Vegetarian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm feeling spunky, I have a ?/statement.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO problems with people who want to be a vegetarian. That's there perogotive. But, I do have a problem with those who TELL everyone to be a veg, a lady at work recently did when I told her I was going fishing. She was saying how tortured the fish are when they have a hook in there mouth. I'm sure it does hurt, but I respect them and are thankful for them as being food, etc...

My thing is what about the freagin vegetables???? YOu think a stalk of celery likes to be cut??? Here are some perfectly contented potatoes, yet you rip up up, disturbing them, who the heck is lobbying for them??? At since it's Holloween, we need to be thoughtful of the pumpkins. They have feelings too. It's gotta hurt like he!l when you get you dang stalk cut.

Oh well, I'm done.

Most of the animals that I eat are vegetarian.

So I'm a vegetarian once removed.

Got a problem with that ?

One of my favorite bumper stickers:

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

quote:

Originally posted by james1:
One of my favorite bumper stickers:

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

PETA...."people eating tasty animals"...I like that one of your's also...

A brother commented that some of the 'nut & berry' crowd in Fairbanks just stayed indoors a lot in the winter as they had a hard time filling up with enough calories to stay warm and be active. I seem to recall that some of the people in Nepal and such areas eat lots and lots of yak butter, on bread, food, and in their tea.

Was a very good article in New Scientist a while back on traditional "vegetarian" diets, that had very very healthy people living extraordinarily long lives.

They analysed the cultivation and storage systems that were in use, and found out that approximately 10% (?) of their calory intake was animal origin due to the insects and weevles etc that infected their grains and legumes.

They took some people following a predominantly beans and rice diet, and supplimented their diet with 10% ground mealworms.

The people didn't notice the difference in taste etc, but ended up healthier.

So with modern food stoarge techniques, maybe vegetarian isn't all it's cracked up to be ?

You could make a case that farm animals often get treated better than the migrant workers who pick the veggies, not to mention all the diesel fuel burned by trucks and trains getting the produce from SoCal to markets in the east. Oh, the humanity
shocked.gif
, the global warming
shocked.gif
lol.gif

Shannows post was hilarious.

When my wife was a preggo, her doc told her to ABSOLUTELY eat meat since it's the only complete protein. Her doc said some women who are veggies have had more complications by (with the baby's development) percentage than those who ate meat. I married me a country girl, so her eating a nice fat medium rare steak isn't a problem
smile.gif

Like I said, if all you want to do is eat veggies, fine, just don't tell me too and you won't be on my fightin side.
cheers.gif

If I eat meat/chicken etc its gotta be organic (till you've eaten organic chicken you havn't eaten chicken) but i'll always go for the veggie option. Restaurants etc seem to put more effort into the vegetarian meals than the normal stuff. My wife just made an awesome organic anzibar tofu curry. She can cook a bit.

I've heard of the Outback Steakhouse. There was a thing on TV about it. An Americans view of what Australian food is like. From memory there are some strange names for food items. Is the food any good?

Some of their food is good, namely the better steaks. I would go on record saying they're only a notch below Ruth's Chris steakhouses. BUT, it depends on the chef and the individual restaurant, as always. I guess I'm lucky that the local Outback is quite good. I've been to a couple bad ones, though.

I have no idea if it's truly Aussie flavored since it seems so Americanized. I can tell you the Fosters on tap is VERY tasty indeed!
smile.gif

[ October 17, 2004, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

Outback Restaurants suck. We've been down this road before.

Beer (unfiltered) or homebrew is a great B12 source for vegetarians.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians He wouldn't have invented all the other animals.

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?
One if nobody's looking.

If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?

Vegetarian: Indian for "lousy hunter"

Best Vegetarian movies:

20,000 LEEKS UNDER THE SEA (PG) Divers battle undersea monsters to salvage priceless vegetables from a sunken freighter.

THE SPINACH PRISONER (R) A man is barricaded in his suburban home by strange neighbors who grow giant strains of green leafy veggies.

PULP FRICTION (XXX) Swingers enhance their eyesight and their sex lives with carrots, pumpkins, zucchini.

THE BLACK SCALLION (G) Horsing around on a remote island, a boy discovers a tasty new black onion. Nasty bad guys race to profit from his find.

WHO'S EATING GILBERT'S GRAPES (R) A classic whodunit about a thief who leaves no clues, except for some tiny seeds leading out the back door of Gilbert's Organic Fruit & Produce.

THYME BANDITS (R) Pint-sized bad guys corner the world's spice supplies while the good guys are busy resetting their clocks to EST.

ROTTEN TO THE CORE (PG12) Seedy inner-city wholesalers skin unsuspecting Ma and Pa groceries when they deliver overripe apples.

OKRAHOMA (G) A sprendid Japanese cast sings, dances, and grows corn as high as an erephant's eye!

THE GRATE MAN (R) Tragic biography about a man ahead of his time, Ron Popiel Sr., who went bankrupt selling his Grate-O-Matic vegetable grater using radio infomercials.

TRUE GRITS (PG) A yankee travels the deep south, searching for that authentic side dish he can't find anywhere near his home.

THE CANE MUTINY (G) Nursing home residents storm the kitchen and hold a cook captive, demanding real cane sugar instead of that funny pink and blue stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back