VOA- Brad Penn 1- 10w30/Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA- Brad Penn Grade 1- Racing oil, 10w/30

Blackstones Comments:
This virgine sample of Brad Penn Racing Oil has a viscosity that read closer to a 5w/30 than the 10w/30 we were expecting. The viscosity is fairly close to a 10w/30 though. No water or insoluble material was present among the sample content. The oil additive levels are typical of this oil and grade. Sodium, magnesium, and calcium are detergent/despersant additives, while phosphorus and zinc serve as an anti-wear function. Nothing problematic was found in analysis. This is serviceable oil.

Aluminum- 0
Chromium- 0
Iron- 0
Copper- 0
Lead-
Tin- 0
Moly- 2
Nickel- 0
Manganese-0
Silver- 0
Potassium-2
Boron- 2
Silicon- 5
Sodium- 356
Calcium- 1084
Magnesium- 452
Phosph- 947
Zinc- 1113
Barium- 0

SUS Visc. 210- 58.8
cST Visc. 100- 9.87
Flashpoint- 400
TBN- not tested

These bottles DO READ - "Racing Oil", the newer bottles read "High Performance Oil". Again, I had an earlier rant about flat tappet oils on another persons post earlier this week. Wanted to share the details of my rant. Many appologies for hi-jackig of that post. Anywho, marketing of oil is what I'm not please with. BP states, 1400ppm- 1500ppm is typical levels of Z & P in their 'unique cut from their towers' in P.A. I purchased this oil because of the supposed z & p levels but will buy HDEO from now on- so much cheaper and easier to obtain. Again, have heard that Blackstone labs in notorious for listing lower z & p levels but again, I don't think they could be missing 300-400ppm. Could be wrong though.

Enjoy.

wow!!
crazy2.gif
27.gif

Originally Posted By: genynnc
VOA- Brad Penn Grade 1- Racing oil, 10w/30

Anywho, marketing of oil is what I'm not please with. BP states, 1400ppm- 1500ppm is typical levels of Z & P in their 'unique cut from their towers' in P.A. I purchased this oil because of the supposed z & p levels but will buy HDEO from now on- so much cheaper and easier to obtain. Again, have heard that Blackstone labs in notorious for listing lower z & p levels but again, I don't think they could be missing 300-400ppm. Could be wrong though.

Enjoy.

300-400ppm = margin of lab error.

I’ve seen examples here where Brad Penn has gone above and beyond with their customer service; probably way more than an off the shelf oil at a big box store. I’d call them and let them know you are displeased with their product based on your findings and they will make it right.

Give them one more chance and don’t cut them short. Let's see what they have to say.

CopmSyn-

I'm not an unreasonably minded person. I did give them a call- and I'm not usually a person to compain or be 'upset' about a product that does't measure up to their advertisements (unless we are taling dial bore gagues, calipers, and the like...). I did call Brad Penn, as I knew their customer service is top notch. However, a customer service manager called me, and said..."Our unique cut off our towers ensures a base oil that contains 3 mangnetized heads which will counter act the lower amounts of Z & P. Other 'racing oils' have a base oil that is not similar to ones found in Pennsylvania and they act with only one head of magnetization, which doesn't necesarily cling to moving metal parts inside your engine..." I can't aruge with that because I've never heard of magnetized 'heads' in an oil...? I've got 4 cases of it so they are going to get another shot, believe me. I'm tring to be legitimate here not trh]ying to flame them. I just find it hard to believe when every Pennzoil 5w-30 and Valvoine 5w-30 I've sent in has been pretty spot on for an SM oil, you know? Not saying there aren't exceptions- becaus no one's perfect... I'm just concerned when I build a $5K engine for someone and tell them to run a certain oil after 'break in'.... an then I send a virgin oil sample off and then it comes back a little low. I don't maybe I'm over reacting?

Wow! Looks like the customer service manager you spoke with danced around the question and practically admitted to lower than advertised ZDDP numbers.

In the letter posted above from American Refining Group, Inc. You can see Technical Service Representative, Kenneth M. Tyger’s e-mail and phone number information. I might try and get a hold of Mr. Tyger to see if he will have a more satisfactory response.

I had a similar concern with additive content on a Blackstone VOA I did with a different oil company's product. I contacted the company and they also danced around the issue. But in the end, they recommended I start using Polaris Labs instead of Blackstone. Since most of my UOA's have been with Blackstone (with a sprinkling of Dyson UOA's), I decided that consistency for wear trend analysis was more important to me than metal content of the add pack. I have found Blackstone to be very consistent with their readings over the years, so I have useful comparisons.

Since add pack levels of virgin oil seem to be your highest priority, maybe Polaris Labs would be worth a try. Good luck.

I know this is an old topic, but I found this today when looking at the Brad Penn Oil website:

http://www.bradpennracing.com/Zinc.aspx

Interesting reading and at the very bottom of the page is a for further information (click hear) link that has some very interesting reading. I think and feel the folks at Brad Penn are being upfront and honest.
I do not know if this has already been posted, so forgive my ignorance if it has.

Why would you buy Brad Penn oil when their Zinc/Phos numbers are coming back much lower then what they advertise them at? WOW... Reading this puts doubt in my mind and I would never use their oil in a new/rebuilt engine with flat tappets... To much money at risk to take a chance on fn up your engine.

I think Brad-Penn is making much, much more of an effort to have their oils actually meet the levels of additives they are claiming.

I think they wanted, before, to keep the oils somewhat 'legit' by having them possibly meet API SJ/SL...now I don't think they are API rating them at all - they already have an API line of oils for that.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Why would you buy Brad Penn oil when their Zinc/Phos numbers are coming back much lower then what they advertise them at? WOW... Reading this puts doubt in my mind and I would never use their oil in a new/rebuilt engine with flat tappets... To much money at risk to take a chance on fn up your engine.

????

Guess you didn't click on the link provided above.

Okay, let's try posting the actual text from the link:

Quote:
ZDDP LAB RESULTS

We have seen the question arise on a number of chat rooms and websites about the amount of Zinc and Phosphorous in our Penn Grade 1 High Performance Oils. The questions seem to have arose after a number of people individually sent samples of our products to Blackstone Lab(s) for analysis. The Blackstone report showed a lower Zinc and Phosphorous additive concentration level then our established in house specifications and laboratory results from our ISO 9001:2008 quality control lab proved.

In an effort to clarify any misconception about our product we did our own testing and sent three virgin oil samples (each from the same identical batch) to both Blackstone Lab and Southwest Research Lab for testing. All three Southwest sample results were completely in line with our internal specifications/analysis. The Blackstone zinc and phosphorous results in all three analysis were lower than our internal specifications/analysis and Southwest Research’s lab results. The results for both the Blackstone and Southwest Research analysis are listed below:

Brad Penn Product........Blackstone.......Southwest Research

Penn Grade 1............zinc 1,214ppm.......zinc 1,540 ppm
20W-50 #7119...........phos 944 ppm........phos 1,319 ppm

Penn Grade 1............zinc 1,424 ppm......zinc 1,565 ppm
10W-30 #7150..........phos 1,139 ppm......phos 1,332 ppm

Brad Penn PCMO..........zinc 689 ppm........zinc 1,051 ppm
20W-50 SJ #7123*........phos 522 ppm........phos 901 ppm

*In some cases we feel our PCMO SAE 20W-50 was sent in for analysis (and not the High Performance Oil SAE 20W-50) which does contain lower Zinc and Phosphorous additive concentration levels.

We feel there is a measurement issue with Blackstone’s oil sample testing and will be addressing this with them. Please feel free to share this information on any chat site or group you belong to. For further information please [click here].
- Cited HERE

I like Brand Penn and will use their break-in oil in my upcoming flat-tappet cam equipped engine build.

Mag 1 oil here where i live has a lot of zinc and phos in it.You dont need anything besides 10w30 in a street engine unless its just wore plumb out or you have a race car 20w50 is way to heavy not good for it esecially in the cold its about like gear oil at 10 degrees.I would never go any higher than 10w30 in a street engine unless its wore out or very high mileage. I have a car with 203,954 and i still run 10w30 no problems.

this oil sure doesn't look like a racing oil let alone a good car oil..iam very disappointed in brad penn..incidently, brad penn never got the old kendal formulations from years ago..says a kendal rep at the mile high nationals...don't bother with this oil!!imho

I've been running the Penn Grade 1 (Brad Penn) racing oils for years and I have never had a flat tappet cam wear issue. I know many local racers and a few engine builders who swear by it. Sometimes people confuse the race oil with the Brad Penn passenger car motor oil. There is a large difference in Zinc/Phos levels comparing the two lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back