VALVOLINE SYNPOWER OIL TREATMENT from Blackstone Labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
From MolaKule
quote:

How do VII's work? The simplest answer is that they cause the viscocsity of the total oil package to increase in viscosity as the temperature rises, and effect the oil very little at lower temperatures, thus preventing the oil from thinning out of its multiviscosity grade when temps rise.

quote:

One has to not only consider the 100 C viscosity, but the thickening effect at 0 F. I suspect it would raise CC and pour point somewhat as well.

So how could Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment have a negative effect on the CC and pour point if the Synpower additive acts as a VI improver ? I would think that cold weather performance is improved. yes? , no ?
dunno.gif

Any VII is going to raise both the high temp and CC portion of the scale. If it's a high quality VII, then maybe not so much.

If it's simply a partial synthetic base with high vis base fluids, then it would raise viscosity at both ends of the scale.

i have a question, im using motorcraft 5w20(i think is to thin)and i put in a bottle of maxlife oil treatment, so my q is what oil grade did i end up with?

I did some calculations using Mobil 0w20 and Synpower. I used a calculator there was a link to in an earlier post. Theoretically if you use 2 parts 0w20 to 1 part Synpower you end up with 40 weight. If the Synpower has a lot of viscosity index improvers it may be very close to 5w40.

quote:

Originally posted by aztec12:
i have a question, im using motorcraft 5w20(i think is to thin)and i put in a bottle of maxlife oil treatment, so my q is what oil grade did i end up with?

I think dino 20wts don't cut it " in the long term " either so we agree .
smile.gif

You no longer have an SAE grade oil to answer your question when using that much additive .A light 30wt most likely . Just like mixing M1 , it works out ok most times but depending most guys doing it are running more closer to a straight grade when doing the 5w-30/15w-50 thing .

i went to add this additive to my oil today and it was almost thick as clay i have 6 bottles of this stuff sitting in the garage where it is very cold ,temp in garage, on the coldest out side temp is 32 f inside garage when it is 10 f outside and these bottles were very hard to pour out....just think of this stuff over night in yyour engine out side!!!no way not using this stuff anymore

I was thinking of adding 1 ounce of synpower and 2 ounces of 0w20 per quart per quart of Mobil 1 0w40.

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i went to add this additive to my oil today and it was almost thick as clay i have 6 bottles of this stuff sitting in the garage where it is very cold ,temp in garage, on the coldest out side temp is 32 f inside garage when it is 10 f outside and these bottles were very hard to pour out....just think of this stuff over night in yyour engine out side!!!no way not using this stuff anymore

Auto Rx would be about as thick if left in the same temperature. Put it by your furnace* the day before you plan to install it (it will pour nicely then), have the engine hot, then run it a few miles after adding the Synpower to mix it well. Once mixed it will not thicken like the concentrate in the bottle.

Also, I believe it is better to store your spare oil and additives in the basement where it does not freeze, nor get too hot. It helps the shelf life.

*FOOTNOTE: If you put it too close your house will begin to smell very nice after the bottle melts and it runs all over the ducting.
smile.gif

I thined out some Auto Rx by setting the bottle on top the humidifier. Got it nice, warm, and thin without risk of melting the bottle as the humidifier top is a plasticky material.

The two items to remember is that Auto-RX is a set of esters while the Valvoline "Silver" is a set of additives in a VII and high viscosity synthetic oils.

Any VII will raise both Pour Point and high end viscosity. And with thick synthetic base oils, the Valvoline treatment will increase viscosity of any host oil. The Auto-RX will not.

There is one way to find out if the Valvoline additive raises viscosity significantly. Take 4 quarts of say a known 10W30 that has a VOA and dump a whole bottle of the Valvoline additive in it and send a sample to Terry Dyson for viscosity and final additive analysis.

I don't think that adding 1 oz/quart of Vavoline additve would increase the viscosity by more than 1 cSt, but I suspect a whole bottle would raise it significantly. A whole bottle would most likely raise the Pour Point and CC viscosity.

Had the Vavoline additive package been formulated with 12 cSt synthetic oils alone, you would not see viscosity increases in the host oil. Why they decided to include a thick VII in the formulation to get approx. a 28 cSt viscosity is beyond me.

In terms of Off-the-Shelf additives, it seems that the "thicker is better" mentality is the only psychology that sells.

Wondering which analysis to believe - the one with moly at 3491, or the other with moly at 234?

Went to PBs today and got a bottle anyway, put in a stingy 3 oz of it into the QS 10W-30 (7 qt capacity) my Trailblazer has, thinking I was fortifying the anti-wear additives. My Trailblazer can sit for days sometimes so my idea was to help with that first startup. If the weaker version, probably not enough to make a difference at that rate. Thoughts on this, anyone?

quote:

Originally posted by tblazed:
If the weaker version, probably not enough to make a difference at that rate. Thoughts on this, anyone?

I think you want to go one ounce per quart of oil. But I like better the idea of throwing some Redline oil in instead. Like the idea of having some esters in the mix.

My situation is with this vehicle, it gets driven maybe 4,000 miles a year. Decided to use regular Quaker State and stick to their schedule changing every 4 months, or 3 times a year. I do see a little condensate on the bottom of the oil filler cap on cold days so I don't think changing the oil 3 times a year to get out the moisture buildup can hurt.

With that in mind, and TallPaul and MoleKule's advice not to go more than 1 oz per quart, I think I will divvy up the 15 oz bottle into 3 - 5oz treatments. That will be a little less than the 1 oz per qt (works out to .7 oz/qt) but I would think should still be effective combined with the anti wear-friction reducing additives already in the oil. Does that make sense?

This is probably a dumb question but would it be perfectly safe to add this at 1oz/1qt to oil that was something other than Valvoline?
confused.gif
In other words would I be safe using it with Pennzoil 10w-30? The additives in this look amazing !!!!

quote:

Originally posted by 2004 F150 4x4:
This is probably a dumb question but would it be perfectly safe to add this at 1oz/1qt to oil that was something other than Valvoline?
confused.gif
In other words would I be safe using it with Pennzoil 10w-30? The additives in this look amazing !!!!

I just bought a bottle last week and was thinking the same thing.

Would it be safe to add it in a variety of oils?

In my case, I plan to add it w/ the 2 cases of Motul E-Tech 0w40(split to 3 dosages/1.8T engine)of w/c AFAIK moly and boron are lacking.

Sure, just verify the regimen with a UOA to see how things are working and to fine tune the application. LC is a great miscibility agent to add with the VEP. Better yet procure some SX-UP from Specialty Formulations and use a more advanced add booster. While supporting the site.

Leave the Motul alone, thats a nightmare to dose all its own. LC maybe but no traditional adds IMHO.

Miscibility
The ability of one liquid to mix with (dissolve in) another liquid.

I just had to look that one up.
Terry, you're the Best!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Leave the Motul alone, thats a nightmare to dose all its own. LC maybe but no traditional adds IMHO.

Thanks for the headsup, Terry. Would SPOT mix well w/ 15w or 10w40 Durablend though? It's going to run in an old 190E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back