Valvoline’s Lubricant Product Line to be Acquired by Saudi Aramco?

The Wall Street Journal reports Saudi Aramco may offer to buy Valvoline’s lubricants business. Valvoline has talked about separating its product division from its services/franchise business, so this makes some sense. Nothing definite, but this would likely be an unpopular outcome here..

Can't say I like the idea of another American company sellling out to a foreign interest. Guess it's globalization in action.

Begs the question - why would Valvoline drop their lubricant business - which has kept them successfully in business for a very long time - in favor of the oil change business?

So, there goes America’s original motor oil.

Yep they were first for motor oils, but not the first American lubrication company. ;) That would be Schaeffer, 1839.

With entities like China and Saudi Arabia salting away $US by the metric ton thus keeping our currency viable, it stands to reason that they must be able to buy our stuff with it lest it appears it has no value at all.

In the '80's-'90's when Japan was enjoying some financial success they acquired a 51% interest in the operation of Rockefeller Center and streamlined some music and television production as well as other ventures like real estate acquisition. Everyone thought the world was coming to an end.

I firmly believe the planet needs "tectonic trends control" as the huge direction changes made today lack local focus.

This is part of such a 'purely hippie economics' rap it doesn't violate the RSP prohibition.

Diversification by Saudi Arabia even if linked to crude oi, is extremely important.
There was a speech by the then Oil Minister. In it was a line that went something like this. “ My grandfather rode a camel. My father rode a Chevrolet. I ride a Mercedes Benz. My son rides a Lexus. Unless we diversify, my grandson will ride a camel.”

Last edited:
Another article on this possible buyout.

Also, Valvoline has made significant inroads into China. That has to be part of the reasoning here too.

A side story in all of this and mentioned in the Fuels and Lubes article is that Valvoline will be keeping their VIOC outlets and is expanding the services there to include batteries. My guess her is that they will expand further. Tires?

The other day I drove by the local VIOC early in the morning and they had half a dozen vehicles already lined up.

Diversification by Saudi Arabia even if linked to crude oi, is extremely important.
There was a speech by the then Oil Minister. In it was a line that went something like this. “ My grandfather rode a camel. My father rode a Chevrolet. I ride a Mercedes Benz. My son rides a Lexus. Unless we diversify, my grandson will ride a camel.”

We should not allow the acquisition until they try a Ford!

Not diversified enough in my opinion.

A side story in all of this and mentioned in the Fuels and Lubes article is that Valvoline will be keeping their VIOC outlets and is expanding the services there to include batteries. My guess her is that they will expand further. Tires?

The other day I drove by the local VIOC early in the morning and they had half a dozen vehicles already lined up.
They were doing batteries back when I was managing the stores, and that was well over 10 years ago..

Valvoline makes a huge amount of battery fluids (EV heat tranfer fluids). Aramco is trying to diversify because they are not actively growing oil production anymore. So they are getting into EV stuff and more downstream business to keep the green flowing (our green if course).

VIOC here has been pushing batteries forever, although they don't seem to want to load test the Transits-must be too hard to replace them. They did want to do the ones on my '04 E-350 6.0 PSD one time, mounted down on the frame under the side cargo doors-I talked them out of it...

Back