Virgin C&P Fram Endurance FE3614 vs Kohler Pro Blue 25 050 53-S

For my new-to-me 2015 Ariens Zoom 42 with the Kohler 7000 (and to entertain myself), a head to head of a Fram FE3614 from Walmart and a Kohler Pro Blue from a third party Amazon seller.

It's a zero turn so there are no clearance problems with the longer filter.

More photos in replies. The baseplates and gaskets are identical except for the inlet holes...

IMG_4045.jpeg
IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4052.jpeg
IMG_4056.jpeg
IMG_4058.jpeg
IMG_4060.jpeg
IMG_4067.jpeg

The Kohler media is triple (!) layer, with translucent inner and outer layers that are obvious glass fibers and tough to rip, and an opaque middle layer that seemed to be much finer glass fibers, but tended to crumble when handled. 1 5/8 x 7 1/4 x 4 (folded twice) = 47 sq in. There were 31 pleats to the Fram's 36.

That's all of the photos.

IMG_4087.jpeg
IMG_4088.jpeg
IMG_4089.jpeg
IMG_4090.jpeg
IMG_4091.jpeg
IMG_4092.jpeg
IMG_4094.jpeg
IMG_4095.jpeg

do you think there is room for a FE3600 sized filter? i can only imagine extra oil volume and some extra surface area on the filter to aid in cooling would be desired.

Good detailed review! Thanks.

Louvers opening on the fram is really on the thin side. Seems like the opening depth is equal to the center tube material thickness.

The Kohler media is triple (!) layer, with translucent inner and outer layers that are obvious glass fibers and tough to rip, and an opaque middle layer that seemed to be much finer glass fibers, but tended to crumble when handled. 1 5/8 x 7 1/4 x 4 (folded twice) = 47 sq in. There were 31 pleats to the Fram's 36.

View attachment 211769View attachment 211770View attachment 211771View attachment 211772View attachment 211773View attachment 211774View attachment 211775View attachment 211776

Great photos and posts sir. Thank You

Thanks for the C&P! What I would be interested in is the price for each of these and how they compare. I've cut open a lot of OPE filters. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they are just quite overpriced for what they are. The standard B&S and Kohler filters I've seen for over $20/each in the store, which is crazy considering they are basically just a cheap jobber filter inside most of the time. I recently scored some Kawasaki OEM filters on ebay, but they seem a bit better made than the typical B&S and Kohler basic filters.

I have not seen these blue Kohler filters available anywhere besides online yet.

For my new-to-me 2015 Ariens Zoom 42 with the Kohler 7000 (and to entertain myself), a head to head of a Fram FE3614 from Walmart and a Kohler Pro Blue from a third party Amazon seller.

It's a zero turn so there are no clearance problems with the longer filter.

More photos in replies. The baseplates and gaskets are identical except for the inlet holes...

View attachment 211731View attachment 211732View attachment 211733View attachment 211734View attachment 211735View attachment 211736View attachment 211737View attachment 211738View attachment 211739
Good Morning mxkx,
Congratulations on your new to you Ariens unit. Ariens is a great brand. Great comparative filter pictures . . . thank you.
I found the spot welds on the Fram look bigger on the tapping plate in pics 9 & 10 plus more pleats and in2 with the Fram as you noted. I looked up pricing and the Kohler is approximately $3 more than the Endurance. The only thing I couldn't find with the Kohler filter is an efficiency @ micron rating to compare. Also I'm very curious why Kohler had an India company make their filters when their engines are produced in the USA? I'm sure cost had to do with it but the supply chain distance is incredible. If the USA made Endurance applies to your unit, it appears to be a better value.

I did a look up on the Fram site of your Ariens unit and it returned the Fram PH8172 pictured below. It applies to both Kohler Command and Courage engines used on your Ariens Zoom. This filter covers 72 pages of power equipment of various equipment brands and engines. The picture shows a silicon anti drain back but I recommend examining the filter at the store to verify it is. Fleet Farm pricing is $9.99.

1712061315138.jpg

1712062790711.jpg

Last edited:

I shouldn't have said crumble here - the middle layer is not brittle. It just tore easily with very little effort.

do you think there is room for a FE3600 sized filter? i can only imagine extra oil volume and some extra surface area on the filter to aid in cooling would be desired.

From the standard Kohler filter to the frame there's about 1 1/2 inches to spare, including the space needed to spin the filter off the mount, so I think the 3614 will be as big as can fit there.

Thanks for the C&P! What I would be interested in is the price for each of these and how they compare. I've cut open a lot of OPE filters. There is usually nothing wrong with them, they are just quite overpriced for what they are. The standard B&S and Kohler filters I've seen for over $20/each in the store, which is crazy considering they are basically just a cheap jobber filter inside most of the time. I recently scored some Kawasaki OEM filters on ebay, but they seem a bit better made than the typical B&S and Kohler basic filters.

I have not seen these blue Kohler filters available anywhere besides online yet.

I paid $12.97 for the Fram and $15.75 for the Kohler. In stores and on the Kohler website the blue filter is only listed as part of the "300 hour" oil change kit, but I'm not that interested in paying $20/quart for lawnmower oil. Not sure if the online sellers are breaking open 300 hour kits to get them or if they have another source.

No surprise, OPE filter more expensive than even the top of the line Fram here. With very rare exception (OEM extended outlet tube filter/standpipe), if room permits longer 3614 application automotive application the way to go. That said, because of silicone abdv, probably one of the best OPE filters I've seen. Also, no surprise both orange adbv being silicone. Anything else would be an attempt at deception, imo. 3614 size more than adequate filter size, just compare it to spec.

Thanks for c&p.

Good Morning mxkx,
Congratulations on your new to you Ariens unit. Ariens is a great brand. Great comparative filter pictures . . . thank you.
I found the spot welds on the Fram look bigger on the tapping plate in pics 9 & 10 plus more pleats and in2 with the Fram as you noted. I looked up pricing and the Kohler is approximately $3 more than the Endurance. The only thing I couldn't find with the Kohler filter is an efficiency @ micron rating to compare. Also I'm very curious why Kohler had an India company make their filters when their engines are produced in the USA? I'm sure cost had to do with it but the supply chain distance is incredible. If the USA made Endurance applies to your unit, it appears to be a better value.

I did a look up on the Fram site of your Ariens unit and it returned the Fram PH8172 pictured below. It applies to both Kohler Command and Courage engines used on your Ariens Zoom. This filter covers 72 pages of power equipment of various equipment brands and engines. The picture shows a silicon anti drain back but I recommend examining the filter at the store to verify it is. Fleet Farm pricing is $9.99.

It's buried deep on Kohler's website but I did find 99% at 20 microns. The ADBV and relief valve in the photo are definitely different than what I have, so I'm curious when it was made.

I looked at the 8172 as well but I've decided to stick with microglass for everything as long as it's available.

1712065725497.jpg

It's buried deep on Kohler's website but I did find 99% at 20 microns. The ADBV and relief valve in the photo are definitely different than what I have, so I'm curious when it was made.

I looked at the 8172 as well but I've decided to stick with microglass for everything as long as it's available.

View attachment 211797
Great find. The 99% @ 20 microns is excellent and lines up with the Endurance. It's interesting their black can version is at 99% @30 which is comparable to the Extra Guard at 95% @20.

The best thing to keep the oil clean and working well with turf equipment is maintaining the air cleaner and making sure the cooling fins stay clear of clippings etc. Enjoy that Ariens as the cutting season approaches!

Back