Valvoline XL-III 5w30

I picked up 3 bottles of this on clearance (AUD $13/5L). Used it in a 3cyl VW Polo - Works well. Supposedly increased smoothness, but of course that could be because the oil is new. Use it with confidence.

I agree, great universal oil. I got some on sale and I used it as my top up oil for everything.

The data sheet lists Noack as
Also note the CCS is
Valvoline XL-III 5W30 is one of my favourite oils. Great specs (SP, C3, MB229.51/52, VW 504/507, BMW LL-04, Porsche C30), mid-SAPS, regular Zinc levels (830 ppm), and high HTHS (3.5 cP).

Last edited:
Also note the CCS is
Correlation, I've noticed a few other Valvoline 5W30 oils, the thinner GF6 & Dexos1 versions, also give CCS <6200 cP. So I don't think too much can be read into it. It's probably a generic value to represent it's within the API limits. Nothing more.

I've been to three Advanced Autos and haven't found this. Does Auto Zone carry it? I don't remember seeing it at my WM either.

I started experimenting with Euro oils, and this one is next in the lineup after doing 1 run of M1 ESP 5W-30, which has basically the same certifications.

Looks good to me, but I'm no expert. I just bought some Valvoline EP which should be good, but I wish I had seen this.
You did fine buying the EP. It's D1/G3 and built well for Korean Hyunkia turbo engines.

Want to improve your oil choices even more? Get the lowered Calcium (sub1000) oils like Mobil-1 EP and Castrol Gold EP.
Also.... Always go up one grade / viscosity with these troublesome 4cyl engines from S. Korea

Last edited:
You can purchase XL-III from Valvoline website in the USA.
Quantity discounts and free shipping.

Back