Virgin C&P Fram Endurance FE3614 vs Kohler Pro Blue 25 050 53-S

The India holds it's own I think & for the cost/Claims I expect a red silicon Oring gasket on the Endurance.

The India holds it's own I think & for the cost/Claims I expect a red silicon Oring gasket on the Endurance.
for a filter that costs the same as a boss, why would you expect it to have a silicone O-ring and not the boss?

for a filter that costs the same as a boss, why would you expect it to have a silicone O-ring and not the boss?
Simply India is not a 20,000 mile rated filter. Cost being equal the Fram is expected to last a lot longer duration.

Simply India is not a 20,000 mile rated filter. Cost being equal the Fram is expected to last a lot longer duration.
that has nothing to do with saying for the cost it should have a silicone O-ring. i’ve never seen or had a nitrile O-ring leak. i love the silicone o rings on the PG’s but i don’t think it’s necessary. silicone ADBV is far more important IMO

that has nothing to do with saying for the cost it should have a silicone O-ring. i’ve never seen or had a nitrile O-ring leak. i love the silicone o rings on the PG’s but i don’t think it’s necessary. silicone ADBV is far more important IMO
Cost depends solely on what one pays for either filter & that can vary. When PG's can put one on I think the higher tiered/higher cost filters should do as well. We have a separate set of expectations & you're happy.

Cost depends solely on what one pays for either filter & that can vary. When PG's can put one on I think the higher tiered/higher cost filters should do as well. We have a separate set of expectations & you're happy.
overseas manufacturing is also cheaper per unit. but it still really isn't warranted, just a want from all of us.

The Boss is rated at 20K miles and it doesn't have a silicone base gasket. Now that the long life PG built filters have a silicone base gasket, people seem to think all filters should have a silicone base gasket, or they aren't "high quality". 😄

overseas manufacturing is also cheaper per unit. but it still really isn't warranted, just a want from all of us.
Haven't seen enough long 20k ODI's for it to really matter that much so in that sense it's not. However, I would feel more confident running an Endurance or any premium long drain oil filter, for 20k, if it also came with a silicon Oring.

The Boss is rated at 20K miles and it doesn't have a silicone base gasket. Now that the long life PG built filters have a silicone base gasket, people seem to think all filters should have a silicone base gasket, or they aren't "high quality". 😄
First, No one is claiming "aren't high quality" w/o silicon Oring but everything can be improved & some may be just fine with no progress forward. However, Boss should have it too period. Again, If PG can do it & keep costs down so can the premium brands that advertise double the mileage.

Last edited:
First, No one is claiming "aren't high quality" w/o silicon Oring but everything can be improved & some may be just fine with no progress forward. However, Boss should have it too period. Again, If PG can do it & keep costs down so can the premium brands that advertise double the mileage.
Appenently you forgot where PGs are made vs most of the Purolators. Last time I checked, the Boss was still made in the USA. Maybe if M+H moved production someplace else they could improve it without raising cost or even lowering the cost.

Appenently you forgot where PGs are made vs most of the Purolators. Last time I checked, the Boss was still made in the USA. Maybe if M+H moved production someplace else they could improve it without raising cost or even lowering the cost.
Wrong, I know where these filters are made. Silicon Orings can be made in the USA & is not exclusive to foreign countries. You or I don't decide what that cost is for that improvement & could very well be made cheaper right here in the U.S. However, nothing is stopping them from sourcing silicon material from other countries. Which they may or may not do already on some material. "Made in the USA w/ Global Material"

😄 Wrong, I know where these filters are made. Silicon Orings can be made in the USA & is not exclusive to foreign countries. You or I don't decide what that cost is for that improvement & could very well be made cheaper right here in the U.S. However, nothing is stopping them from sourcing silicon material from other countries. Which they may or may not do already on some material. "Made in the USA w/ Global Material"
Maybe you should get on the board of directors at M+H if you think they can swing silicone base gaskets. Or stop buying them instead. ;)

To add, a silicone base gasket is a nice touch like on the PG and similar filters which are rated to 10K miles, not 20K plus miles. But it's not really as important as a silicone ADBV for a long OCI rated filter, otherwise many other long use filters would be using one too. Maybe it helps the filter unscrew from the engine at filter change time. Some Purolator use to have the Teflon coated base gasket for that reason.

Maybe you should get on the board of directors at M+H if you think they can swing silicone base gaskets. Or stop buying them instead. ;)
To add, a silicone base gasket is a nice touch like on the PG and similar filters which are rated to 10K miles, not 20K plus miles. But it's not really as important as a silicone ADBV for a long OCI rated filter, otherwise many other long use filters would be using one too. Maybe it helps the filter unscrew from the engine at filter change time. Some Purolator use to have the Teflon coated base gasket for that reason.
I will continue to buy American Made M+H SILICONE o-ringed filters.

IMG_20240403_101159.jpg

IMG_20240403_101349.jpg

I will continue to buy American Made M+H SILICONE o-ringed filters.

View attachment 212114
View attachment 212115
Are they really 100% silicone? I don't think so, as Purolator's website still says this below, which is what the have always been like I mentioned above. If they were actually silicone, they would say so on their website. It's treated with Teflon, but is it 100% silicone beneath that coating? Burn one some day and find out. What's puzzling is why don't they use that style of base gasket on the Boss which is rated for longer use?

1712167547373.jpg

Are they really 100% silicone? I don't think so, as Purolator's website still says this below, which is what the have always been like I mentioned above. It's treated with Teflon, but is it 100% silicone beneath that coating? Burn one some day and find out. What's puzzling is why don't they use that style of base gasket on the Boss with is rated for longer use?

View attachment 212136
Woops, You're correct. The Purolator One's I posted are PTFE treated Gasket. :ROFLMAO:

The Purolator Boss's state:
  • PuroSEAL Gasket™ made from ethylene acrylic for maximum leak protection and life expectancy
Just bing searched some comparisons & PTFE is good for High Heat but doesn't bond very well. Acrylic is good for "Dimensional Stability" (Keeps it's shape better?) And must be more important for the longer duration. No one wants a leaky gasket! LOL
https://standardmachining.com/ptfe-teflon-vs-acrylic-pmma-properties-and-differences/#:~:text=PTFE is more resistant to heat and chemical,it won't warp or change shape over time.

Back