Volvo Oil

Hello,

We have a 2016 XC90 T6 Momentum in the family and have been using Castrol 0-40w Euro car but noticed now Volvo has changed their recommendation to a 0-20W oil with a different approval which is impossible to find in our area - Iowa.

I know you can buy the new approvals in a Motul brand online, however, we change the oil very 4k (+/-) I am having a hard time thinking the Euro car 0-40W isn't viable considering our change timing.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Tim

We ran an A5/B5 5W-30 in ours up until a few years ago. It has a sticker under the hood that says to use an A5/B5 5W-30 under the hood. I was told the change to the VCC RBS0-2AE 0W-20 was more to do with oil burning and the low tension piston rings. We didn’t burn any with the 5W-30, and I don’t burn any with the 0W-20 either. I change every 5,000 miles (Volvo calls for 10,000 miles). I dump out 6 liters and put back 6 liters when I change. I order the LiquiMoly VCC RBS0-2AE oil and filter change kit online.

Thanks to all for your input. The vehicle doesn't currently burn much of any between changes. I have sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis and everything looked good except there was a little higher level of fuel presence. The sample was from a cold weather period which may have contributed. I just changed it again over the weekend and plan to send another sample.

Just to ***** and to be transparent, I am an old guy - but WTH is up with no dipstick....

Just to ***** and to be transparent, I am an old guy - but WTH is up with no dipstick....
Yeah, this is kind of normal for luxury brands unfortunately. Hoping it doesn’t start transcending other price points.

I would continue running a 0W40 or 5W40 that meets the A3/B4 specification.

An alternate would be a 5w40 that meets the API CK-4/SN, ACEA E7, E9 spec such Rotella T6 and others in this class.

The motor in this vehicle is a 2.0L Turbo and Supercharged direct injection engine. Wouldn't we be interested in oils that prevent LSPI and carbon build up on the valves? IE API SN Plus, API SP and HTO-06?

The motor in this vehicle is a 2.0L Turbo and Supercharged direct injection engine. Wouldn't we be interested in oils that prevent LSPI and carbon build up on the valves? IE API SN Plus, API SP and HTO-06?
The VCC RBS0-2AE is a Volvo spec made specifically for the Drive-E powertrains.

I'm going to bump this one. Volvo had been using Castrol Pro 5w30 in the T6 engine. Now they want 0w20 which to me seems crazy for a turbo and supercharged engine....plus 10k changes lol. I checked with FCP Euro and IPD USA...both great sources for Volvo info. One said go to go the 20w and the other said stick with the 30w. Engine was built for 30w and I will stick with 0w30. I don't give a rip about fuel efficiency (one reason given for the 0w20), I want this engine to last a bit.

Back