VP Cooldown

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
The track folks love this stuff so figured I'd give it a shot for an HPDE in a few weeks...won't be hot but the VW MQB turbo 4-bangers run hot and have high oil temps in general and this stuff may help. I just removed the same volume of G13 coolant from the expanstion tank, added the VP product, and let it run with the heater on for 20 minutes after it was already warmed up.

20221128_104746.jpg

Similiar to RL Water Wetter?
That's how I understand it but folks in the VW world in a few track-focused FB groups I frequent seem to think this product works better.

Also, I understand the ideal situation is running pure distilled water with these additives but I just have the VW 50:50 G13 in there (pink), removed however much, and added the VP product so now a bit less than 50:50 coolant to water which also should help cooling.

Aren't these things mainly intended for use with plain water only? For track day events where coolant is prohibited :unsure:
See my comment above yours - yes/no. They can be run with some coolant like I/others do as well but yes, distilled water and a product like this is a track-type coolant setup for a track-only vehicle. At HPDE track events there is not a coolant prohibition.

Last edited:
This is going to be my 3rd year using the Amsoil version.

The car warms up faster. My goal was a little different - got heat to come out of the vents a little faster.

View attachment 128325
I like the name..."DOMINATOR!"...same type of thing, surfactant to help heat transfer to the cooltant faster is how I understand it. Do you flush your cooling system each year and re-add?

System was not flushed. Just removed some coolant before treating to prevent overfilling.

This car has a capacity of 5.2L and 150.8mL of DOMINATOR is required

Similiar to RL Water Wetter?
I can't speak on that product but I went the route of lube guard because it doesn't have polysaloxone. I've been told by a lot of people that the red line product has never really been updated and can have a tendency to have a gelling like Jello effect. If it was only in straight water only I would probably use it. I'm sticking to using their CVT non-slip fluid, their SI 1, and an occasional run of their engine oil if I feel I want to clean things up a bit inside the motor.

Rocking the Lubegard Kool It.
It had one leaked. Said to keep and sending another. Went ahead and added the leaky one which probably lost about 10 percent. If I can drop even two degrees internally I will be content as GDi engines seem to run better at 88+ octane vs 87 e10. I try to occasionally put some clear non ethanol 87 or 91 just for feeling good. Holds about 17 gallons so if I put five bucks in, it seems noticable

This is going to be my 3rd year using the Amsoil version.

The car warms up faster. My goal was a little different - got heat to come out of the vents a little faster.
I've used the RP Purple Ice product and DEI HeaterHotter product. The RP stuff I didn't see any difference but the HeaterHotter was quite apparent that it warmed up quicker. I've since flushed the system and don't have anything but regular coolant in that truck

So ~5 mos no issues or gelling that I can discern. I may get some hot weather track time soon to see if this did anything.

I've used the RP Purple Ice product and DEI HeaterHotter product. The RP stuff I didn't see any difference but the HeaterHotter was quite apparent that it warmed up quicker. I've since flushed the system and don't have anything but regular coolant in that truck
Wait… if this product enhances heat transfer how does the engine warm up quicker? That is opposite what would happen.

Wait… if this product enhances heat transfer how does the engine warm up quicker? That is opposite what would happen.
the heat gets from the engine to the heater faster and the thermostat is still closed so you don't loose that much heat through the radiator and hoses. once the thermostat is open heat flows to the radiator faster, and so less heat stays in the engine

the heat gets from the engine to the heater faster and the thermostat is still closed so you don't loose that much heat through the radiator and hoses. once the thermostat is open heat flows to the radiator faster, and so less heat stays in the engine
So the coolant additive affects the set point of the thermostat?

I have to admit I can’t figure out what you’re trying to say. Either the heat transfer is improved, inhibited, or is not affected. It works both ways in the engine and in the radiator, whether that be the one in front of the engine or the one under the instrument panel.

heat transfer is improved. you get better heat transfer to the heater core and to the radiator, lowering your coolant temperature and increasing heat to the cabin. when the engine is cold (less than 180f) the thermostat will be closed so no heat will be lost through the radiator.

tldr: since heat can transfer from the engine to the radiator/heater core faster, you get more heat to the cabin/atmosphere and less heat stays in the engine

Back