Volant filtration upgrades

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, a few years back, @Quattro Pete introduced me to Volant, who sells Donaldson PowerCore air filters (the most efficient filters on the market) in CAI kits. They finally appear to have one available for the DT RAM:

So was thinking of buying it for the truck. Does anybody have any experience with these? Unlike most CAI kits with cone filters, this is actually an upgrade in terms of filtration efficiency.

Filter is guaranteed for 4 years or 100,000 miles.

On Tundra forums, they are generally reviewed negatively. I will see if I can dig up some reasonable sounding reviews.

The excellent efficiency is tempting though.

So, a few years back, @Quattro Pete introduced me to Volant, who sells Donaldson PowerCore air filters (the most efficient filters on the market) in CAI kits. They finally appear to have one available for the DT RAM:

So was thinking of buying it for the truck. Does anybody have any experience with these? Unlike most CAI kits with cone filters, this is actually an upgrade in terms of filtration efficiency.

I have one that was on my 2019 RAM (DT) for maybe 4000KM. I removed it when I traded the truck in.

Fit and finish on the airbox and duct work is top notch. It really is a nice piece of kit.

Performance wise, maybe feel a little more ooomph on the very top end. It does introduce a nice underhood growl to the engine.

It's currently sitting in my garage in it's original box if you are interested in it.

Last edited:
I have one that was on my 2019 RAM (DT) for maybe 4000KM. I removed it when I traded the truck in.

Fit and finish on the airbox and duct work is type notch. It really is a nice piece of kit.

Performance wise, maybe feel a little more ooomph on the very top end. It does introduce a nice underhood growl to the engine.

It's currently sitting in my garage in it's original box if you are interested in it.
Perfect, and you bought the PowerCore filter? (I know they have two filter options). And yes, I'm interested.

Bought one for my dad on his GMC 2500. Was able to install himself and said it was throaty loud when hitting incline. Likes it alot. I bought because of the dry type filters.

On Tundras, some praise it, but others are very negative without providing any decent sounding reason.

It appears to be a well made product, and maybe some of the bro dozer owners didn’t like that it didn’t improve gas mileage. That was a common complaint, surprisingly.

The Donaldson filter is a winner, for sure.

Installed (yes, she's FILTHY!):

72C13BD4-FA26-4A06-BE09-2260A056F816_1_105_c.jpeg

A4A94D21-042A-4672-A17B-C2C5AAD2519A_1_105_c.jpeg

EAF94E55-71AB-4EC9-ABF5-BBC5AAA9FD25_1_105_c.jpeg

My one concern was that the grommet that goes on the throttle body seemed both of a different shape (it has a flat side) and taller than the one in the instructions:
6F59ABD4-EF96-4107-8724-8B5366F81DE8_1_105_c.jpeg

433E99F0-6906-42BB-BA79-E8032C90A46A_1_105_c.jpeg

vs the one in the instructions:
1659500414111.jpg

I spoke to @BornSlippy and this was the "update" to the product to allow it to fit the eTorque trucks. Unfortunately, this additional height has the ACT cable pulled a bit much for my liking, so I'm going to reach out to Volant and see if I'm still able to get the old (non eTorque) grommet. Wish me luck! LOL If I can't get it, I may try to source one elsewhere.

You could try trimming off a little bit of each end to get it to sit a little bit lower. It's strange because I don't remember that connector having that much strain on it. Is it possible part of that harness is tucked away under the engine cover?

If Volant is no help, you could try searching around for turbo piping suppliers. Some of them sell custom silicone elbows, couplers and reducers. Might even find something that is a regular stock item that would work.

IMO that's a pretty basic coupler.

Measure the ID of both ends. I'm sure Vibrant has something in their catalog.

You could also trace that wiring and see if there is slack down a little further.

As @BornSlippy said, looks like you could get at least 1/2" by trimming the narrow end of the coupler.

Last edited:
You could try trimming off a little bit of each end to get it to sit a little bit lower. It's strange because I don't remember that connector having that much strain on it. Is it possible part of that harness is tucked away under the engine cover?

If Volant is no help, you could try searching around for turbo piping suppliers. Some of them sell custom silicone elbows, couplers and reducers. Might even find something that is a regular stock item that would work.
Volant has already offered to send me a replacement grommet, just confirming the dimensions with them :)

Why people think these aftermarket intakes are worth a **** is beyond me. Just noise makers. Unless your able to tune with the intake. As a bolt on there a waste. I’ve wasted money over the years on aftermarket setups. Sold one to a kid and I was honest with him and said it’s just a noise maker. He was happy with that.

Why people think these aftermarket intakes are worth a **** is beyond me. Just noise makers. Unless your able to tune with the intake. As a bolt on there a waste. I’ve wasted money over the years on aftermarket setups. Sold one to a kid and I was honest with him and said it’s just a noise maker. He was happy with that.
Did you even look at the pictures?

You’re talking about something completely different.

Apples to Oranges

You might want to take a look at what the Volant kits ARE here ;) Highly suggest reading the OP before responding.

This isn't an open "hot air kit" in the engine bay, in fact, it's essentially just a replacement for the stock airbox and plumbing that uses the stock cold air intake inlet in front of the rad. The difference is that this kit uses the most efficient air filter on the market, the Donaldson PowerCore, that's the reason it is being fitted. It doesn't make any additional noise.

Did you even look at the pictures?

You’re talking about something completely different.

Apples to Oranges
You might want to take a look at what the Volant kits ARE here ;) Highly suggest reading the OP before responding.

This isn't an open "hot air kit" in the engine bay, in fact, it's essentially just a replacement for the stock airbox and plumbing that uses the stock cold air intake inlet in front of the rad. The difference is that this kit uses the most efficient air filter on the market, the Donaldson PowerCore, that's the reason it is being fitted. It doesn't make any additional noise.
I’ve had the AFE scoop with custom piping using the factory i

Hope it works out for you. I’ve used intakes that where open and closed. The closed ones took air from the factory location fender area. All did nothing for me. I’d be curious what the intake temps show before and after.

I’ve had the AFE scoop with custom piping using the factory i

Hope it works out for you. I’ve used intakes that where open and closed. The closed ones took air from the factory location fender area. All did nothing for me. I’d be curious what the intake temps show before and after.
The only goal here is improved filtration over OE (which is already excellent) and a longer filter life. You really can't get a better filter than the PowerCore, but unfortunately they aren't available for most applications, being an HD diesel filter.

Shamefully, I will admit to buying a Turbo City intake for my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9L. That Grand Cherokee was the grand daddy to the SRT Jeeps. Anyway, the Turbo City intake did NOTHING for performance as the filters were open to the engine bay and sat directly above the valve covers. However, it did appeal to the five year old in me as it did make that 5.9L howl like a NASCAR.

4630777051_f2b5752c06_z.jpg

Back