VOA suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some virgin Redline 80W-140 and 75W-90 gear oil, SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30, Pennzoil PureBase 5W-30, 10W-30, and Quaker State Dino 10W-40.

For used analysis, I can send in SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 in about 7 months (most likely not even close to 3000 miles tho).

any recommendations as to how to go about this?

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I have some virgin Redline 80W-140 and 75W-90 gear oil, SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30, Pennzoil PureBase 5W-30, 10W-30, and Quaker State Dino 10W-40.

For used analysis, I can send in SuperTech Synthetic 5W-30 in about 7 months (most likely not even close to 3000 miles tho).

any recommendations as to how to go about this?

Metro, I would search this VOA section to make sure no one has posted results for those oils yet. I would then get some kits ordered and send in your samples to the same lab. I have been using Terry Dyson and am very happy with his services. I have been trying to send in both virgin and used samples of the same oils to see how they hold up afer use. I hope this was the answer you were looking for. -Joe

The problem is, a lot of ppl send in their samples with these brand new engines and the results are inconclusive.

The way I drive, I don't think my 7600 mile 4.6L V8 is going to have a lot of copper and other metals found in new engines, plus I must have done about 10+ oil changes since I got the car.

I haven't found any VOA's or UOAs of the Supertech Synthetic. Just one UOA of SuperTech dino 5W-30 that patman didn't like.

Yep.

All dino oil changes up till last August tho. I've been running the SUpertech Synth 5W-30 since then. Logged only 800 miles tho. Waiting till August or close to August before sending in a sample.

I usually do 3 month changes with dino 5W-30 + new filter. So figure about 3 years, 4 changes per year give or take a few - roughly 10.

The problem is my dad used to do this w/ the 302 V8 w/ 10W-40 and it still sludged up badly. I hope its just because of the older oil formulations... I'd hate to have a sludged up modular motor.

Metro even though new engines are still breaking in, it is still good to run UOA to see how the oil is holding up in regards to Viscoscity and TBN. It also lets you know if your engine has other problems if you find water, antifreeze or fuel in your oil. -Joe

I don't think anyone has done quaker state yet. The 10W-40 QS would be interesting!
smile.gif

Does QS contain Moly?

Yes, QS has about 50-80 ppm per Pennzoil. And just because I find it interesting for lawnmower use the straight 30w Penn. has 160 ppm!!
wink.gif

we see analysis of the name brand stuff all the time, maybe some no-name cheap oils found and supermarkets, etc. would be good candidates.
tongue.gif

I'll cast a vote For Drive Clean Blend 5w-30. Or, since I know how inquisitive you are where 5w-20 is concerned, howx about 5w-20 MobilDrive Clean?
grin.gif

I'll gladly donate some Amsoil Series 2000 0w-30 is someone wants to do a VOA on that.

Mikep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back