Lost a Good TV last night... 2014 Vizio TV failure

While watching TV last night, after having been on for a couple 2-3 hours, my 2014 Vizio P-series suddenly lost picture on the RH 50% of the screen, displaying nothing but garbled colors. Shortly after, the set turned off and has been stuck in an endless restart attempt since then. Tried all the usual tricks, nothing.

As I'm not REALLY in the mood to spring for a new TV right now, given the '23 models will be out soon, I've ordered a replacement power board from eBay for $67, as it seems to be a common issue on my model and the symptoms match. Maybe I'll get lucky!

If not, she served me well. In 2014, even the Vizio cost $1,599.99. It was one of the first full-array dimming, 4k, 120hz sets on the market. A big deal to a 25 year old me when I brought it home!

While watching TV last night, after having been on for a couple 2-3 hours, my 2014 Vizio P-series suddenly lost picture on the RH 50% of the screen, displaying nothing but garbled colors. Shortly after, the set turned off and has been stuck in an endless restart attempt since then. Tried all the usual tricks, nothing.

As I'm not REALLY in the mood to spring for a new TV right now, given the '23 models will be out soon, I've ordered a replacement power board from eBay for $67, as it seems to be a common issue on my model and the symptoms match. Maybe I'll get lucky!

If not, she served me well. In 2014, even the Vizio cost $1,599.99. It was one of the first full-array dimming, 4k, 120hz sets on the market. A big deal to a 25 year old me when I brought it home!
I've had good luck fixing flat panel TVs. There's only a few components-- panel, power supply board, CPU board and sometimes an AV in/out board. 90% of the time, it's the power supply board in my experience. The only part that's usually cost prohibitive to replace is the panel itself.

Last one I fixed was a 2018-ish Vizio flat panel (E or V series, their cheaper line). In-laws were going to throw it in the garbage and had already bought a replacement. There was a larger diode pair wired in parallel on the power supply board (I think they were being used as a rectifier), one was shorted so I replaced the pair. That one cost less than $5 to fix, sold it on Marketplace for $100.

Regarding old TV's, I'm still waiting for my '06 Samsung 1080P DLP TV to give up the ghost, it's been my main living room TV since I bought it. Wife won't let me buy a new one until it dies. It's been a trooper, as it should be for $2,700 (one of first 1080P sets) when I bought it. On its second lamp but otherwise been flawless and still has a great image. DLP stinks for PC use is my only complaint.

I've had good luck fixing flat panel TVs. There's only a few components-- panel, power supply board, CPU board and sometimes an AV in/out board. 90% of the time, it's the power supply board in my experience. The only part that's usually cost prohibitive to replace is the panel itself.

Last one I fixed was a 2018-ish Vizio flat panel (E or V series, their cheaper line). In-laws were going to throw it in the garbage and had already bought a replacement. There was a larger diode pair wired in parallel on the power supply board (I think they were being used as a rectifier), one was shorted so I replaced the pair. That one cost less than $5 to fix, sold it on Marketplace for $100.

Regarding old TV's, I'm still waiting for my '06 Samsung 1080P DLP TV to give up the ghost, it's been my main living room TV since I bought it. Wife won't let me buy a new one until it dies. It's been a trooper, as it should be for $2,700 (one of first 1080P sets) when I bought it. On its second lamp but otherwise been flawless and still has a great image. DLP stinks for PC use is my only complaint.

Appreciate the feedback! While physical board repair is outside my wheelhouse, I'm more than comfortable pulling the back panel off and swapping boards. While I have no real "attachment" to this TV, I'm the type (much like yourself) that has a hard time justifying a $1k purchase when I have the knowledge to repair what I have for 1/10th the cost while keeping yet another electronic device out of a landfill.

suddenly lost picture on the RH 50% of the screen
I feel your pain! My 15 year old 52 inch Panasonic Viera plasma did the same thing a couple of years ago. I bought a Sony 65 inch to replace it but can’t make myself throw the old plasma away. IMO the Panasonic plasma had a better picture than the new Sony. Maybe it can be repaired?

I feel your pain! My 15 year old 52 inch Panasonic Viera plasma did the same thing a couple of years ago. I bought a Sony 65 inch to replace it but can’t make myself throw the old plasma away. IMO the Panasonic plasma had a better picture than the new Sony. Maybe it can be repaired?

I'm hoping the power board I ordered will do the trick. Although it doesn't owe me anything at this point, I'd hate to at least not make an attempt at repair.

Funny you mention your plasma set, however! The Vizio in question actually replaced my Toshiba 50PA5500 that I picked up from Ultimate Electronics (yes, that Ultimate Electronics) circa 2011, just before their downfall. I loved that set... Sure, it couldn't compete with a Kuro or Viera but to 22 year old me it was AMAZING.

Unfortunately... it was stolen during a robbery shortly after I moved into my current house. Could have been worse... but I was SO bummed knowing that plasma was dead and I'd never have the chance to see it again. Like... those who only got to ride upper deck in a 747 once or twice.

A board swap is super easy, however losing 50% of the screen makes me think it's the T-con board.

In 2014 my dad had me go to BEST BUY and buy him a 49" LG TV. In 2020 the screen went black. You can still hear the volume and if you look at the screen from the side you can barely see the picture. Will this be an expensive fix, or should I just throw it away?

A board swap is super easy, however losing 50% of the screen makes me think it's the T-con board.

Appreciate the feedback. During my research, I did see mention of the T-con board failing which shared several symptoms with the PS board. Unfortunately, the T-con board for my model is both difficult to find and expensive when I can. The PS board was readily available and cost $67 shipped. If that doesn't cure my issue, I'm giving up.

In 2014 my dad had me go to BEST BUY and buy him a 49" LG TV. In 2020 the screen went black. You can still hear the volume and if you look at the screen from the side you can barely see the picture. Will this be an expensive fix, or should I just throw it away?

In your case? Throw it. BB is selling 50" models for sub-$300

In your case? Throw it. BB is selling 50" models for sub-$300
He replaced it with a 50" VIZIO. About 1/3 of the bottom of the screen kind of has a slight shaded area of screen. I don't like VIZIO TVs, so I gave it to a lady friend. She loves it!
Below is a link on what can be a fix to the problem. I will try this before chunking it.

1970-Admiral-Color-12in-$249.jpg

this 12" bad boy from 1970 would have cost $1,971 today.

I got a 55" LG from the trash and it has 5000 hours on it. 50% of the LEDs were burned out so instead I bought all new light strips and installed them. Works perfect. The aftermarket LED strips actually are metal backed for batter heat removal. You can see on the originals the back sides of them has small burn marks as the LED strips ae just fiberglass PCB's.

Can you plug into the diagnostics port?

It's not worth the effort fixing it.

Too bad these flat panels do not have the 20 + years endurance of the CRT's long ago. Eight years in nothing to brag about.

Never saw a CRT TV last that long. My family had a 1970s RCA - maybe 20". I remember my dad or me doing the usual stuff like hitting the side if the colors started going crazy. It also had the standard knob. And we'd periodically go to Radio Shack to replace the main vacuum tube; they usually had a tube tester. But it was dead after maybe 8-9 years and not coming back. We replaced that with a 19" Zenith (when they were still American made) that had a "fancy" keypad to enter the channel, rather than a knob. But even that only lasted about 6 years, even though it was solid state. We kept on replacing tube TVs when they went bad. And after several years the picture was often degraded.

I also remember using this weird CRT monitor that was specific to Sun Microsystems. I had one die on me and my manager let me borrow his dual mode (this weird mode plus regular SVGA) Sun monitor until I could get a replacement from our IT department.. It's complicated but we were in a remote office from our regional HQ in Silicon Valley, and one tech wouldn't give up an excuse to come over just get out of the office. I think one time he dropped off two of these. Said that they had retired most of them and it was no problem bringing an extra one from storage, since only a few groups they serviced still used them.

Had a 42" Samsung plasma for 12 years. It had issues like burn in. I tended to watch one channel and the little logo in the corner burned in. When I first got it I used a cable box that output 4:3 analog, and when I used the standard 4:3 aspect ratio, the gray sides also kind of burned it. Those were apparent within weeks and never went away, although it was less noticeable once I started watching real 16:9 content.

My newer (2020) 55" Samsung LED is better except under certain conditions where there's too much ambient light. I can't do anything to burn in - even forgetting that I had some content paused for an hour and coming back to it. And it only cost $400. I don't really miss the plasma TV.

Back