with Mobil 0W40, QS 5W30 & 5W40, Rotella T6 5W40. I like the thinner Valvoline for the Winter months. The Group 2 oils tend to sludge up the engine.

I love, Amsoil or Motul in my SE-R. I am probably going to try Penn Ultra next just for kicks. Its much cheaper.

Also stick with a Mobil 1 Synthetic oil filter, its a stubby but dont judge a book by its cover. Higher flow and better quality than Fram. I have never even seen any PureOne filters in Toronto so i am not knocking them.

Of your choices the 0w40. The VQ really needs a 40wt oil. I run amsoil 5w40 European car in my moms.

Jump over to the 350z forums. Lots of discussions about 30 vs 40wt.

Last edited:
Oil analysis was not designed to compare oil performance, especially outside of controlled parameters.

Nissan requires 3 month/3750 mile drains for most driving conditions on the VQ35DE, and even recommends the Ester Oil for some of the newest VQ35DE vehicles (e.g. 2010 Altima).

On mine, I use Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 and change it every 3,000-3,750 miles.

I'd spring for the AutoZone Castrol/K&N deal. 5qt of Syntec 0w30 + K&N filter for $29.99. The VQ motors seem to do well with heavier 30s. My mom's VQ35HR has been doing just fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back