Virgin K&N HP-3001 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
For your consideration and viewing pleasure... one of the HP-3001 filters I had on the shelf. Unfortunately it has a dent in the dome end from shipping, and since I don't use dented filters it went to the knife. I do like that they have incorporated a base end bypass valve in this part number now. If only they would adopt this practice on the HP-2010 that fits Ford Modulars.

Enjoy folks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wish I knew who made it. I had some older HP-3001 filters, and they were built differently. Differently enough that they seemed to be made by a different supplier. The older ones were even made in Mexico, the one pictured is U.S. made. This is also the first one I've seen with a base end bypass. Supposedly in the past it was Champion but I have no idea now.

Thanks for posting. The issue is- I believe you posted an old stock K&N filter, which was made by Champion. The oil filter you posted pictures of has a made is USA stamp on it. That filter shared the internals with Mobil 1 oil filters, the outside was different with the K&N trademark "bolt". Unfortunately, the only thing left in the current K&N filter is the bolt outside casing. The rest of the filter is lowest cost supplier internal parts supported by cheap engineering.

When Champion and Fram merged, K&N quit using Champion as its supplier.

K&N went to a Korean firm as its supplier, and now uses a Chinese firm. I would not use a K&N made in China or Korea under any circumstance. Also, it is near impossible to find a old stock, USA made K&N oil filter in a retail store. I loved the old K&N oil filters made by Champion, and was always on the lookout for them. About three years ago was the last time I found an old stock K&N at a retail store.

Last edited:
I agree that it's hard to put a lot of trust in a company that changes suppliers often. Thank you kindly for the insight. I do know that the PS-7022 I've been using on the Hyundai Santa Fe is Korean made, but it is a cartridge filter. Can't hide anything on one of those! The OEM Hyundai 3C100 Filter for that car is also Korean made. Which is the car's home land anyway.

Everything about this K&N says Champ Labs made to me. Unique thread end bypass design, yellow date code lettering and format, Champ Labs. Looks a lot like the M1 and that's how K&N used to look before going offshore to Korea then Mexico. Using the 2018 manufacture date seems they've come full circle and back to Champ Labs. Back to made in US, not a bad thing imo. Thanks for c&p.

Wow, missed it was made in the USA in 2018. If that is accurate and Champion is back to being the supplier- great news!

Nothing wrong with Chinese or Korean manufacturing. Something is wrong when a firm changes supplier to save money and puts sub par parts in the same nice packaging.

I use only Fram Ultras but a few weeks back my neighbor gave me two K&N PS-1004 filters

Late 2018 production as he ordered the wrong ones. Made in China and the quality and execution was superb
I cut one open and will use the other. The louvers were the best I had seen lately- not one was semi open. No sharp edges,
tight media and no extra glue. Very impressive

Thanks OP,

Good looking filter. To add to someone else's comment... so many C&P K&N appear to be made by different companies that it's hard to keep up. I hope and actually do trust, their QC requirements are uniform across the supply chain and country of origin.

I actually cut open a Mexico made HP-3001 a few months ago, and the pleat spacing was insanely wide. I emailed K&N with some pictures and they sent me two new ones gratis. This is one of the filters they sent me, and the only reason I cut it open was due to the shipping damage. Not K&N's fault, they came UPS. I've had many items damaged by UPS, so no surprise there. I will use the other K&N on my ‘47 Ford 2N Tractor. I've converter it from a cartridge style to a spin on, and accepts FL1-A equivalent filters.

Here are pictures of the pleat spacing on the Mexico built HP-3001 I cut a while back:

2D0C222D-3EC5-4D6E-ACD4-EDC92E63AC63.png

64B7EC31-2C36-4EC5-A185-94A955C7C702.png

FA5AC220-F231-4CD2-AAED-7A619FFDB23B.png

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I wouldn't bash the country of origin thing. Judge buy cutting it open and looking.
By the way, my iPhone 7 was assembled in China.

And so was the dog food, powdered milk, and lead painted toys, etc. Not to mention decades of intellectual property theft. Communist China......you have to admire the government's strategic plan and the people's willingness to follow the script (seriously). China will win.

Scott

Originally Posted by Zee09
I use only Fram Ultras but a few weeks back my neighbor gave me two K&N PS-1004 filters

Late 2018 production as he ordered the wrong ones. Made in China and the quality and execution was superb
I cut one open and will use the other. The louvers were the best I had seen lately- not one was semi open. No sharp edges,

Zee are you actually considering another manufacturer? Ohhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by Onetor

Zee are you actually considering another manufacturer? Ohhhhhhhh

No, they were free and I have a vehicle I could use one on.
Most of my vehicles require ramps and oil pan covers and a bunch of hassle to get to
and that is where the Ultra shines. Every other oci....
Saving a few $$ using cheaper filters is not worth it especially here.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I wouldn't bash the country of origin thing. Judge buy cutting it open and looking.

And so was the dog food, powdered milk, and lead painted toys, etc. Not to mention decades of intellectual property theft. Communist China......you have to admire the government's strategic plan and the people's willingness to follow the script (seriously). China will win.

Scott

I'm sure Apple has deep and thorough over sight in the QA department too. If you don't watch manufacturing like a hawk in China they will take every shortcut possible and not follow specs.

Those pictures are amazing. Mine looked nothing like that.
Horrible spacing.

Yep. After I sent K&N those pics (more than those, maybe 6 pictures) they sent a very professional email back and two filters on the house. I though it was nice of them. I really didn't expect anything back from them. The replacement filters (at least the one at the subject of this thread) looks and feels much better. Better fit and finish. And the change to a front end bypass valve.

Last edited:

Scott

I guess. They already own your bonds.
laugh.gif

Last edited:

Scott

Win what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back