Valvoline VR1 Racing Full Synthetic 20W50, 2.6k mi OCI, 10k mi, C7 Corvette Z06

UOA through https://www.speediagnostix.com/:

Notes from report:
-9854 miles, 224 engine hours on engine
-2646 miles (street+track), 56 engine hours (street+track) on current OCI

This UOA is cumulative with the other Valvoline UOAs.

-Oil sample was taken when oil + filter were changed. The oil cooler and oil thermostat (180F to 212F) were both changed and I needed to drain the oil. This has the same amount of track time as the last UOA, just with street miles added in.

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 4.47.47 PM.png

Last edited:
IMO This oil is some great competition to corvette/mobile recommended oils. The wear rate is a little high but that doesn't mean the oil couldn't go a bit longer in the sump. 3-4,000 mile runs would be doable with this oil. Even for track racing.

Yeah, you're probably right. I could have extended this oil for much longer, but I want to try the DI50 for next season, and then the Red Line 15W-50 and see which one does better in terms of wear, oil viscosity loss, oil temperature on track, and how much I need to top it up. The fuel dilution in this and other UOAs is mostly due to the oil not coming up to at least 200F when taking the oil sample. I've replaced the oil thermostat, so future UOAs will have much less fuel dilution. In fact, I have an UOA with a short OCI that I will be posting shortly showing the new DI50 after a few hours of street driving and the results compared to a previous short OCI UOA being fairly encouraging.

Yeah, you're probably right. I could have extended this oil for much longer, but I want to try the DI50 for next season, and then the Red Line 15W-50 and see which one does better in terms of wear, oil viscosity loss, oil temperature on track, and how much I need to top it up. The fuel dilution in this and other UOAs is mostly due to the oil not coming up to at least 200F when taking the oil sample. I've replaced the oil thermostat, so future UOAs will have much less fuel dilution. In fact, I have an UOA with a short OCI that I will be posting shortly showing the new DI50 after a few hours of street driving and the results compared to a previous short OCI UOA being fairly encouraging.

Is that the VOA you posted... Meaning you plan to run the d150 15w-50? The great thing about thicker oil w/some minor fuel delusion is the oil will stay thicker since it starts thicker lol. I'm just talking out loud here. I don't think your fuel is too far out of line.. it's a sports car after all right? I got hooked on the 80's corvettes while a young lad & about bought a 97+ BUT I ended up buying a 98 Eldorado 300HP. It had a back seat ha ha. I was afraid of using the corvette as my daily in MO winters. Anyways, I'll keep up on your samples. As for this Valvoline... It's formulated similar to a lot of diesel oil's. It's some stout oil! Will watch for your next post as I'm always curious about these Corvettes.

fantastic, yeah, I posted the DI50 VOA. The engine that's in my C7 Corvette is not actually stock anymore, it's been rebuilt so I've been trying to figure out what the best oil for it is. Mobil 1 15W-50 worked fine on the original LT4 engine, but based on my UOAs it was shearing very badly. VR1 was recommended by the engine builder, and it was much better. However, I think I can do even better with DI50 or Red Line 15W-50, so I'll run DI50 for a while, and then Red Line 15W-50 and see which one does better.

edyvw, I think that was for the base Corvette with the LT1 which has much lower oil temperatures.

It does burn oil on the road course track, that's why I need to top it off. You can even see a slight oil mist on the back bumper after a session. That's to be expected when the engine sits at 4-6k RPM for 30 mins. However, on the street it's fine.

Back