VOA's: Amsoil MTF & Redline MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
I use Rl MTL in my BMW but it's to thick in winter (amazing when hot). Would the MTF be better in winter (easier cold shifting) than the MTL?

It's possible, as the Amsoil MTF is thinner than the Redline MTL. However both are thicker than the BMW factory fill, since they use ATF viscosity range fluids. Since you're already using MTL I'd say go ahead & try the Amsoil MTF & let us know if it improves cold shifting much. I guess you could also include the GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh on your list to try since it's a hair thinner than the Amsoil.

Why the significant reduction in ZDDP. Previous versions had 3 times the amount. My understanding was ZDDP was reduced in motor oil(SL to SM)to prevent poisoning catalytic converters. This is a transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Redline advertises their oil as a GL-4. I don't think you can make a GL-4 without sulfur or chlorine (and I don't think they use the latter).

The Extreme Pressure agent is a P-S combo, while the AW agent is a usually ZDDP. These are both GL4 rated oils with about 60% of the EP package found in GL5 differential lubes.

The oils shown are both synchromesh oils with about 1200 ppm of P and 3000+ ppm of sulfur with included buffering compounds.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1231182#Post1231182

Thanks for the information Molakule.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
I use Rl MTL in my BMW but it's to thick in winter (amazing when hot). Would the MTF be better in winter (easier cold shifting) than the MTL?

The difference in viscosity is so small I doubt you would notice a change, especially since ambient temps are so variable, which in turn affects viscosity. I put 50/50 MTL and MT90 and it seems a little too thick in the winter. Next change I'm using straight MTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back