Valvoline WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this site and would like some help on two items. First- I have been a Valvoline white bottle user for some time now,(father used it so....), but I picked up 3 jugs of Quaker State green bottle 5-30 at the local Kmart on sale for 11.99 each and thought I would give it a try. Some of my friends said I was stepping down but since the price was right it seemed worth a try. I would be using it in my 97 Prk.ave. that has 183,000 miles but runs like a top.Love that 3800 in it. I do 3,000 mile oil change intervals-live in N.D. so it gets cold up here in the winter so 5-30 for winter and 10-30 for summer. Allright to switch to Quaker State?
Second-Just bought an 03 Corolla and the previous owner used Mobil One synthetic in it. Would it make a differnce if I used Quaker State synthetic since it is about 8 bucks a jug cheaper? 6,000 mile oil changes on that one. I am not an oil expert so I am wondering if it is ok to switch brands. The corolla only has 60,000 miles on it and is in great shape.
Thanks in advance for any response 97Prk.Ave-VWB-napa gold filter
03 Corolla-Mobil one-wix filter
91 4x4 dakota-VWB-napa gold filter

you are definitely not "stepping down" by trying out quaker state. if anything, according to a test done on both oils, quaker state looks to have more additives (which will help clean and protect your engine)
http://www.pqiamerica.com/testresultssep2011.html
IMO quaker state is a better oil than valvoline white bottle. but some people claim that not all the additives show up in an oil report, so who knows.

on the topic of switching oils..feel free to switch away! you can switch between any brand of oil AND between conventional and synthetic with no issues!
cheers3.gif

Nodak, welcome to BITOG! Nothing wrong in switching to QS. It's a very good oil and it appears that your choice of filtration is also well thought out.
thumbsup2.gif

jmsjags- Thanks for the reply. You seem to know your stuff. I just checked the site that you indicated and it looks interesting but I am not sure what to look for in additives. What additives should one look for that would be beneficial?

JavierG-the napa filters I have been using for a few years based on recommendation by a friend who said that they were a good value and the wix was on the corolla when I bought it-will probably change to the napa when I change oil in 2 days.thanks for the reply

Only thing that concerns me with the Quaker State (especially where you live) is the 5W30 pour point is only -30c. But everything else looks good.

If the pour pt. on Quaker state is in question should I use a synthetic oil in a car that has 183,000 miles on it? Synthetic oils pour better in colder weather don't they? Or is it a waste of money on such a high mileage car? The car is in great shape and I think I should get at least another 80,000 miles out of it and it hardly uses any oil as it stands right now.

I dont want to mislead you re; this. Because everything else looks good on the spec sheet. However, if it were me up their I`d use the Ultimate Durability. If nothing else just piece of mind. Oh, and I`d go with the UD 10W30 year round.

Last edited:
10-30 in the winter? It would be ok to do that even if temps. get to minus 30 to 40? But this winter has been really really mild so far. Set records of 54 degrees yesterday and no snow thus far up here-UNREAL!! that is definetly abnormal. Usually it is below zero at this time of the year. That is why I always ran 5-30 in my vehicles. So the 10-30 would be ok huh? Might give it a try.

Well lets see, the viscosity @ 100c on the 10W30 is 10.8, -45c pour point, 11.1 Noack Volatility....I`d say you would be in Great shape. Oh and uh the winter this year so far....Totally odd is all I can say.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
Well lets see, the viscosity @ 100c on the 10W30 is 10.8, -45c pour point, 11.1 Noack Volatility....I`d say you would be in Great shape. Oh and uh the winter this year so far....Totally odd is all I can say.

These spec`s are for the Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD)Synthetic 10W30, not the green bottle Conventional oil.

Thanks so much for your info. I guess I will use the 5-30 Quaker State green bottle in my old 4x4 Dakota and give the 10-30 synthetic a whirl in the Buick. I plan on trying the 5-30 Quaker State synthetic in the 03 corolla since 5-30 is what the manual calls for. A friend of mine suggested I try this website for advice and he was right. Thanks again and I can definetly go for a mild winter -- we have had some real tough ones up here the last few years

Welcome aboard!

Personally, I like using the same oil for all of the cars I service, if possible. If I had your fleet I'd just run 5w30 (or 0w30 if you can find one at a reasonable price) in all of them.

If you want to use synthetic for the winter (yes I'm sure it's still coming) hold on to the QSGB till spring and use it then. But in all reality, the QSGB isn't going to hurt anything if you run it all year. The Park Avenue has made almost 200k miles so far, obviously conventional hasn't done too bad.

some good points cp^^ Now he`s got some deciding to do...
wink.gif
remember Nodak, these are just our personal opinions. I`m sure more people will give theirs as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
some good points cp^^ Now he`s got some deciding to do...
wink.gif
remember Nodak, these are just our personal opinions. I`m sure more people will give theirs as well.

Yup....just my opinion. The best answer is whatever works for you.

Yes! I fully understand and really do appreciate all comments. My buick really has done well on conventional oil and it is my 3rd Prk. ave. and the previous 2 have gotten to well over 250,000 miles on them before I got rid of them.I guess I was just curious if the Quaker State was not the same quality as Valvoline since the QS was about 5 bucks a jug cheaper, but it was pointed out to me that QS tested out great. I also was curious if the quality of the QS synthetic was as good as Mobil 1 synthetic since that too was about 8 bucks a jug cheaper. It appears that price does not always equal quality. I will give all comments some thought and it appears that QS is a very good oil (just have never used it). Since I have purchased the QS green bottle I will use them at least in the 4x4 and I suppose out of curiosity I just might give the QS synthetic a try in the buick and the corolla. If the synthetic seems to work well I will continue to use QS as it seems to be a good buy since it is quite a bit cheaper than Mobil 1. Thank you all once again - Having people on this site that are willing to help make decisions is greatly appreciated. I put a lot of miles on my vehicles before I get rid of them and I was taught a long time ago that oil changes at regular intervals with good filters is a cheap way to extend the life of the vehicle

I think decent add pack (only information we can get from VOA) does not necessarily mean that the base stock is good (thus overall a good oil).. Price point, pour point, odor difference from PYB all things considered, QSGB is likely using cheaper basestock.

Thanks 08 Sienna for the info.What about the QS synthetic? Is that a decent one to run? I have never used synthetic oil and the corolla I bought as I said earlier has had Mobil 1 in it. Should I stay with the M1 or can I use QS without too much worry?
As far as the conventional oil goes, does cheaper basestock mean I should stick with the valvoline that I have been using for years or should I switch to Pennzoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back