Viscosity Synthetic vs Conventional

Need some clarification, if an oil has to met a spec whether synthetic or conventional, and a synthetic flows better when cold, wouldn't the synthetic be classified as a different spec? Example a 10W30 conventional has to met the spec of being a 10W30, but the synthetic version of the same viscosity having better flow properties still be a 10W?

Does this question even make sense, or am I thinking it all wrong?

-K

You are confusing the properties of the base oil with the properties of the finished product. With the conventional oil you might have to start with a thinner base stock than with the synthetic.

same but different!! the oils reported viscosity by a standard test is at 104 F + 212F BUT what happens above + below those temps is important as well as how used oil performs compared to new. lots of goof FACTUAL information on machinerylubrication.com from pros in the industry. so your 10w30 oil in an engine setting overnight in Green Bay Wisconsin is not a 10W as tested for advertising BUT much less viscous-thicker depending on base oil + its additives. machinery lubrication showed how various oil blends react to heat + cold that i found interesting!!! it showed how much more viscous-thinner mineral oils got past the 212F testing temps + even more drastically how much less vicious-thicker mineral oils get in the cold!! thats why ONLY real synthetic group IV + V are used in extreme temperatures. whether you need the xtra protection of real man made synthetics at 2 to 3 times the cost is the question. todays fake synthetic group III oils are a great value for MOST but NOT ALL motorists IMO. savagegeese.com showed a vid motor oil the fine print + misconseptions. a perfect oil analysis using a 0w20 in track use + it was perfect by test BUT noted the bearings were surely damaged by TOO viscous-thin an oil. there is so much about lubricants that only the pros like Mola + others REALLY know for sure IMO!!! so i continue to read as research continues BUT i believe besides meeting new specs doing it as CHEEPLY as possible is oil manufacturers goal to of course increase $$$$$ profits

same but different!! the oils reported viscosity by a standard test is at 104 F + 212F
KV 100 viscosity is done at 100C = 212F.

savagegeese.com showed a vid motor oil the fine print + misconseptions. a perfect oil analysis using a 0w20 in track use + it was perfect by test BUT noted the bearings were surely damaged by TOO viscous-thin an oil.
Funny, because I made a comment on one of his YouTube videos that 0W-20 wouldn't be good for track use and it would eventually smoke his engine. There's a good reason high performance car makers specify a higher viscosity oil for track use.

KV 100 viscosity is done at 100C = 212F.

Funny, because I made a comment on one of his YouTube videos that 0W-20 wouldn't be good for track use and it would eventually smoke his engine. There's a good reason high performance car makers specify a higher viscosity oil for track use.
I always was under the impression that the use of all the 0W20's and 5W20's, that an oil analysis would note any excess wear, thus proving or disproving that oils are or are not too thin.

I always was under the impression that the use of all the 0W20's and 5W20's, that an oil analysis would note any excess wear, thus proving or disproving that oils are or are not too thin.
Not really ... been lots of talk about the actual use of an UOA, and how there can more wear than what it seems to indicate. Obviously Mr. savagegeese.com found out the hard way.

Go back to post #5 were it says: "a perfect oil analysis using a 0w20 in track use + it was perfect by test BUT noted the bearings were surely damaged by TOO viscous-thin an oil."

savage geese has some great vids IMO + i always note that your daily environment as well as driving habits are most important when choosing an oil. those wanting to Hot Rod their rides need to learn how to correctly + spend $$$$ for the proper oil + gauges to see what its really doing. remember when i put conventional 20-50 in my oil burning 307 nova to cut consumption, IT WORKED + it barely cranked + would NOT start in freezing temps!! even my garaged hardly porkster would not start with 20-50 Amsoil no less but a 10-40 cured that!!

same but different!! the oils reported viscosity by a standard test is at 104 F + 212F BUT what happens above + below those temps is important as well as how used oil performs compared to new. lots of goof FACTUAL information on machinerylubrication.com from pros in the industry. so your 10w30 oil in an engine setting overnight in Green Bay Wisconsin is not a 10W as tested for advertising BUT much less viscous-thicker depending on base oil + its additives. machinery lubrication showed how various oil blends react to heat + cold that i found interesting!!! it showed how much more viscous-thinner mineral oils got past the 212F testing temps + even more drastically how much less vicious-thicker mineral oils get in the cold!! thats why ONLY real synthetic group IV + V are used in extreme temperatures. whether you need the xtra protection of real man made synthetics at 2 to 3 times the cost is the question. todays fake synthetic group III oils are a great value for MOST but NOT ALL motorists IMO. savagegeese.com showed a vid motor oil the fine print + misconseptions. a perfect oil analysis using a 0w20 in track use + it was perfect by test BUT noted the bearings were surely damaged by TOO viscous-thin an oil. there is so much about lubricants that only the pros like Mola + others REALLY know for sure IMO!!! so i continue to read as research continues BUT i believe besides meeting new specs doing it as CHEEPLY as possible is oil manufacturers goal to of course increase $$$$$ profits

Um, wut?

Go back to post #5 were it says: "a perfect oil analysis using a 0w20 in track use + it was perfect by test BUT noted the bearings were surely damaged by TOO viscous-thin an oil."

Well thank God you can take something tangible out of that sentence...

"Were surely damaged"? Okay. And he knows how?

Back