Vehicle rusts more in Florida than Michigan?

So here’s the deal… I live in SE Michigan, lots of road salt and rust. Just the way it is. My Sedona is actually still pretty rust-free despite its age, surprisingly. This past February we drove it to Florida for a couple weeks. I noticed something strange once we got there though… a week or so after we arrived, it developed a rubbing sound from the front brakes; sounded kind of like a chunk or rust broke off and got stuck between the rotor and the dust shield. You know the sound. Almost if something was dragging; you could really hear it at low speeds, and was not there before. For the record, all rotors and pads were less than 2 years old, and the rotors were the Raybestos Element3 coated type. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I had the vehicle in the shop for some unrelated work, and the tech advised me that the front rotors needed replacing NOW because the inner veins had swollen with rust and bulged the rotor. Sure enough, he was right. They were bad. I could even feel the pulsing under braking. But the issue didn’t exist until we arrived in Florida.

Here’s another one… I just did an oil change on the vehicle today. It has the original oil drain plug, which was previously virtually rust-free on the outside. This time, it was covered in rust. I previously changed the oil in December, before we drove to Florida. Maybe the salty air did a number on my van? We stayed very near the gulf for 3 weeks FWIW.

If you were near the coast...don’t underestimate how much the coastal breezes can put as much salty stuff on your metal as it can. Even out in California, my circle of Mustang folks had someone living in Santa Cruz, a beach town, and they had some horrible rot which they readily put down to the salt air down there.

The dampness and humidity in Florida is real, but that is a bit extreme. Unless you drove on the beach and actually went in the water, but even then....

Florida along the coast, maybe, inland I seriously doubt it. I'd love to hear from a few members who actually live in Florida, coastal and inland if they have rust problems.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, I had the vehicle in the shop for some unrelated work, and the tech advised me that the front rotors needed replacing NOW because the inner veins had swollen with rust and bulged the rotor. Sure enough, he was right. They were bad. I could even feel the pulsing under braking. But the issue didn’t exist until we arrived in Florida.
You really believe after 2 years in Michigan, the rotors somehow rusted out after 3 weeks in Florida? Seriously?

If you were near the coast...don’t underestimate how much the coastal breezes can put as much salty stuff on your metal as it can. Even out in California, my circle of Mustang folks had someone living in Santa Cruz, a beach town, and they had some horrible rot which they readily put down to the salt air down there.
Exactly how close to the coast do you need to be for this to happen?

Anecdotal observation of local cars says otherwise. I live in Michigan. Very often older cars in Florida have paint damage, but older cars do not even exist up north.
Salt spray from the coast might cause accelerated rust, but there is no way it’s worse than the slush of winter. I have been to Florida for vacation every year for the last 30+ years.

Back