Vapor barrier cut around, or behind door speaker?

JHZR2

Staff member
The PO of my Ram put 5x7 speakers in the door (OE was 6x9) for some reason. Probably because install depth is limited. I think I found a set that will work, and want to install them.

The truck also doesn’t have a vapor barrier on either door, for who knows what reason... time to fix that for sure.

When I make vapor barriers, do I make it so the speaker area is cutout (seems like a bad idea), so it has another “flap” that is separate behind the speaker, or just make it a little bit “baggy”, so the barrier generally has slack behind the speaker?

Ive never had a vehicle with door speakers, so I’ve never had one opened up before to see how to do it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
The vapor barrier on 2003 Dodge Durango for the factory door speakers goes around the speaker. I have never had the speakers out of the door, but the factory speakers might have some kind of vapor barrier on the back of the speaker itself.

Are your speakers polypropylene by chance? If so, i'd just have a barrier baggy over the back and not worry too much.

Are your speakers polypropylene by chance? If so, i'd just have a barrier baggy over the back and not worry too much.
image.jpg

These seem to fit...

C0D0BF48-8F73-4294-9556-A8CFDBF1D5EC.jpg

Those do look great. The speakers weren’t much $. If I encounter issues, I’ll get those foam covers. The old 5x7 speakers the PO put in looked no worse for wear or water. And, I’ve changed the window squeegee to a new and much tighter one. So I think we will be good.

9F441CE9-7A96-4EBE-BC1C-AE6950D57681.jpeg

CE0658E3-E7D7-44F8-83CB-C59666E74C6A.jpeg
BACD87D3-ACBF-49E8-B024-D47D60F0F94F.jpeg
EB4EBF1E-D338-4DD7-95DF-CEF2F4602992.jpeg

Sounds good to me with the doors open and standing outside. Tomorrow I’ll road test it.

Every OE setup I've seen (which really isn't a whole lot) has the vapor barrier cut out around the speaker allowing the door void to be used as a sort of speaker box. Sometimes it works better that others, acoustically. I have tried the foam baffles in the past, and if you aren't running a separate subwoofer you'll likely be pretty unhappy with the results.

Back