Vibe, Matrix, Corolla Tires: Help Me Choose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Running a set of "GT Champerios 328", wearing pretty good.

50,000 miles on a $40 tire....

I think mine are called Epic Touring.

I did some research and read that they are made in US by a major tire company.

They are a better built tire than the goodyear and perform better.

If you look at the entry level goodyear from walmart, and other retail outlets, they carry no treadwear warranty at all.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Do your free rotations include remounting for directional tires? If not, then stay away from directional tires like the Tripletred. So my choice out of those two would be the Signature II.

I have the Dunlop SP Sport Signtaure on my Camry and they are awesome. 60k warranty on H/V-rated versions.

I didn't know that dismounting to swap sides was necessary on directional tires. I figured they just get rotated front to back on the same side like normal tires on a FWD. Would uneven treadwear be a real issue with the Triple Treds if the current tires are wearing well?

I currently have SP Sport Signatures, too. They are down to 4/32 at about 42,000 miles. They would make it through the winter if we don't get any snow, but that's a bet I'm not likely to win.

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
My 2010 FWD Vibe needs tires. I have narrowed my search down to 2 tires, and I'd like to know about your experiences with them--especially if you have them on a Vibe, Corolla, or Matrix.

I'll be buying from a Goodyear shop that does my rotations and state inspections. I can get a discount as a returning customer, plus a rebate on the Goodyears.

1) Dunlop Signature II. A grand touring all-season that gets decent all-around reviews on Tirerack. 65,000 mile warranty.

2) Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Season. Really good reviews, especially for traction and treadwear. They get comments and low marks for noise, though. The Vibe does not have what you would call premium sound deadening, so noise could be an issue. They also weigh 4 pounds more than the Dunlops, and I wonder if that would have an effect on gas mileage. On the plus side, the Goodyear rebate puts these within $30 of the Dunlops. 80,000 mile warranty.

Thanks for your comments.

Since you have a Vibe, you are probably aware of the alignment issue - too much camber. If not, then I am telling you now. These vehicles are prone to one sided wear due to the camber.

The fix is to take out as much camber as can be done - and IIRC that requires a camber plate of some sort. (OK, I looked it up and it appears to be an eccentric bolt.)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Since you have a Vibe, you are probably aware of the alignment issue - too much camber. If not, then I am telling you now. These vehicles are prone to one sided wear due to the camber.

The fix is to take out as much camber as can be done - and IIRC that requires a camber plate of some sort. (OK, I looked it up and it appears to be an eccentric bolt.)

Thanks for that tip. The current set of tires has worn evenly, but I'll watch for the issue. Now, do you know of a problem/fix for a 2001 Silverado 2WD with rack & pinion that likes to chew the outside edge off its tires? Every alignment printout over the years has shown proper specs, and every set of tires ends up worn on the outside edge.

Back on the tire decision topic, I'm getting Dunlop Signature IIs installed on the Vibe today. They just went on sale for an additional $15 off. I like the handling of the current SP Sports, though the ride is a little harsh. I hope a touring tire will preserve some of the handling but smooth out the bumps.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
......Now, do you know of a problem/fix for a 2001 Silverado 2WD with rack & pinion that likes to chew the outside edge off its tires? Every alignment printout over the years has shown proper specs, and every set of tires ends up worn on the outside edge.......

OK, let's start with the idea that the allowable tolerances are too wide - by half. My experience is that - with a few exceptions - alignments on the outer edge of the alignment specs are prone to produce tire wear issues.

Then there is the issue of rotating tires. You have to do this to reduce the effect that particular wheel position has on tire wear.

And lastly, I am aware that some wheelbases on this truck tend to produce tire wear issues because they didn't change the akerman - but I don't know what the fix is for that.

But I'll bet you'll find the answer in those first 2 items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back