VOA Motul Classic 15W50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A couple of years ago, GermanAutohaus published a VOA of Motul Classic 20W-50. In the US, this is the only oil sold by Motul for classic vehicles, and it is marketed as suitable for engines 2001 and older.

However, in Europe, the Motul Classic catalog has quite a few references formulated for various eras of the automobile history:
- SAE 30 with low detergent level (pre-1950)
- SAE 50 with low detergent level (pre-1950)
- 20W-50 with mid detergent level (1950-1970)
- 15W-50 with modern detergent level (post-1970)

A close look at the technical data sheet reveals that the Euro version Classic 20W-50 is not identical to the US version Classic 20W-50 (see comparison table below).

However, I was more interested in the Classic 15W-50, and especially how it compares with the 4100 15W-50, another semi-synthetic oil with modern detergent levels.

A few VOAs have already been published for this Motul 4100 15W-50, including:
- GermanAutohaus (May 2016) (scroll to the bottom)
- SubieRubyRoo (January 2019)
- Bustaknuckle (January 2020)

I just received my Blackstone VOA of the Classic 15W-50, posted below along with the manufacturer's technical datasheet. I've also attached two comparison tables of Motul Classic products.

To me, it looks like this Euro Classic 15W-50 is very similar to the US 4100 15W-50, with a higher TBN, but quite different than the US Classic 20W-50 (see molybdenum & boron).

Comments are welcome,

Sincerely,

Peter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot to mention:

Intended application is a Maserati Quattroporte III (1982). The engine is the V8 tipo 107, which was used in most Maseratis of the classic era (Quattroporte I, Mexico, Indy, Bora, Kyalami, Khamsin in a dry sump variant, and Quattroporte III). I will post a UOA to see how it performs. The oil originally recommended by Maserati was Agip SINT 2000 10W-50.

Feel free to share any thoughts on the suitability of this oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jamespeter26
Sorry, I forgot to mention:

Intended application is a Maserati Quattroporte III (1982). The engine is the V8 tipo 107, which was used in most Maseratis of the classic era (Quattroporte I, Mexico, Indy, Bora, Kyalami, Khamsin in a dry sump variant, and Quattroporte III). I will post a UOA to see how it performs. The oil originally recommended by Maserati was Agip SINT 2000 10W-50.

Feel free to share any thoughts on the suitability of this oil.

It looks pretty good, i might try it in my Ford Capri for the next OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back