Valvoline synpower/ maxlife synpower OCI miles??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on:
•Your vehicle
•Environment
•Driving style
•Oil filter

But I'd trust Valvoline synthetic oils as much as any other non-extended drain major brands.

I personally would not go more than 10,000 miles with Valvoline Synpower or Synpower with Maxlife (using a long life oil filter). Of course if you happened to drive almost all highway miles, you could probably go longer. Some newer engine designs like gasoline direct injection, along with turbochargers would call for shorter oci, like 5-8000 miles, tops. To know for sure in any application, an oil analysis test or two would let you know for sure how long you could go using a particular oil in your engine.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Depends on:
•Your vehicle
•Environment
•Driving style
•Oil filter

Very true

10,000 miles is a pretty easy run in a Ford 4.6 or Chevy 5.3
grin.gif

Different engines have different characteristics because the PCV and EGR are putting contaminants into the combustion chamber and this eventually contaminates the oil along with the blow by past the rings that end up in the oil instead of going through the PCV valve. I use the ELM on my 6 liter Chev which usually Indictates at 6,000 miles, but if the engine oil is black before then, I change it. The 2014 and up Chev 5.3 and 6.2 tend to indicate at 7500 miles.
I don’t push past what the ELM says. This is with full synthetic.

SF

Depends on:
•Your vehicle
•Environment
•Driving style
•Oil filter

But I'd trust Valvoline synthetic oils as much as any other non-extended drain major brands.

This.

Too bad Valvoline doesn't believe in their oil as much as you do; this is what is so off-putting to me about Valvoline products: https://valvoline.promo.eprize.com/engineguarantee/display_page

Part of which reads, "A Word on Oil Change Indicator Lights

We believe most consumers can rely on these indicator lights, even though they represent only a computer’s guess that it is time for an oil change. Typically, such systems continuously monitor everything from vehicle speed, rpm, oil and coolant temperature in order to calculate motor oil additive degradation. A more accurate assessment of your oil's condition would require laboratory testing. We decided to stick with the 3,000 to 4,000 mile interval for the Valvoline Limited Engine Guarantee to be safe and reflect the way most people drive. At Valvoline’s laboratory and engine testing facilities we’ve NEVER seen an engine failure when the oil is changed at 3,000 to 4,000 miles using quality Valvoline products."

So, they want you to buy their synthetic oil and run it to a max of 4000 miles, ignore the OLM, ignore your personal driving style, and buy more Valvoline because they've never seen an engine fail with 3000 mile oil changes with their products.

At best, the logic is archaic, and at worst it's just marketing hype.

While I agree with you to a large degree... One thing I think to keep in mind here is that Valvoline "believes" most people are driving rather short trips without getting the motor up to full operating temp.

However, I do not think that is true in many instances for many people. In fact many people do drive over 30 minutes to get to work or somewhere else here in the US. Thus negating the negative effects of short tripping on the car's motor oil.

I do agree with you that this limitation set by Valvoline is too low indeed.

Last edited:
Well I was going to let everyone and myself knowhow these oils go on short range driving, short intervals and long intervals but I'm deploying again so it kind of screwed up my plans. I changed both our cars (check sig) with this oil in 0W-20 this past December. I'm going to change the Accords again because I don't know when I'll be back and the wife has something to last a little longer. My car is going to sit and get driven like once a month so I'm not worried.

I'll get a UOA if possible before I leave in the coming weeks from the Accord and it'll roughly have around 2500 miles on it. I know it ain't much but it's something. When I come back she should have a decent amount of mileage on the oil with the FRAM Ultra filter.

Short trips, GDI, turbos, driving habits, miles per year, etc... All of these and more factor into how often to change your oil. I like valvoline and use it in my vehicles with confidence. On the other hand, these oils can work wonders over the oils produced 5-10 years ago so 10K could be reasonable in your case. Commuting with a toyota 2.5 camry I would routinely do 10K.

Short trip the Toyota so OCI is never over 5K
TGDI in the Ford so OCI is never over 5K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back