VIZIO BluRay player freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My one year old (or so) BluRay player now freezes in random sections on at least 2 DVDs (one plain and one BluRay) that I have tried. When it freezes I need to power off and back on. Is lens cleaning going to do the trick? I have not used it all that much. Maybe 25 DVDs over the past year.

Last edited:
If the lens was the problem, it would freeze all the time, I think.
a BD player is much like a computer - sounds like a memory/cache not clearing or something.

Vizio is not a brand known for reliability or high quality in BR players.

Next time go with a Panasonic - IMO, they build the most stable and reliable players for VERY good prices, that have beaten $1000 players in tests for pic quality.
Pioneers can also be OK AFAIK, but they don't offer the great features or the pic quality that Panasonic offers, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My one year old (or so) BluRay player now freezes in random sections on at least 2 DVDs (one plain and one BluRay) that I have tried. When it freezes I need to power off and back on. Is lens cleaning going to do the trick? I have not used it all that much. Maybe 25 DVDs over the past year.

sounds like some good chinese quality control there. If there is a firmware update you can try that.. otherwise you most likely will need to replace it or get it repaired(how long is the warranty?)

Last edited:
I say put it up and keep as spare. As I had the same exact problem with my Vizio.I had Blue Ray's that wouldn't play and normal Dvds that wouldn't play, lot of that has to do with the firmware updates. As for freezing up for no reason whiles streaming Netflix or watching a Dvd, that is perfectly normal for low end Vizio players , as there wireless adapters have issues. I would power off, and it wouldn't power off. I pull the plug and it still wouldn't power off when I plugged back in. I say go with the Sony Blue Ray, much better and right now I think you can get them at Walmart before Christmas for $100 dollars.

There are many reasons it could be freezing...is it making any mechanical noises that you can hear when this happens?

If so then it's probably something to do with the servo in the machine (positions the pickup diode and laser over the disk accurately). Cleaning may help, probably not though unless you know that is somehow got dirty.

If "dirt" was a major problem then the owners manual would instruct you to clean it.

Having owned many CD/DVD's and 1 blue ray player over the past 20 years or so, I've never had to clean the receiving diode or the laser diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back