Volvo Cartridge C&P - 2004 XC90 using HPL 0W30

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Daughter’s XC90 is back here in VB for a bit of work, some rear hubs, transmission drain and fill, body work (Boston drivers…sheesh), a few interior bits, and, of course, an oil change. 4,000 miles on the Volvo OEM filter. 247,000 miles on the car. HPL 0W30 Euro.

I have posted about the car before. I found a great deal of carbon in the engine when I dropped the sump about 12,000 miles ago. I cleaned the engine sump mechanically and sealed it back up. Pics here -
Post in thread 'Filter pictures HPL 0W30 6,000 miles, 2002 Volvo XC70'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...000-miles-2002-volvo-xc70.360166/post-6648642s

I realize that I could go much farther on David’s excellent oil. This was more a matter of convenience since the car was here, and I don’t have to impose on somebody up in Massachusetts, as I did last winter - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/thank-you-trav.375830/

IMG_0225.jpeg

The carbon bits are definitely there. Not worried by this, as I think it is cleaning up all the carbon that I could not remove mechanically last summer.

I’ve noticed the same carbon in my wife’s V70XC - which had the sump dropped and resealed last fall. Pictures here - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-hpl-0w30-6-000-miles-2002-volvo-xc70.360166/

The filter media looks relatively clean, compared with longer runs on higher mileage versions of the same engine.

Daughter’s XC90 is back here in VB for a bit of work, some rear hubs, transmission drain and fill, body work (Boston drivers…sheesh), a few interior bits, and, of course, an oil change. 4,000 miles on the Volvo OEM filter. 247,000 miles on the car. HPL 0W30 Euro.

I have posted about the car before. I found a great deal of carbon in the engine when I dropped the sump about 12,000 miles ago. I cleaned the engine sump mechanically and sealed it back up. Pics here -
Post in thread 'Filter pictures HPL 0W30 6,000 miles, 2002 Volvo XC70'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...000-miles-2002-volvo-xc70.360166/post-6648642s

I realize that I could go much farther on David’s excellent oil. This was more a matter of convenience since the car was here, and I don’t have to impose on somebody up in Massachusetts, as I did last winter - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/thank-you-trav.375830/

View attachment 223566

The carbon bits are definitely there. Not worried by this, as I think it is cleaning up all the carbon that I could not remove mechanically last summer.

I’ve noticed the same carbon in my wife’s V70XC - which had the sump dropped and resealed last fall. Pictures here - https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...-hpl-0w30-6-000-miles-2002-volvo-xc70.360166/

The filter media looks relatively clean, compared with longer runs on higher mileage versions of the same engine.
I really should've cut my filter open on the last couple of oil changes on our 2013 S80. It's so easy to do with a cartridge, I just never thought of it at the time. Next OC is due in October, I'll have to remember to cut it apart and take pics!

I agree that this filter reflects chunks rather than a bunch of small particles & is overall still a functional filter at 4k. It's a balance between convenience & curiosity when to chop open a filter. It's bringing the big chunks exactly where it belongs to the filter. I like how you include the link for the previous internal deep cleaning & provides some history. This filter appears cleaner than your other vehicle in that link that you ran HPL on. I would argue "a good chunk" cleaner..ha ha. Great job so far & will be interesting on what you can report in the next 4k or so. Are you going to target another 4k run or stretch it out a bit?

Speaking of which, what is the proper procedure for a cartridge filter? Let it dry/drain for a few days? What sort of prep do you do to the filter before removing the end caps and rolling the pleats out for photography?

Speaking of which, what is the proper procedure for a cartridge filter? Let it dry/drain for a few days? What sort of prep do you do to the filter before removing the end caps and rolling the pleats out for photography?
Personally, I use the blue oreilly's shop towels & rubber bands. I went through a good chunk of those towels b/c I wanted it as dry as I could wait for 3-6 days. It allows you to really see all the bits & pieces that are hard to see when it's soaked in oil. I just take some needle nose plyers & pry off the end caps. I think I might try to remove the end caps then squeeze the media in my new vice to make the process much quicker. I hope it doesn't disturb the particles too much though if it does at all.

I agree that this filter reflects chunks rather than a bunch of small particles & is overall still a functional filter at 4k. It's a balance between convenience & curiosity when to chop open a filter. It's bringing the big chunks exactly where it belongs to the filter. I like how you include the link for the previous internal deep cleaning & provides some history. This filter appears cleaner than your other vehicle in that link that you ran HPL on. I would argue "a good chunk" cleaner..ha ha. Great job so far & will be interesting on what you can report in the next 4k or so. Are you going to target another 4k run or stretch it out a bit?
I plan to let it run for more like 6,000 next time.

It has a PCV system leak (annoying, because I replaced it all last year) which will get fixed. Oil consumption on this engine is very low, even with the leak.

The real determinant will be how much it gets driven. My daughter is a big skier, and despite her academic load, generally gets out of Boston every weekend.

The other challenge is logistics. She is in school in Boston, and I am down here. If it wasn't for Trav last fall, and my son in Vermont this spring, it would have gone about 12,000 on the last run.

I would not call the particles "chunks". Individually, they are smaller than 0.25mm and they are soft to the touch. They crumble.

Squeezing the media in paper towels after the media is cut out will cause some of the captured debris to transfer in to the towel. When paper towels are wrapped on the filter and held down by rubber bands before the media is cut out, the oil just wicks slowly through the media to the peaks of the pleats where the towel is making contact, and doesn't disturb the debris down between the pleats. It takes longer, but it's the best way to do it.

Back