The P-51H Mustang

How many of you aviation members here knew about this P-51?
I've read the books and I have flown the Mustang...

Building the Mustang by Michael O'Leary

If you want to understand what it took to create America's Iconic fighter
from the first prototype and initial production Mustangs built for the
RAF, to the P51B Razor Backs and classic P51D Bubble Backs... If you want
to be right next to the factory workers assembling subcomponets,
wiring harnesses, engine mounts and sighting the 6 50 cal Browning machine
guns... If you want to listen to the engineers debate employing the new
NACA laminar flow airfoil and how aerodynamicist Ed Horkey
specifically adapted it for North American... If you want to be in the
cockpit with test pilot Paul Balfour as the first prototype lost
engine power and he was forced to dead stick in a plowed field and
come to a halt flat on its back...

full-45634-18955-p51book.jpg

I've read the books and I have flown the Mustang...

Building the Mustang by Michael O'Leary

If you want to understand what it took to create America's Iconic fighter
from the first prototype and initial production Mustangs built for the
RAF, to the P51B Razor Backs and classic P51D Bubble Backs... If you want
to be right next to the factory workers assembling subcomponets,
wiring harnesses, engine mounts and sighting the 6 50 cal Browning machine
guns... If you want to listen to the engineers debate employing the new
NACA laminar flow airfoil and how aerodynamicist Ed Horkey
specifically adapted it for North American... If you want to be in the
cockpit with test pilot Paul Balfour as the first prototype lost
engine power and he was forced to dead stick in a plowed field and
come to a halt flat on its back...

full-45634-18955-p51book.jpg
Because of my grandfather's service in WWII as an SS Nazi Panzer tank commander (2nd PANZER Division DAS REICH) and mechanical engineer I tend to lean towards the German aircraft of that time.
BUT when CB's were the in thing in the 70's my handle was SPITFIRE because of that BAD ARSE plane! I probably had EVERY REVELL model airplane made of the SPITFIRE when I was younger hanging from my bedroom ceiling. As I grew older my German mother would buy me the German JUNKERS JU 87 STUKA Cox .049 airplanes to fly (in circles with the 2 string and handle control model). If I would crash and break them, she would always buy me another.
IMHO, this P-51H would have brought the Luftwaffe to their knees A LOT sooner had it been in the fight sooner! And I like this fighter plane very much so! ;)

Because of my grandfather's service in WWII as an SS Nazi Panzer tank commander (2nd PANZER Division DAS REICH) and mechanical engineer I tend to lean towards the German aircraft of that time.
BUT when CB's were the in thing in the 70's my handle was SPITFIRE because of that BAD ARSE plane! I probably had EVERY REVELL model airplane made of the SPITFIRE when I was younger hanging from my bedroom ceiling. As I grew older my German mother would buy me the German JUNKERS JU 87 STUKA Cox .049 airplanes to fly (in circles with the 2 string and handle control model). If I would crash and break them, she would always buy me another.
IMHO, this P-51H would have brought the Luftwaffe to their knees A LOT sooner had it been in the fight sooner! And I like this fighter plane very much so! ;)
The days of stick and glue balsa 049s covered in tissue, hanging from the bedroom ceiling, man that takes me back. I had a .15 hanging center stage, 3 channel. The plane didn’t last but the engine did. Flew that same .15 in a PT-20 some years later and did everything I could to shave the weight and use that little engine. Moved to electric heli’s which didn’t require a field or make a mess (except when they hit the ground). Great memories.

0-0 0The days of stick and glue balsa 049s covered in tissue, hanging from the bedroom ceiling, man that takes me back. I had a .15 hanging center stage, 3 channel. The plane didn’t last but the engine did. Flew that same .15 in a PT-20 some years later and did everything I could to shave the weight and use that little engine. Moved to electric heli’s which didn’t require a field or make a mess (except when they hit the ground). Great memories.
I also had the Vega funny car with the COX .049 engine in it.
You would drive 2 nails 50' to 60' apart and tie the included string line to the nails. The funny car traveled the line and tripped the parachute by a small bead placed on the line. It also shut off the engine.
You started the .049 engine by applying the battery connection to the Glow plug head, spin the wheels, drop the body, and let her rip! My friends would sometimes try to race the car on foot. They lost miserably!
:p
In the video below is a similar funny car. But l never thought about running it like that! I now wish l had!

Back