VOA- Valvoline VR-1, 10w/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA- Valvoline VR1 10w/30 (street legal version)

Blackstones Comments:
Nothing unusual turned up in the this sample of virgine 10w/30 No metals were found and the sample was moisture free. Insolubles were present at a trace level but this is likely due to normal oxidation and isn't a problem. Calcium is a detergent/dispersant, while phosphorus and zine are both anti-wear additives. We think this oil should treat your engine well.

Aluminum- 0
Chromium- 0
Iron- 0
Copper- 0
Lead- 0
Tin- 0
Moly- 1
Nickel- 0
Manganese-0
Silver- 0
Potassium-0
Boron- 10
Silicon- 5
Calcium- 1717
Magnesium-18
Phosph- 850
Zinc- 1007
Barium- 0

SUS Visc. 210- 61.1
cST Visc. 100- 10.54
Flashpoint- 400
Insolubles- TR
TBN- didn't test

Since so many people, including myself, were asking about VR1 and Brad Penn and other oils for flat tappet, performance engines; I thought I would send a test out on VR-1 and Brad Penn Grade 1. Both supposedly 'racing oils' or heavy-duty performance street oils. I had a small rant on a posting earlier this week and said I would share the details once I had time.

I think this looks very similar to a SL oil, so I am dissapointed- MOSTLY because Ashland states that VR1 levels for Z & P are in the 1200ppm-1300ppm range, which the numbers don't play out. I have also been told that Blackstone is somewhat notorious for stating lower Z & P levels for oils. While I may agree to a certain extent, the SM and HDEO levels for Z & P seem to fit the API ISLAC levels specified. Even if Blackstone is tests are somewhat inacurate, I do find it had to believe it would be off some 400pmm for P and 200-300ppm for Z. However, I am no expert regarding any kind of oil analysis testing and just making comments from gut instinct.

Enjoy.

There's been plenty of evidence that Blackstone's numbers are all over the place.

I wouldn't trust the numbers one bit.

Even some HDEO results have been messed up like this.

If thos numbers are righ the only thing that shines is the zinc,everything else looks weak, this oil looks weak even if it has a nice TBN.

Valvoline states this oil uses ashless anti-wear additives along with ZDDP. Those additives don't show up in VOAs/UOAs. Don't discount this oil's anti-wear performance based on this VOA.

Calcium is on the low side because oil's meant for racing/street use often work best that way. Of course it won't last as long as but it's a compromise.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Valvoline states this oil uses ashless anti-wear additives along with ZDDP. Those additives don't show up in VOAs/UOAs.

so they could be lying and one would never know it,i like seeing
what i'm buying,go figure.

Originally Posted By: daman

i like seeing what i'm buying

Even your beloved Mobil 1 that can't even meet GF-4?
crackmeup2.gif

Anyone who's been a student of UOA has seen that Blackstone's numbers are all over the map.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: daman

i like seeing what i'm buying

Even your beloved Mobil 1 that can't even meet GF-4?
crackmeup2.gif

Anyone who's been a student of UOA has seen that Blackstone's numbers are all over the map.

yea yea i haven't lost a engine yet to M1's inferior specs bro.

plus you can see whats in there VOA's,can you prove this one's
"all over the map" as you say?? could be spot on.

Oh not mad at nothing by the way.
grin2.gif

Blackstone labs is not an accredited lab and has proven to have made mistakes before.

American Refining Group, Inc./Brad Penn: a 150-year-old Made in America company that is ISO 9001:2000 certified VS. Blackstone labs… LOL

Posted this before, but here it is again -

Scan003February142008.jpg

I wouldn't say blackstones numbers are all over the place. I would say they are consistantly low key word being "consistant." whoever you use, use them for both VOA's and UOA's to establish a trend, it's hard to compare labs with different testing methods! If you feel so strongly about this matter send in a via of the same oil to Polaris!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back