Varnish and Gunk

Status
Not open for further replies.
phishin did or do you ever have a slight rattle just before shifting in gears 1,2?
i have and am thinking it could be the chain rattling? i dont notice it at any other time.

how much did it cost you? VTC and timing chain/tensioner?

Originally Posted by Brybo86
phishin did or do you ever have a slight rattle just before shifting in gears 1,2?
i have and am thinking it could be the chain rattling? i dont notice it at any other time.

how much did it cost you? VTC and timing chain/tensioner?

No. My only rattle was a cold start rattle. Here is an actual video of the problem

I replaced a ton of parts: The timing chain, the exhaust cam sprocket, chain tensioner, guides, VTC Solenoid, VTC Actuator, and Spool Valve assembly (may not have been needed). I forgot to order the crank sprocket.
Mechanic also did a valve adjustment as well.

About $1500 total for parts (I ordered OEM Honda parts online--$600, his labor--$900)

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by Pablo
Amsoil leaves a slight yellowish brown "stain" - on Al surfaces after years of use. I believe as Terry said, it's mostly EP adds. In my experience AutoRx will NOT even touch this coating. (Even after 3+ treatments and the car running better than new)

It is definitely NOT something to worry about. It does bother me when people categorize this coating with real "varnish", which is quickly (mentally) associated with sludge.

This is what I was talking about. People generally associate the brownish tinge under the valvecover area as "varnish" when it is not actually so. So that was my point to the OP, until you really know if it's "varnish" or "EP fallout" it doesn't really make sense to try to attack it... and since he's been using syn oils for a long time, it's probably more EP fallout.

This is varnish, and could become a concern:
[Linked Image from bobistheoilguy.com]

This is EP fallout, and probably more likely what OP is considering varnish:
[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]

Well, I must say I learnt something today. I had no idea. Thanks for teaching me!

Originally Posted by Gebo
Shorter OCI. Max 5K

This ^^^^^

Like a good number of other guys have said earlier on this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back