Variable displacement oil pump and proper oil filter

I'm not sure what section to post this in.
I have a 2020 Ford Ecosport with the 1.0L Ecoboost engine.
That particular engine uses a variable displacement oil pump. I was just chatting with a person who is a hot rodder and engine builder and I'm just saying about that I wanted to use a different oil filter. I have used other filters in the past.

He told me that should not use any other filter other than the OEM filter which is Motorcraft FL910s.
He said these newer engines and variable displacement oil pumps are tuned to oil pressure and flow characteristics of the OEM Motorcraft filter.
That engine also has VVT. Not sure if phaser style or not. He also said the oil pressure needs to be correct, need the correct filter, for the oil pressure to adjust the camshaft for VVT.
He also said that's why it's also so critical that engine has the correct viscosity of oil. The engine doesn't so much care what viscosity of oil you use but the VVT sensors do!

Any truth to any of this? Should I really just stick to OEM filter and not deviate?

The FL-910S has been used since at least 2004 in all types of 3 and 4 cylinder engines, including V8s for a bit. I don't think they are specific to that engine or anything considering the widely varying engines they might go on. That being said, there is no reason not to.

That particular engine uses a variable displacement oil pump. I was just chatting with a person who is a hot rodder and engine builder and I'm just saying about that I wanted to use a different oil filter. I have used other filters in the past.

He told me that should not use any other filter other than the OEM filter which is Motorcraft FL910s.
He said these newer engines and variable displacement oil pumps are tuned to oil pressure and flow characteristics of the OEM Motorcraft filter.
That engine also has VVT. Not sure if phaser style or not. He also said the oil pressure needs to be correct, need the correct filter, for the oil pressure to adjust the camshaft for VVT.
He also said that's why it's also so critical that engine has the correct viscosity of oil. The engine doesn't so much care what viscosity of oil you use but the VVT sensors do!

Any truth to any of this? Should I really just stick to OEM filter and not deviate?
Variable displacement oil pumps used on cars are still positive displacement oil pumps. Therefore I say it's a fallacy to claim that the "oil pumps are tuned to oil pressure and flow characteristics" to any specific oil filter. An engineer designing an engine is designed to an oil filter sounds pretty ridiculous when you think about it. There are plenty of other oil filters besides Motorcraft that flow just as well or better than Motorcraft oil filters.

As far as using the "correct oil viscosity" ... many of the same engines used in other countries specify a whole spectrum of oil viscosity in the owner's manual depending on the ambient temperature ... even on engines with variable displacement oil pumps.

That’s probably the best Motorcraft filter anyway = my theory is the compact size helps with material durability

Should I really just stick to OEM filter and not deviate?
Since your car is still under factory warranty it's probably best to keep using the OEM oil filter ... that's what most people will say. But using a known good brand oil filter that's not OEM isn't really going to matter in terms of flow performance.

It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent mechanics don't understand how an oil pump and oil pressure or flow works. The VOLUME and therefore flow of oil per minute at a specific RPM is constant whether you use 0w20 or 20w50 as long as the oil remains pumpable and the pressure doesn't hit relief bypass (which is only a concern if you're redlining it from a below freezing cold start). Pressure will increase with a higher viscosity and decrease with a lower viscosity.

People confuse pressure with flow and vice versa. An oil pump does not care about pressure, it moves a specific volume of space (which just so happens to be occupied by oil) forcefully through the system with each rotation. Think of it in terms of hydraulics, if you have something like a bottle jack, the ram raises the same distance with each pump whether it's completely unloaded or has a 4000lb car underneath of it. If the filter is more restrictive, it will just push harder.

Last edited:
^^^ Exactly. I've said it many times ... the positive displacement oil pump and engine oiling system is very misunderstood.

A larger oil filter will not make enough if any difference in the life of the engine , Change the oil on a regular basis and a top quality air filter and a sealed intake will make a difference.

I would think that a larger/largest filter would flow more if the
standard filter restricts flow in any way. The Champ Labs filters with
the plastic cages might flow better than louvers, IMO.

My 2¢

I would think that a larger/largest filter would flow more if the
standard filter restricts flow in any way. The Champ Labs filters with
the plastic cages might flow better than louvers, IMO.

My 2¢
A larger filter doesn't flow more because the positive displacement oil pump moves the same volume per engine revolution. The oiling system is not like the water system in a house. The only time the PD doesn't move the same volume per rev is if the pump is in pressure relief. That doesn't happen unless the oil is cold and thick and the engine RPM is high, so it rarely happens.

It would basically take a completely clogged oil filter with a tiny bypass valve opening to cause a PD pump to hit pressure relief with warm/hot oil. A typical new oil filter only contributes about 6~8% of the total flow resistance of a typical engine oiling system. The engine itself is the big flow resistor.

A larger filter (all other factors held constant) will result in less delta-p across the filter, which can result in less filter bypass events, more debris holding capacity and better efficiency due to less already captured debris sloughing due to less delta-p.

Last edited:
While you're at it ...the wiper blades are also tuned to the windshield make sure to only use OEM.

+1 Positive displacement pump has no clue nor does care what the filter looks like.

Back