Not open for further replies.
2006 Scion tC TRD Supercharger
Odometer: 144,314 miles
Valvoline Racing Synthetic VR1 10w30 - SL formula
WIX Air & Oil filter

10% street/ 90% freeway: 1129 miles
HPDE Streets of Willow track day: 90 miles
Total miles placed on oil: 1219 miles

Recently installed an oil cooler on my car, should I be concerned about over cooling the engine oil? Judging from the report, should I switch to a thicker oil (5w40 or 10w40

Seems like an oil temp gauge should be your next mod to make sure the oil is kept at just the right temp.

I'm surprised to see the oil sheer so much considering its a racing oil which should be able to withstand the track abuse... hmmmm.

I don't like the viscosity reading, especially for a supercharged car. I'd bump it up to a xW40 oil, any will do especially since you live in California. Wear may be acceptable now, but the oil doesn't have that many miles, even with a track session. Color me precautious on that low viscosity.

I am glad I just got 6 free quarts of this stuff now! I don't race so I'm not to worried about shearing.

I wouldn't worry that much about shear if you have wear #'s like this, especially if you plan on short OCI's. Thank you for sharing this!

Idk what you guys are talking about, his wear rates per mile look pretty bad. If you don't count the shearing and he ran it for 5k, it would look BAAAAAAAD!

Originally Posted By: Artem
Seems like an oil temp gauge should be your next mod to make sure the oil is kept at just the right temp.

I'm surprised to see the oil sheer so much considering its a racing oil which should be able to withstand the track abuse... hmmmm.

I don't think I'd consider this stuff a racing oil. It's an oil labeled as racing oil but it would be best described as Synpower with extra ZDDP.

If you want real racing oil from valvoline you'd want to buy their non-street legal stuff.

So what kind of oil do you suggest?
Now that I've added an oil cooler, I'm hoping that it'll help with the oil shearing.

I'm fairly happy with the report, it seems like the oil did its job in protecting my engine considering that I drove 90 track miles in 5 sessions, each 15-20 mins non stop at 4k-6k, running hard!

Also, this is non intercooled Supercharger setup.

Sorry to mention, the first UOA is castrol edge 5w30.

Last edited:
sup kikaz, I remember seeing the first report a while back. Too bad they changed the Edge formulation, I wonder what it would look like with the new one. This report might not look as good, but this free oil got it's fair share of punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back