Very Confused Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really confused now. I have a 03' Taurus I just bought with 7000 miles on it. Seems there is some very different opinions on the 5w-20 oil. I can't make up my mind on using M1 0w-20, M1 5w-30, or MC 5w-20. Seems some people like the MC and some like the M1, and after reading previous posts, I can't make up my mind. I like the thought of a synthetic and being able to extend OCI's, but don't know which viscosity to use. Just looking for some good advice with some data to back it up. Thanks

M1 0w-20 with a Motorcraft filter.

In regards to extended OCI's, I'd suggest first running Ford's OCI (for normal driving conditions) and getting an analysis done at that point to determine what should be done...

I'd go with the MC 0W-20, it has given some really good results, thats all that matters to me, if it gives good results, its working
fruit.gif

You still have the Ford warranty so you still have to change your oil every 5,000 miles no matter what oil you use. So why spend more money when the Motorcraft 5W-20 gives great service with 5,000 mile OCI's. This is of course assuming your driving is considered fairly normal. If not and you have to use the severe service OCI interval you'll still be protected and at a fraction of the cost of Mobil 1. In reality it doesn't pay to use a true synthetic unless you are going to extend the OIC's to at least 7,500 miles or you just feel "all warm and fuzzy inside by doing so" and costs be dam*ed. Why don't you do a 4,000 mile run with the Motorcraft 5W-20 and do an UOA to see how it held up to your type of driving. Then you'll know whether you can go further on the Motorcraft 5W-20 to 5,000 or need to switch to a true syntetic to go even to 5,000 miles or hopefully to 7,500 miles.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back