Valvoline Synpower 5W40 in 2001.5 VW Passat 1.8T 5041 on sample

Status
Not open for further replies.

CB2

Valvoline Synpower 5W40
2001.5 170hp VW Passat 1.8T - chipped, ~200hp, 14psi boost
29175 miles on engine, 5041 on oil, no make up.
Oil filter - PureOne PL20252
Air filter - K&N Panel replacement type

Al 3
Cr 1
Fe 9
Cu 7
Pb 1
Sn 1
Mo 4
Ni/Mn/Ag/Ti/K/B - all 0
Si 11
Ca 2972
Mg 10
P 733
Zn 908
Ba 0

SUS @ 210 C - 65.7
Flashpoint - 375F
Fuel Anitfreez - 0%
Water - 0%
Insolubles - 0.5%

This report looks very good! In your other posts you were looking into switching oils but I don't think you've got any worries here, this report shows the Synpower to be getting the job done! I wouldn't even worry about the 0.5% insolubles too much either, that will probably be lower with a less restrictive oil filter (the PureONE is one of the more restrictive ones and could plug up quicker)

You would probably see even better numbers (and possibly lower insolubles) by swapping out that K&N air filter for a paper one. You'll certainly lower your silicon content, which isn't bad, but could be better (my wife's 5000 mile UOA in her Civic showed only 4ppm of silicon with a Fram air filter)

Nice report. I'd probably go back to using the VW OEM oil filter though. If price is an issue, you can find them on line for as little as $5.50 a piece.

By the way,
welcome.gif
to BITOG!

Yeah, I believe I'll be switching oil filters to either a oem Mann filter or to a larger filter to increase capacity of the system. Filters I've heard will fit are Wix 51333 or Mann A6000-26839, both for a volvo 2.4L turbo diesel and with 30 PSI bypass valves (33 psi is stock I believe). Filter would be more than double the size of oem, ~7"X3.7" diameter. Any thoughts?

As long as you can find the space for it under the hood, go for it.
grin.gif
AFAIK, there isn't enough space under the hood of my A4 1.8T to fit a filter that's double the size of the OEM one. Not sure if Passat has more free space around the filter area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back