Vehicle Sighting - 1968 Acadian

When I saw this from a distance, I was sure it was a '68 Nova. But no, it turned out to be an Acadian. We (car guys of my vintage) used to think of the Acadian/Beaumont cars as "Canadian Pontiacs". Wiki says that certain Chevy models were rebadged as Acadians to give Pontiac dealers a small car to sell. I've seen a lot more Chevelle-based Beaumonts than Nova-based Acadians over the years.

Wiki says that the Chevy II/Nova-based Acadian was never offered with a big-block engine, so either Wiki is wrong, or someone's done a transplant. 396 indeed!

My interior shot through the glass didn't turn out, but the centre console was magnificent, with what looked like factory analogue gauges. The transmission selector on the console looked to be non-standard, showing "D-3-2-1", implying a 4-speed automatic, which GM didn't go to until a long time after 1968.

Anyway, if anyone can add anything, have at it!

20210920_121737_HDR.jpg
20210920_121748.jpg
20210920_121803.jpg
20210920_121811.jpg
20210920_121821.jpg
20210920_121830.jpg
20210920_121923.jpg

Thanks for posting this. What a trip down memory lane!

My first experience with uniquely Canadian vehicle names was driving around the north side of Lake Superior in the early 1970s. Beaumont? Laurentian? Huh? Those names made more sense there than the US names like Bonneville or Catalina.

Thanks for posting this. What a trip down memory lane!

My first experience with uniquely Canadian vehicle names was driving around the north side of Lake Superior in the early 1970s. Beaumont? Laurentian? Huh? Those names made more sense there than the US names like Bonneville or Catalina.
Glad you enjoyed this! Yes, the trim-level names did vary.

Here in Canada, the full-size Pontiac lineup included, in ascending order, the Strato Chief, Laurentian, and Parisienne. Later on, the Grand Parisienne was added on top, similarly to how Chevrolet added the Caprice to displace the Impala as the top trim level.

I visited friends in the States many years ago, and was surprised to see that their high-end '68 Pontiac was an "Executive". 🤔

Those look like '67 only 15x6 5 slot Corvette Ralleye wheels. 1967 was the 1st year of the Ralleye. They have been retrofitted on earlier cars.
'68 was another 1 year only at 15x7. Many '67 Vettes swapped the 7" wheel to fit a bigger tire. '69 forward used the 15X8 size.
The center cap is a 1 year only design. The Corvette center cap said "Chevrolet Disc Brakes" as I recall.

I have a feeling those might be original, because they look like they might be 14".
My understanding is, a 14x5 Ralleye was 1st used on '67 Novas if they had disc brakes, because the std wheel would not fit.

Novas had Ralleye wheels as an option in 1968, but they were 14". 14x6 in '68 and 14X7 going forward, if I am correct.
I do not believe they had the beautiful, flat center cap. But as this is a Canadian car, who knows?

I love the red stripe tire. Here is the '68 15x7 Corvette Ralleye. The Ralleye wheels were possibly the most beautiful wheel ever made. Argent silver, baby! Original wheels are pretty pricey nowadays. I have 5 originals; the spare had a worn F70/15 Polyglas bias ply tire on it.
68 side.jpg

Last edited:
I had a Fontaine Blue '65 Pontiac GP 421. On a trip up to Kenora I talked to a guy who had a '65 Parisienne in Fontaine. It was the same as the US Catalina and body as my GP, but had a SBC engine.
Yes, I saw a lot of SBC engines in '60s Pontiacs during my undistinguished career as an oil/lube/tune-up tech. The Chevy 327s had a decal that said "Turbofire 327" on the air-cleaner lid; the Pontiacs said "Astroflash 327".

Was Fontaine Blue that metallic silvery blue that GM used a lot in the '60s? Still one of my favourite car colours.

Nice little car! IIRC the oval exhaust tips weren’t available until 69 and then only on the big blocks. Plus these extend way too far back from the bumper.

Here is some Trivia. There was an Acadian Canso. Canso is a town in Nova Scotia and it happens to be where Tropical Storm Fiona made landfall last night.
The Acadians where French settlers in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, some of whom resettled in Louisiana and became the basis of the Cajuns.

Last edited:
Here is some Trivia. There was an Acadian Canso. Canso is a town in Nova Scotia and it happens to be where Tropical Storm Fiona made landfall last night.
The Acadians where French settlers in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, some of whom resettled in Louisiana and became the basis of the Cajuns.
I remember Cansos being pretty common here at one time. They were pretty much a Chevy II/Nova as I recall.

I always figured Pontiac had a healthy market share in Canada. GM probably lost some business when they folded the Pontiac line.

Back