View of a P 51 cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Must be a 2 seat trainer version. I'm used to seeing that beautiful bubble canopy such as the one parked next to this one. Didn't know they had that metal molding canopy on the trainer.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Interesting. Must be a 2 seat trainer version. I'm used to seeing that beautiful bubble canopy such as the one parked next to this one. Didn't know they had that metal molding canopy on the trainer.

Looks like a pre-D version. The P-51B & P51C didn't have bubble canopies. The P-51D and later models had the bubble canopies. All the two-seat versions I've seen have a stretched bubble canopy.
p51-9a.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't the later D versions also use a RR Merlin engine? This one is Packard powered.

Edit now i see the plate P51C

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Didn't the later D versions also use a RR Merlin engine? This one is Packard powered.

Packard built the the merlin under licence from Rolls Royce.

I'd always heard that the nose up attitude and the fairly large instrument cluster made it hard to see the runway without hanging your head out of the side of the cockpit on takeoff, at least until you got enough airspeed to pick up the tail wheel. I can certainly see that from that 360 degree view.

What a fine warplane and a piece of American history.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Trav

Packard built the the merlin under licence from Rolls Royce.

I think he was referring to the early Allison V-1710 powered version. The easy way to tell is the Allisons had carb air scoops on top of the engine, Merlins had it on the bottom.

The allies needed an un-interruptable supply of Merlins for the war effort. the only way to insure that was to build them in the USA, out of range of the Luftwaffe. Packard got the nod.

Was the Griffon ever built outside of the UK?

Too bad RR never finished the development of the Crecy. That would be a screamin' machine at the Reno races. Imagine an easy 5000 HP in a chopped Mustang.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I have seen them perform at air shows they are impressive. I wonder what a turbine conversion would do!!!

I bet a PT6 would fit in the place of the Merlin without messing up the lines too much. You'd lose the sound of course and you'd probably have to add some weight to the nose to get the weight & balance (well, the balance anyway) right.

There were a very few P-51H models built. They looked like the D model but were significantly different and much lighter. The Packard Merlin had 2200hp thanks to an improved supercharger and water/methanol injection. Top speed was nearly 500mph.

Too bad RR never finished the development of the Crecy. That would be a screamin' machine at the Reno races. Imagine an easy 5000 HP in a chopped Mustang. [/quote said:
When that engine was tested, it was is said that the noise caused alarm in a city ten miles away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back